Human rights or Moral Dilemna

Options
So I was reading this article... It is one of those fine lines of morals but also human rights..

What is right and what is wrong?

What are your thoughts?

http://www.theage.com.au/world/condemned-to-a-life-of-torture-uk-denies-righttodie-legal-challenge-20120817-24bya.html

Replies

• obrendao
    obrendao Posts: 318
    Options
    I believe in the right to die with dignity to avoid needless suffering. It's a huge dilemma with the advancements in medicine these days. For me it's about quality of life vs. quantity. There's a movie with Richard Dreyfuss called "Whose Life Is It Anyway?" regarding this exact issue, he plays a quadriplegic who actively seeks to end his life. So sad. Being Libertarian I believe government should leave it alone. Problem is legal wrangling, so everyone should definitely get a living will.
  • clydethecat
    clydethecat Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    human rights issue. we should all be allowed to do with our bodies as we see fit. i certainly dont need the state telling me i cant. i feel so bad for this guy. torture.
  • HealthyNFit4Life
    HealthyNFit4Life Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I agree. He has the right. This is terribly sad.
  • Carol_L
    Carol_L Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    It is one of these unfortunate circumstances, where someone who is apparently lucid and otherwise in their right mind want to make a decision to kill themselves to avoid suffering the long term debilitations of their condition.

If we were all a society of rational beings, this wouldn't be an issue - the problem is that we are not. Many people are not aware, but it's been documented in the Netherlands, where there is legalized euthanasia, approximately 25% of cases where it has been administered the patient had not requested it. If this were to become normalized, how many elderly or disabled people might be finding themselves pressured by medical personnel, or even family members, to consider an early exit? In Canada, and in Britain (I am Canadian btw) many elderly patients don't receive the same standard of care because it is easier in a system of socialized medicine if they just died. Many times, as much through omission as commission, tests and treatments are delayed in the hopes that the patient just quietly shuffles off their mortal coil.

This is one place where the law of unintended consequences can have serious implications. Think very carefully about what you're asking for here.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    It's a very sad situation. Too often, people place the value of human life on productivity. His life may seem not worth living to others and even himself, but I do not support euthanasia. I believe his life has meaning, even in the condition he is in. We may not understand what that meaning is, but I just can't support ending a life because it's not viewed as "worth living".
  • pittskaa
    pittskaa Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    that made me really sad. if they were in his situation i bet they would want the same thing. it's his own body. he should be able to do what he wants with it.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    It's a very sad situation. Too often, people place the value of human life on productivity. His life may seem not worth living to others and even himself, but I do not support euthanasia. I believe his life has meaning, even in the condition he is in. We may not understand what that meaning is, but I just can't support ending a life because it's not viewed as "worth living".

I think this is my stance as well. (In this case) This isn't a case where somebody is terminal. He has just deemed himself not worthy of living. The slippery slope here is who determines who's life is not worthy. What criteria in law could be set to decide who lives and who dies based on worthiness to society. Do we start killing off all the people with severe mental disabilities who are not productive in society.
  • RejoicingL
    RejoicingL Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    agree with previous poster totally.

I thing we try to give ourselves too many rights. I don't think any one has promised us a "right to die". Death is not something we should be in control of.
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I think the right thing to do in that case is to mind one's own business, as far as the law is concerned. It's his choice and his alone; nobody has any right to tell him he has to live like that if he doesn't want to.
  • martymum
    martymum Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Its not just a case of 'his body his right', he wants to ask his doctors to kill him...we need to think very carefully before we have a change in law that gives anyone the legal right to end someones life.

I do feel for the man but he can refuse treatment, he can refuse food and water, but to ask a doctor to end someones life by action rather than inaction is simply wrong...the doctors Hippocratic oath begins....first do no harm.

How long before people bribe doctors..kill her off and I'll share the money with you, as a society too many people are corruptible to allow this change in law yet.

Just my personal opinion

martyxx
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Could he not go vacation somewhere where it's legal and just get it done?

Personally, I don't think anyone should have the right to decide how one should live his/her life. If one wants to end his/her life and has the mental capacity to make that decision, nobody should be able to tell them otherwise.

Why on earth do we let government make these types of decisions for people. It would not hurt anyone for this man to end his life so he can be free of pain and torture.

And for those against euthanasia, who is anyone else to say that anyone's life is worth living? A sound-minded individual should absolutely be able to decide if their own life is worth living. Nobody is advocating killing off anybody - this is about people wanting to end their own suffering.

Easy for people to say they're against it when they don't have to deal with any of the pain this man goes through every day.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options

I think this is my stance as well. (In this case) This isn't a case where somebody is terminal. He has just deemed himself not worthy of living. The slippery slope here is who determines who's life is not worthy. What criteria in law could be set to decide who lives and who dies based on worthiness to society. Do we start killing off all the people with severe mental disabilities who are not productive in society.

As an adult, he should absolutely be able to make the choice of whether or not he himself has to continue living in a life he deems unworthy. I understand the idea of the "slippery slope" of people making choices for others, and I can understand that, but once you pass the age of eighteen, I believe you should absolutely be able to ask doctors for euthanasia if you are able to consent, which this man clearly is.

Instead, he's now going to be forced to live his days out in suffering, because people are too soft to deal with the concept of mortality and the fact that maybe life isn't always some beautiful miracle - sometimes, death might be preferable. This man isn't suggesting all people with his condition (or any debilitating condition) be euthanised, just himself in his own situation.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    Its not just a case of 'his body his right', he wants to ask his doctors to kill him...we need to think very carefully before we have a change in law that gives anyone the legal right to end someones life.

I do feel for the man but he can refuse treatment, he can refuse food and water, but to ask a doctor to end someones life by action rather than inaction is simply wrong...the doctors Hippocratic oath begins....first do no harm.

How long before people bribe doctors..kill her off and I'll share the money with you, as a society too many people are corruptible to allow this change in law yet.

Just my personal opinion

martyxx

One could argue that doctors will do him harm by allowing him to live a life of suffering.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    A sound-minded individual should absolutely be able to decide if their own life is worth living.
    But, can we really say that someone who is suicidal, depressed, or in grave pain is of "sound mind"? I just don't know that we don't have a moral responsiblity to provide comfort instead of condoning people killing themselves for whatever reason. I cannot imagine what it's like to live as he is, but I can still believe his life has value.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I completely believe that an individual in that position has the right to die peacefully with dignity.
    I also believe that anyone has the right to refuse to directly contribute to his death.
  • mmarcy7
    mmarcy7 Posts: 227 Member
    Options

I thing we try to give ourselves too many rights. I don't think any one has promised us a "right to die". Death is not something we should be in control of.

Whaaat? We want too many rights? What country do you live in. I would like all the freedoms I can get and then some. Yes, I believe all people should be allowed to decide when it's time to end it. We put pets out of their misery, but people must suffer endlessly for years. My whole family knows to pull the plug on me without hesitation.
  • AmeChops
    AmeChops Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    It's such an awful conflict...it would be great to be in a world where by people who are genuinely suffering have the option to be assisted in ending their own life but unfortunately, as people have already said, there are too many people out there that would take advantage.

My father suffered from Multiple System Atrophy and after a few years he ended up bed ridden, unable to feed himself and barely able to talk - he was still himself inside and every time I saw him stuttering or dribbling, dropping his food etc I could see how frustrated he was that he just couldn't work properly. He eventually lost his struggle when he got Pneumonia and in a way I was relieved that he'd gone not being in pain and that his struggle was over - he could finally be himself again.

Would I have helped him kill himself, I'm not sure.
    If the option were there and he made the decision to end his life; would I support that - yes.
  • JackShow70
    Options
    Very slippery slope when governments start endorsing death rather than protecting life.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't believe in euthanasia. I also don't believe that legislating morality is a proper function of government. Personal autonomy is sacrosanct. It is a God-given right, as are all others. Rights do not come from man or from government.
  • doomspark
    doomspark Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Anyone remember the Terry Schiavo case from a few years back? That convinced me to put a Living Will on file with my doctor, my attorney, and a couple of like-minded friends. My wife did the same. Quality of life is important; I put down my pets when they are sick with no hope of recovery. I would want someone to do the same for me.