Spinach

Options
jsukhan
jsukhan Posts: 149 Member
Once again its summer so I'm able to enjoy the benefits of family member's gardens. I got some spinach and was looking for some recipes or ideas of what to do with it other salad.
Thanks.

Replies

• abencase
    abencase Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I just saw on another forum that someone made a pocket in a chicken breast and stuffed it with spinach and cheese... Sounded good. I like to wilt it and add to pretty much anything (especially pizza, i have a low cal recipe for that too if you are interested). My favorite combo has been sauteed chicken and garlic with wilted spinach and cherry tomatoes finished with a quick sprinkle of shredded mozzarella or parmesan. You may also be able to find some recipes on skinnytatse.com. Good Luck!
  • trixiemou
    trixiemou Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    You can add it into a curry or caserole. It nice on toast with melted cheese, Lovely stir fried into an omlette. They can all be reasonably low caloried. Feta and spinach pie or tart. You can bag it and freeze it then add it to whatever when you need it.
  • MizzTatiana
    MizzTatiana Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I like to add veggies to my eggs. Chopped spinach with onions, peppers and mozzerella cheese :) My husband HATES anything green so I buy organic spinach in BULK and just chop it pretty finely and I find that I can sneak it into just about anything, even in large amounts undetected... Sloppy joes, spaggetti sauce... I mean stuff I'd never think it would even taste well with, if it's chopped finely enough, they don't even notice it! Now if only I could figure out how to make broccoli go unnoticed, I'd REALLY have accomplished something! :)
  • MizzTatiana
    MizzTatiana Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I like to add veggies to my eggs. Chopped spinach with onions, peppers and mozzerella cheese :) My husband HATES anything green so I buy organic spinach in BULK and just chop it pretty finely and I find that I can sneak it into just about anything, even in large amounts undetected... Sloppy joes, spaggetti sauce... I mean stuff I'd never think it would even taste well with, if it's chopped finely enough, they don't even notice it! Now if only I could figure out how to make broccoli go unnoticed, I'd REALLY have accomplished something! :)
    They think the spinach is just some type of seasoning,like a fresh basil or something...
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Grill some chicken, saute spinach in little olive oil and garlic, top chicken with spinach and a slice of Provolone cheese. Put in oven to melt the cheese. Yum.

Ground Trukey, sauteed spinach, garlic, onion, peppers, mushrooms, salt and pepper to taste, cooled and chopped, form into meatballs, meatloaf, burgers.
  • sunshinesquared
    sunshinesquared Posts: 2,733 Member
    Options
    Grill some chicken, saute spinach in little olive oil and garlic, top chicken with spinach and a slice of Provolone cheese. Put in oven to melt the cheese. Yum.

Yum! This sounds wonderful...
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Hmm, I love spinach and I am loving these ideas :flowerforyou:
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

I do this too. I put it in everything - eggs, spaghetti, egg rolls, you name it. And I use it in place of lettuce in wraps, sandwiches, and pita pockets. More nutritional bang for the buck than lettuce, IMO.

Specifically, I like to sautee spinach and mushrooms for a yummy side dish. Heat a little olive oil and garlic in a pan and add your mushrooms (baby portabella or white button). Sautee till brown. Add some spinach (it cooks down a lot, so I use 2 cups for one serving....more if I'm making some for other people). Sprinkle with a little kosher salt and continue to sautee until the spinach is wilted but still bright green (only takes a few minutes). Enjoy!
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    I like to dry fry a small amount of chorizo, add cherry tomatoes and let them 'pop', add crushed garlic, then wilt the spinach into it (great huge handfuls of the stuff, it disappears!) and then stir through some pasta or rice. If you have the calories add some pine nuts at the garlic stage. LOTS of black pepper and a little grating of nutmeg work really well with spinach. In all honesty I love it wilted with garlic in a tiny drizzle of olive oil, I could eat it by the bowlful :smile:
  • angeltg
    angeltg Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Add it to everything :) I wilt it first then throw it in everything. Tomato sauces,stews,soups,omelettes. Raw in sandwiches and wraps instead of lettuce.My kids think it's fancy lettuce so score 1 for mom :)
  • ChapinaGrande
    ChapinaGrande Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I add a big handful to my smoothies. It doesn't really have a taste, so it blends well with my other flavors. It changes them to an inappropriate color--like an unappetizing brown strawberry smoothie--but if you can get past that, it's a good way to get more veggies.
  • ashleen7
    ashleen7 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I literally put it in and on everything, a handful in a berry smoothie you can hardly taste it. on a pizza. in pasta dish or bake, instead of lettuce which i dont like in salads, wraps bagels any homemade soup, in omlettes quiches etc. I could go on and on!
  • jsukhan
    Options
    thank-you very much for all your ideas.
  • jenillawafer
    jenillawafer Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I LOVE to put spinach in omelets. Oh, and chicken alfredo-- had that for din din tonight. I basically add it to anything and everything.
  • tedybehr
    tedybehr Posts: 31
    Options
    great idea!
  • tomnleah101
    Options
    Spinach rice - Cook rice until soft and then drain the water out and leave to cool for about 5 minutes. In a frying pan use one cal spray and fry up some spring onions for 2 - 3 minutes, add spinach and cook for another 2 - 3 minutes and then add the rice. Lovely with curry
  • cjc166
    cjc166 Posts: 222
    Options
    Steam corn and carrots with some water for five minutes in a 10-12" pan with a lid, add spinach and steam for another five.

OR

Saute onion, mushrooms in tbsp of olive oil in cast iron pot until golden, add garlic and saute for 2 minutes, meanwhile steam spinach in another pan for 5 minutes and then combine.
  • jsukhan
    Options
    thanks for more great ideas.
  • ltomera01
    Options
    I just made a broccoli and spinach frittata. Saute 2 heads of chopped broccoli and 2 cups of spinach(or any other veggies) with onion and garlic in EVOO in a oven proof pan. In a separate bowl froth 10 eggs and 1 heaping tablespoon of sour cream, cream cheese or cottage cheese ( whatever is on hand). Pour egg mixture over sautéed veggies. (Make sure the sides are well oiled with EVOO). Cover with 8 0z. cheese: mozzarella, cheddar- whatever you like. Bake for about 25 minutes at 375 degrees. I eat one slice for breakfast each morning with a slice of tomato. Just microwave it for 1:15 minutes.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Cook it and combine it with a fat source if you want to get the nutrients out of it.

Spinach is WAY more good for you like this.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/542484-differences-in-nutrients-between-raw-cooked-spinach/

I've just had some cooked up with some diced beef in animal fat. Yum.