Thanksgiving: What will you make?

Options

Replies

• Wabbit05
    Wabbit05 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    My mother in law does Thanksgiving and my mother does Christmas. I think they would flip if I tried giving my "healthy alternatives" to their family traditions. So I'm just going to eat small portions, and allow myself to enjoy their food. Besides, I only get their cooking once a year (each).
  • innocenceportrayed
    innocenceportrayed Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Everything we always have, all the food that is fattening and I'll feel so stuffed like I gained 10 pounds but I'll love every minute of it:

homemade noodles(like literally made from scratch) with turkey broth(from the turkey)....sooooo rich and creamy, yum
    4-5 different kinds of pies (usually apple,pumpkin, strawberry cheesecake--i make, oreo and maybe one other)
    Honey glazed ham with pineapple
    Fruit and veggie tray
    Deviled eggs
    Baked macaroni
    Mashed potatoes
    Gravy
    cranberry
    stuffing
  • MsKeelah919
    MsKeelah919 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Why did no one eat the cranberry sauce?
  • katrwal
    katrwal Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Haven't started thinking about how to (sneakily) lighten up Thanksgiving dinner yet, but here's what I cook (we call it Fakesgiving - it's the Saturday before - helps with the inlaw conflicts):
    - 2 turkeys (cornbread stuffing on the side)
    - redskin mashed potatoes
    - sweet potatoes with sour cream & nutmeg (Emeril recipe - LOVE LOVE LOVE)
    - meatballs & gravy
    - buttered noodles
    - butternut squash soup
    - dill pickle soup
    - green bean casserole
    - candied carrots

i'll make a salad - and be the only one who eats any of it...

then, dessert:
    - regular pecan pie
    - kentucky pecan pie (with chocolate chips & bourbon)
    - apple pie
    - chocolate chip cookies
    - oatmeal raisin cookies
    - drunken oatmeal raisin cookies (soak the raisins in spiced rum the day before - HOLEY MOLEY)

with all of that - 20 people come over - i usually cook over the whole week before... and i almost never have leftovers.

on the up side - this is the easy holiday. Christmas & Easter get really elaborate. :drinker:
  • Bakerchk
    Bakerchk Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    One day is NOT going to kill anyone. There is no way that I would put healthy alternatives on the table for Thanksgiving. I usually don't cook, so that's fine. But if you are worried about it, just eat in moderation. Don't fill up your plate until it's falling off the sides. I can't eat like that anymore anyways, but I usually have a couple of slices of Turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, roll and cranberries. I doubt my thanksgiving dinner is more than 500 calories and I'm stuffed!
  • lorib75
    lorib75 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    My husband's family always does the cooking. I'm relegated to a side and a dessert. I always bring brussel sprouts. Lemon and garlic sauteed in olive oil then add the sprouts to crisp up a bit. Delicious!
  • NataBost
    NataBost Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    My husband does the cooking, but he'll be making all of the traditionals. Thanksgiving is my absolutely FAVORITE holiday and you don't screw with my thanksgiving dinner. My mom tried to make homemade sourdough biscuits one year but I INSISTED on the cheap-@ss brown and serve rolls because that's what we ALWAYS have. We now refer to them as CARS in our house! :) My parents weren't at my house last year, but my husband insisted in making my mom's stuffing for me because he knew I'd miss it! :)

Edited to add our standard menu:

Turkey
    Giblet Stuffing (His mom's)
    Sage stuffing (My Mom's)
    Cranberry sauce and jelly
    mashed potatoes
    Rolls
    corn and/or green beans
    Green Bean casserole
    Pie (usually apple, pumpkin, and cherry)

I am so with you :) It's probably my favorite holiday as well. Last year I did a 5K Turkey Trot, so I think I evened out by the time the Turkey hit the table.

14496283.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    I love Thanksgiving, it's my favorite holiday! I don't know anything about food yet, we're more focused on where we're going to watch the Texans vs. Lions game! It starts at 11:30, so should we watch at a bar, or home while cooking?? I'm stoked!
  • MissShancey
    Options
    Why did no one eat the cranberry sauce?

none of us are cranberry sauce people lol ... we didnt even try it .. i just made it because it seemed like i should lol .. ill skip it this year lol
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    One day is NOT going to kill anyone. There is no way that I would put healthy alternatives on the table for Thanksgiving. I usually don't cook, so that's fine. But if you are worried about it, just eat in moderation. Don't fill up your plate until it's falling off the sides. I can't eat like that anymore anyways, but I usually have a couple of slices of Turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, roll and cranberries. I doubt my thanksgiving dinner is more than 500 calories and I'm stuffed!
    I'm SO with you. Calories don't count on Thanksgiving!
  • NataBost
    NataBost Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I'm SO with you. Calories don't count on Thanksgiving!

**Or any other major "eating" holiday. ;) All in moderation!

14496283.png
  • CarleyLovesPets
    CarleyLovesPets Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I'm going probably go over that day and make it a cheat day, but I know I'll change up a few things.

Turkey (not a fan of ham).
    Low sodium stuffing.
    Instead of lots of mashed potatoes I am going to have LOTS of mashed turnip (I seriously love turnip) with a bit of potatoes.
    Low sodium gravy.

Maybe I'll even make my own healthier pumpkin pie, I am sure there are healthier recipes out there.

The same things, just healthier versions of them!
  • zestyzaftig
    zestyzaftig Posts: 103 Member
    Options

Very true! Plus, I burn so many calories single-handedly preparing the giant feast from scratch, I could probably make everything traditional/full-fat and not gain a pound, hehe
  • tripitena
    tripitena Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I always use healthy recipes for all the foods. Despite it being a holiday I see no reason to fall off the wagon dietarily. As thanksgiving is a secular holiday rather than a religious one we dont have a problem celebrating, we make it part of our fall harvest celebration(pagan).

For the family I'll make the traditional fare:

Roasted turkey breasts(dry rub)
    Homemade stuffing(whole wheat bread, veggie broth, lots of chopped fresh veggies, no butter)
    Tamales (not a healthy item but a must-have for the family)
    Green chile carne (very lean beef, lots of veggies, no added fat or salt)
    Smashed taters n' gravy (veggie based gravy, very little butter & fat free milk in taters)
    Sweet taters baked with apples & pecans(no sweeteners)
    Spinach salad (lite and fat free dressing choices, no cheese, egg or croutons)
    Roasted corn on the cob(seasoned, no butter, fresh corn doesnt need it)
    Homemade whole wheat rolls
    Homemade cranberry-orange relish (very little cane sugar)
    Pecan pie (my specialty, a low fat/ sugar recipe)
    Punkin pie (real punkin, low fat evaporated milk, low sugar)
    Fruit pie (to be decided by the kids, still as little sugar as I can)

I'll have the non- meat sides and a Harvest Roast.

We'll wash it all down with lowfat homemade eggnogg, milk, unsweet tea, and/or white wine
  • hillbillyannie
    hillbillyannie Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    We'll have a family gathering. Turkey probably but I'm sure there will be ham (I don't eat), and maybe venison, along with all the trimmings. I will just eat small bites of several things. The foods I will have to watch are the stuffing, deviled eggs and also cranberry sauce. These are ones that are weaknesses of mine. I can avoid the mashed potatoes but love sweet potatoes. So like I said, it's a bite of this and a bite of that and maybe 1/4 cup if I really want to indulge. I'll just smell the pecan pie. LOL
  • sammyjo0009
    Options
    this year we are having Prie Rib, seasoned baked potatoes, yeast rolls,bread pudding, cranberry sause, asparagus.
  • oreillyn
    oreillyn Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    -Tofurky
    -not a fan of the tofurky stuffing, so we'll make homemade
    -Homemade cranberry sauce
    -Some sort of salad

The family will be making other traditional stuff (a real turkey etc...)

:D
  • stomachflu
    stomachflu Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Turkey
    Stuffing (homemade)
    Mashed Potato Casserole (from The Deranged Spud)
    Brussel Sprouts cooked in Bacon
    Green Been Casserole
    Peas & Carrots

Course saying that..we will probably be in the UK again for Thanksgiving so will have to have all that for Christmas *laff*
  • dvnjustina
    dvnjustina Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Thanksgiving is my absolute favorite time of the year. I'm cutting back on what I make this year since no one usually shows up for the meal anyways. For three people:

Roasted turkey breast with a butter herb rub.
    Homemade gravy from the pan drippings and turkey stock. I buy turkey backs or wings and make stock the day before.
    Sausage apple stuffing made with fresh sage sausage, whole wheat bread, dried fruit, tons of vegetables and turkey stock.
    Pomegranate apple salad.
    Mashed potatoes. I'm a huge potato fan.
    Twice baked sweet potatoes.
    Green bean casserole with fresh beans, mushrooms and caramelized onions. I might make the cream sauce from scratch.
    Some type of rolls or bread, homemade.
    Pumpkin pie with real whipped cream.
    Grape pie or at least attempt it with grapes from our vine.

I figure with all the prep work I do along with using the least amount of processed foods, the calories don't matter much. I should be alright as long as I stick to smaller portion sizes. Usually the big meal is the only thing I eat all day except a slice a pie for breakfast.
  • cblevitron
    cblevitron Posts: 243
    Options
    i plan to stuff myself full of delicious, moist turkey, turkey gravy, cranberry sauce and pumpkin pie. NO REGRETS :drinker: