What is up with some people

Options
I got on the scales this morning and I have lost 5 pounds altogether since I started this 2 and a half weeks ago which I am so happy about cos at first it wasn't shifting and now those 5 pounds have disappear whoop whoop.

I was in such a good mood then I came into work and as I was excited I said to a girl who I work quite closely with that I had lost those first 5 pounds and I literally just got a grunt back and she looked straight through me. Everyone else is in a mood in the office today which has brought my mood down so I ask you what is up with some people?????..................

also does anyone know how to update your ticker with the pounds you have lost, I can't work it out

Replies

• lOvEly805
    Options
    dont let these people bring ya down! be proud of your accomplishment its not easy to lose weight.
    Some people just cannot be happy for others no matter what .
  • start121
    start121 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    oh some people can just kill your buzz - don't let them. You have just had your first big result!!! Whoop!!!

To update your weight, when you are on your mfp home page on the left you should be able to 'weigh in'. you click this and it takes you to a page where you can add your current weight and MFP updates this on your ticker :-)

Good luck with the next 5lbs :-)
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Click on 'my home' and then on 'check in' and update your new weight there. The ticker will update itself.

I think in a work setting, some people are often grumpy because they don't really want to be there, and maybe they have unpleasant stuff going on in their own life, so they don't want to hear a colleague's victories. And sometimes it's a simple case of someone being focused on work and not really paying attention to chitchat. I would only tell people you're close to and who will be genuinely happy for you because they wish good things for you - and in a social setting where you're both chatting and engaged with what each other is saying.
  • trunkfish
    trunkfish Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Well done to you! Don't worry about other people. Maybe she's trying to lose weight herself and nothing's happening - or she's put on weight! It can be hard to be overjoyed for other people at times. Surround yourself with those you feel comfortable with and who will back you up. :happy:
  • virgocoley
    virgocoley Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Yeah you are all right, it's just I had a really bad year last year cos my husband passed away of cancer and then my mum and my grandad passed away so getting back on track was really difficult, I am just starting to do that and had a small piece of positive news that I wanted to share - oh well, I will just tell my family from now on and sod the rest of them
  • the3rdwife
    the3rdwife Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    5lbs is alot! go put 5 cans of beans or soup in a back pack & put it on, you will get a real shock at how much 5lbs feels like on your body
  • virgocoley
    Options
    good idea - I'm going to do that
  • Restybaby2012
    Restybaby2012 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Virgo..........you're doing a good thing..........shout it from the roof tops if you want. Dont let some doofus stifle you. Sounds like you had one helluva year, you deserve to be happy and proud over this weight loss journey.

Stand strong
  • Miss_dannii
    Miss_dannii Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Some people just don't like to see others succeed in anything. xx
  • creature275
    creature275 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I think your being over sensative about it actually, I mean its awesome you have had some sucess but most people are not very easily impressed with other peoples achievements and thats not necesarily a terrible trait in people your goals and the means you took to get there are yours alone enjoy the fruits of your labor, if your doing it for other people then your doing it for the wrong reasons, you need to do it for yourself and appreciate every bit of progress yourself as well, if you rely on other peoples opinion for motivation then your going to be easily hurt...as is apparently the case now
  • SherriLibrarian
    Options
    You look very fit and pretty in your picture. My guess is that she needs to lose weight more than you do. Or if she is thin, she still doesn't look as good as you. So it's just her. Keep up the good work!
  • virgocoley
    Options
    Thank you for all your comments, I feel better.

creature275 I understand what you are saying, I think I sounded more upset than I actually am in my post. I am not upset just in a bit of a bad mood. I don't rely on other peoples opinions, I rely on my image in the mirror and that is my motivation and I am totally doing this for me,
  • nixxy74
    nixxy74 Posts: 106
    Options
    Oh youve just found out something very valuable about this person....shes one of THOSE people. They say they are your friend and then when you have any success or start to threaten them in some way they get negative, dare I say nasty. My mum shockingly was like that so now i dont bother. yep..i really dont!

and if you have to stick around these people just say in the sweetest way thankyou for your comments I really apreciate it if you support me to change my life.if they respond again nastily. then really draw the line and stand up for yourself.

give her and anyone else like this a wide berth and keep up lowering the girth. :bigsmile:
  • virgocoley
    Options
    thank you, yeah it's crazy when people start to show their true colours, it amazes me, well I'll let her and all the rest of them carry on being in a bad mood, I've picked myself up and nothing is going to bring me down !!!
  • Tat2dDom624
    Tat2dDom624 Posts: 1,226 Member
    Options
    I think some people are jealous of other people's sucesses, and have no other response but a negative one. I don't mention to anyone at my job (except for one co-worker who i have known for over 20 years) about me losing weight. I'm positive they probably notice it, but don't say anything...........and that's fine with me.
  • boji123
    boji123 Posts: 2
    Options
    Congrats! I too know how you feel. I just started and have lost my first 5 lbs. but don't feel I can share it as they do not know how hard it has been and only look at what I have to loose yet. Keep up the good work!:smile:
  • DonC77
    DonC77 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    thank you, yeah it's crazy when people start to show their true colours, it amazes me, well I'll let her and all the rest of them carry on being in a bad mood, I've picked myself up and nothing is going to bring me down !!!

That right there shows you are the bigger person. Continue on your journey it is yours and the are those who will want to share in it and those that don't.

BTW good job on the weight lose! Keep at it!
  • heroyalslimness
    heroyalslimness Posts: 591 Member
    Options

creature275 I understand what you are saying, I think I sounded more upset than I actually am in my post. I am not upset just in a bit of a bad mood. I don't rely on other peoples opinions, I rely on my image in the mirror and that is my motivation and I am totally doing this for me,

It's no judgement if you were upset ---:grumble: who's to determine where on the Richter scale your particular range of sensitivity "should" fall. I do not think you were being over-sensitive---whatever that means.

The reaction to a friendly disclosure was rude--I'm glad you came where you could get support and let it go

and NOW CELEBRATION!!

CONGRATS ON THE FIRST FIVE!!!!:flowerforyou:
  • Tracy7155
    Tracy7155 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Virgo, you should read this EXCELLENT blog post from a fellow MFP'er

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/futuresize8/view/they-talk-a-lot-don-t-they-408117irgo,

and then pat yourself on the back, because 5lbs IS A BIG DEAL! :happy:
    In fact, it's awesome! Good for you! :flowerforyou:
  • virgocoley
    Options

It's no judgement if you were upset ---:grumble: who's to determine where on the Richter scale your particular range of sensitivity "should" fall. I do not think you were being over-sensitive---whatever that means.

The reaction to a friendly disclosure was rude--I'm glad you came where you could get support and let it go

and NOW CELEBRATION!!

CONGRATS ON THE FIRST FIVE!!!!:flowerforyou:

aww thanks, yeah MFP was the first place I came as I know everyone on here would understand my rant, everyone is so great on here and supportive, couldn't do without you all xx