Notre Dame Football (not fitness/diet related...)

Options
kater8er
kater8er Posts: 364 Member
So I'm an ND alum and Rick Reilly echoed EXACTLY how I feel about ND football in this article:

http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/8264769/notre-dame-irish-relegated-insignificance

I'm wondering....Anyone else have opinions on ND?

Replies

• wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    i have many opinions on ND football... and none of them are very good.

I think they are consistently the most overrated team in college football because people are desperate for them to be good. They started a revolving door at coach and fired them quicker than anyone could establish anything because they are desperate to be good. Will they do the same to Brian Kelly if he has another winning season, but not a National Championship one?

I also don't like their need to remain independent. They always get preferential treatment because of their large fan base.

I used to like Rick Reilly a lot when he wrote for Sports Illustrated. I don't read him as often now, but he is still a very good writer, and this was a good piece. Thanks for bringing to my attention.
  • Lone_Wolf70
    Lone_Wolf70 Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    Im Catholic, part Irish, went to Catholic grade school, high school and college, played football and I HATE ND.......HOWEVER...Reilly is way off base.

It's what the market bears....if people weren't interested none of this would be an issue. Reilly is a tool.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    i have many opinions on ND football... and none of them are very good.

I think they are consistently the most overrated team in college football because people are desperate for them to be good. They started a revolving door at coach and fired them quicker than anyone could establish anything because they are desperate to be good. Will they do the same to Brian Kelly if he has another winning season, but not a National Championship one?

I also don't like their need to remain independent. They always get preferential treatment because of their large fan base.

I used to like Rick Reilly a lot when he wrote for Sports Illustrated. I don't read him as often now, but he is still a very good writer, and this was a good piece. Thanks for bringing to my attention.
    Agree with EVERYTHING you said regarding their program.
  • JBurger2066
    JBurger2066 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I have plenty of opinions on ND football. I think they'll, at some point, be a good team again, and live up to some of the preseason hype. But I think it is still a ways off. I think if he is given a chance to build the program, Kelly can put something together there. But will he have enough time to do it? We'll see.

With that said, I am a Sooner, and I can not wait until the game in Norman this year! Two programs with a lot of tradition (One of the many reasons I love college football over pro football) going head to head. And I am really trying to make the trip to South Bend next year when we're up there. Seeing a game at Notre Dame is on my list of places that I MUST see a game before I die...and it would be even better to see my team playing there as well.
  • wolverine66
    Options
    Seeing a game at Notre Dame is on my list of places that I MUST see a game before I die...and it would be even better to see my team playing there as well.

One of my college roommates is a ND fan, and we made the trip to South Bend to see them play USC. It was a pretty cool experience, and the only reason I own anything with the ND on it... I needed a souvenir.
  • FireBrand80
    FireBrand80 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    When your NBC contract expires in 2015, do the right thing and don't renew.

LOL, as if it would be anything other than a ratings decision.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Seeing a game at Notre Dame is on my list of places that I MUST see a game before I die...and it would be even better to see my team playing there as well.

One of my college roommates is a ND fan, and we made the trip to South Bend to see them play USC. It was a pretty cool experience, and the only reason I own anything with the ND on it... I needed a souvenir.

ND is on my "must see a game here" list. As was/is? Happy Valley. Maybe tOSU and Michigan as well. And both of the Death Valleys. And Oregon.
  • kater8er
    Options

The best ND football game I ever went to was against Michigan in 2008--my freshman year of college. It rained hardcore the whole time and the stadium was the loudest I've ever heard...And we won. All the other games were just *eh* to me.
  • kater8er
    Options
    I have plenty of opinions on ND football. I think they'll, at some point, be a good team again, and live up to some of the preseason hype. But I think it is still a ways off. I think if he is given a chance to build the program, Kelly can put something together there. <b>But will he have enough time to do it? We'll see.</b>

You're exactly right...I lived in South Bend for 12 years (just moved to a rival school for grad school, coincidentally), and gone through Bob Davie, Ty Willingham, Charlie Weis, and now Brian Kelly...And that one other dude (O'Leary?) who they hired between Davie and Willingham and then fired quickly....
  • wolverine66
    Options
    Im Catholic, part Irish, went to Catholic grade school, high school and college, played football and I HATE ND.......HOWEVER...Reilly is way off base.

It's what the market bears....if people weren't interested none of this would be an issue. Reilly is a tool.

He's not off base. For the most part (except when he calls upon ND to just give up the NBC contract. Like that would happen.) he is imploring that people stop their love-fest for ND. He acknowledges that people love them and the NCAA loves them, and ND loves themselves. But he lays out reasons why they are simply living off of a brand anymore.
  • wolverine66
    Options

ND is on my "must see a game here" list. As was/is? Happy Valley. Maybe tOSU and Michigan as well. And both of the Death Valleys. And Oregon.

I saw a game at the horseshoe many years ago... i was child so i barely remember it. maybe i should go again.
  • kater8er
    Options

He's not off base. For the most part (except when he calls upon ND to just give up the NBC contract. Like that would happen.) he is imploring that people stop their love-fest for ND. He acknowledges that people love them and the NCAA loves them, and ND loves themselves. But he lays out reasons why they are simply living off of a brand anymore.

Did you see Mike Golic's response? He basically was like "Reilly, this isn't ND's fault, blah blah blah" and Reilly said that Mike Golic defending ND was like Joan Rivers defending botox...

SO TRUE!
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I hate Notre Dame, not only because of some of the reasons mentioned, like how they are consistently hyped and over-rated every year, their contract with NBC, their refusal to join a conference like the rest of the NCAA, and Rudy. But mainly because I am a lifelong Michigan State fan and alum and they are one of our oldest rivals. Heck, we played the game of the century against them.
  • JBurger2066
    Options
    http://espn.go.com/blog/playbook/fandom/post/_/id/8969/notre-dame-unveils-weirdest-uni-ever-for-now

And I just lost a little more respect for them. Damn those are ugly uniforms. One of the cool things about ND is their traditional look. Now this?
  • wolverine66
    Options
    http://espn.go.com/blog/playbook/fandom/post/_/id/8969/notre-dame-unveils-weirdest-uni-ever-for-now

And I just lost a little more respect for them. Damn those are ugly uniforms. One of the cool things about ND is their traditional look. Now this?

i chalk this up to the adidas equivalent to the Nike Pro Combat. It'll be a one-time thing. I don't fault them for trying to shake things up a little. And kids really like uniforms.
  • JBurger2066
    Options

i chalk this up to the adidas equivalent to the Nike Pro Combat. It'll be a one-time thing. I don't fault them for trying to shake things up a little. And kids really like uniforms.

I don't mind the uniforms as much as the helmet. That helmet is terrible. If they had just put the leprechaun logo on each side with the traditional helmets, that would have been better. Just my opinion. But my favorite uniforms in college football are the old school style ones. Nebraska, Notre Dame (gold helmets), Michigan, Penn State, Alabama...the ones that have been around for a long time, and as soon as you see them, you know who it is. However, don't confuse my liking of their uniforms with me liking the schools.... I'm a Sooner and love the old school rivalries, but I never cheer for anyone but the Sooners. I do love watching great football, regardless of who is playing though.