Let me get this right

Options
Yes I'm new to MFP and trying to lose weight and exercising and I'm sure as most new people I'm a bit confused. So after reading lots of posts with differing opinions and information I think I might finally understand. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I started on MFP because I want to lose 10 pounds. My non watching calories/exercising self maintains a normal weight, 155lbs, and I'm 5'8". I decided I want to look awesome for my 40th birthday, which is in December and losing 10 pounds would help me towards that goal. I had a baby almost 15 months ago and lost all the baby weight without even trying, going back to the 155. I also have lupus, fibromyalgia, and arthritis so losing that small amount of weight will help my knees and joints.

Now I've been working out, mostly cardio with some strength thrown in. I guess I was of the mindset if I exercise to burn calories and also limit calories then I should be losing tons of weight. Yes, I know I've only been at it for a month but still I should have lost more than a pound at this point. According to MFP my calorie goal is 1200. I've been burning between 500 to 600 calories a day from exercise. I've been keeping my net calories right below 1200.

So I think my issue(s) are that I'm
a) not eating enough net calories a day
b) I need to not burn that many calories a day
c) I might want to take a day or two off of exercising a week.

So if I change those things I should start losing weight?? Eat more calories and exercise less seems the opposite of what I should be doing to lose weight. As far as meals I'm kinda limited because I am a stay at home mom to a 1yr and I don't cook. My husband does all the cooking and he is trying but really doesn't know what low calorie/low fat means. I've been eating less fat and stopped drinking my two ciders a night as well as dropping my Coke Zero habit and drinking only water.

So anyone have any insight or what I'm doing wrong/right? I know, everyone asks these questions but I wanted to ask for myself. Thanks!

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options

So I think my issue(s) are that I'm
    a) not eating enough net calories a day
    b) I need to not burn that many calories a day
    c) I might want to take a day or two off of exercising a week.

Sounds like you have a great plan in place. This also sounds like something that will work great for long term results. So many people restrict their calories too much and exercise like mad and then burn out quickly.
  • sabineliebling
    Options
    Kia, I think you're right on track about probably not eating enough calories. Check out this video my friend/beachbody coach made about calories. She's a little rambly :) but what she says made so much sense to me!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaRbdKJ3Mw8&feature=youtu.be
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Since you are already in the healthy range for your height and only have a small amount to lose, it is going to be harder to take off that last 10 pounds than if you had more than 30 to lose and you were taking off the first 10 pounds (I hope that makes sense).

You are going to have to take on a kind of body builder type of program to get lean at this stage. Protein shakes, egg white and veggie omlets, lots of water and lots of explosive types of exercise (like heavy weight training and high intensity interval training or HIIT) are going to be required in addition to your regular cardio exercises.

I'm in the same position as you, at 42 years of age and within the "healthy" range for my BMI, my body is fighting to hold on to every ounce of fat, so I have to force it off my frame. Ive been using MFP since May of this year, and it has been slow going. I've got my diet pretty much under control, but I still have to step up my game in the gym. I just love doing cardio exercises like riding my bike and walking my dog. I know I need to just bite the bullet and get into the gym 2-3 times a week and lift heavy.
  • KiaCristal
    Options
    Since you are already in the healthy range for your height and only have a small amount to lose, it is going to be harder to take off that last 10 pounds than if you had more than 30 to lose and you were taking off the first 10 pounds (I hope that makes sense).

You are going to have to take on a kind of body builder type of program to get lean at this stage. Protein shakes, egg white and veggie omlets, lots of water and lots of explosive types of exercise (like heavy weight training and high intensity interval training or HIIT) are going to be required in addition to your regular cardio exercises.

I'm in the same position as you, at 42 years of age and within the "healthy" range for my BMI, my body is fighting to hold on to every ounce of fat, so I have to force it off my frame. Ive been using MFP since May of this year, and it has been slow going. I've got my diet pretty much under control, but I still have to step up my game in the gym. I just love doing cardio exercises like riding my bike and walking my dog. I know I need to just bite the bullet and get into the gym 2-3 times a week and lift heavy.

The high protein I have no problem with although I love carbs, who doesn't? I can't do heavy weight training or anything super intense because of my joints. My rheumatoligist would already be freaking out knowing the exercise I am doing. She told me all I can do is swim and Tai Chi which with a one year old not so easy to do. I'm pushing my body as it is and really don't want to injure myself. Not trying to make excuses but I do need to be conscious of the limitations I have.

I did hear that this 10 pounds is going to be harder because I am of "normal" weight. My body doesn't see the need to lose anything and is quite comfortable where it's at. I do think I need to maybe eat more? My net calories have been under 1200 calories but not for lack of eating, more so because of burning calories. This is all so new to me and I'm trying to figure it out as I go.
  • MTBrob
    MTBrob Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Keep doing what you are doing .. Work out when you are able.. it might not be as fast as you want but the work you are doing is probably developing muscle and causing you to maintain due to the extra muscle you are building .. In the long run you will probably stay around the same weight you are now but you will look more tone and leaner..