weights at the gym...Im scurred :(

Options

Replies

• Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Get a trainer, even if it's just for a session or 2 to get you in there and comfortable. And make sure they actually take you IN the weight room. Problem solved.
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    When do you go? I find that at my gym at 5:30 AM (my normal time) there are less people there, and the ones who are there are friendly and serious about succeeding. They're not there to show off. Before I started lifting in January, I watched videos on bodybuilding.com so I could make sure I was lifting correctly. I would even pull up videos on my phone before I did exercises I wasn't 100% sure about. This helped tremendously! A couple of times I was stuck and seriously didn't know wtf to do, so I gathered my courage and asked one of the guys. Luckily they were nice and gave me some pointers! Now I couldn't feel more at home at my gym. It's my happy place each morning :)
  • hypotrochoid
    hypotrochoid Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    1. Youtube is your friend. Figure out your routine and what you'll be doing. Write it down or program it into your smartphone if you have one. Watch videos to see how the moves are done so you don't hurt yourself.

2. Don't try to impress anyone. Honestly, they're not worth it. Focus on you and what you're doing. What they're doing doesn't matter.

3. If you're really worried about comments, listen to music. Listen to it loudly so you don't hear the jackwipes.
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    Don't be scurred. Look at the link below. Buy and read the SS book. My old lady read SS and Monday night walked into the gym for the first time and started doing barbell back squats with good form with very little direction from me (basically just cues). Wednesday she was deadlifting 115 for a set of 5.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/686963-large-collection-of-info-for-beginners
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem, and I was on the weightlifting team in high school! So I know what I'm supposed to be doing. I've always been shy. And the thought of trying to lift as out of shape as I am now, keeps me away from the weights. I think the personal trainer is a great idea if you can afford it. I'm starting to work out at home, in the hopes that when I'm in a little better shape, I'll be able to muster up the courage to lift at the gym. :/
  • leslielrd12
    leslielrd12 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I'd also like to say that a lot of those big guys can be very friendly and are willing to answer a question or two about exercises. I got started in weight lifting when I was 15 and this guy just started talking to me about my goals for weight loss and offered to teach me (Not in a creepy way. My uncle went to the same gym and new him). I was his weight lifting partner for 2 years every day after school. Now this is not typical, but there were a lot of men at my gym when i first started willing to offer advice and help
  • chunkydunk714
    chunkydunk714 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I stay away from "the other side" for the same reason.

I'm not going to recommend a personal trainer because not everyone can afford one....even for "a couple sessions". I agree with the poster that said to educate yourself. Just go online ma, do some research and hopefully that will help. :) Good luck!
  • MSimm62385
    MSimm62385 Posts: 227
    Options
    Find a good recommended weightlifting routine online. Look up videos on youtube for proper form. That's what I did =)
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    As a guy, I can tell you the only reason it seems like we're looking around is because we're stalling before the next set. There is most likely no thoughts going threw our mind besides "****, my arms are rubber right now." Just do your thing, you're not being judged. Trust me.

^^^ This. Don't be intimidated for no reason. I just did my second set of 6 chin ups and lifting 215 pounds off the ground ain't easy. I'm just standing in this odd location doing nothing because:

A. It's right under a ceiling fan and I'm hot.
    B. My biceps are calling 911
    C. I'm waiting for my pulse to drop back down under 140
    D. I'm not sure I can finish this set listening to this specific song. I think I'll switch to a different song. Yep, tired of this song.
    E. Hmmm, let me hit that water bottle again.
    F. Should I do cable press down or dips next? Last week the dips were a bit too easy.... yeah, better do them last when my arms are the weakest.
    G. Did I take a protein shake this morning? Can't remember. Need to double check my food diary when I'm done.
    H. It's raining outside. Need to turn off the sprinkler so it doesn't come on tonight.

The last thing on my mind is "O gee, I wonder if there are any newbs using weights that I can mock quietly and feel superior to?" Everyone that has bigger muscles than you isn't automatically a douche or a curl-monkey. You're making all that up in your mind. No, I don't smile or acknowledge you right away if you walk to the weights. I assume you're there to workout, and that you'll scream "rape" and pull out the pepper spray if I so much as glance at you.

Just jump in and do your thing. I probably won't even notice you're there other than to think "Soon as she's done in that area I need grab some dumbbells."
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    My first personal trainer who put me on the weights was a competitive body builder so... :) She took me over there and encouraged me a bunch and it became easy.

I think having a personal trainer who will put you on the free weights is an important step and I'd recommend a personal trainer for anyone who has never done weights before. You can think you are doing the form right but then you get in there and someone watching you can help you realize that you aren't :)
  • peuglow
    peuglow Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    How did you ladies overcome the intimidation that comes from lifting at the gym? There are women who lift at my gym...they are the fitness model very buff kind. Ive never had a good experience using free weights at a gym. At our previous gym someone actually laughed when I grabbed some lighter weights and made a rude comment about my ability. I know its stupid but I am so intimidated to try it again. I was very heavy when this happened and had worked up so much courage to try something new. Everyone is so strong and knows what they are doing at our current gym. Lots of young douchey gym dudes who like to flex in the mirror and scream when they lift and oogle the ladies. I do the machines...but I hate the machines and know I'm not getting the same benefit.

Basically...I need some serious confidence.
    That's terrible. I've helped lots of women and men as a personal trainer. I'd recommend trying something like that first.

Also, try to ignore the naysayers. It makes me sick when you see someone trying and then others put them down.
  • mercymarque
    Options
    Dont be scurred! Ur not there for the ppl... I love my gym. Nobody judges and that's there motto at Planet Fitness. U just motivated me to do so free weights... I get on the machines, do circut and cardio. Remember u r there for u. If they have a trainer work with him or her to know how to use the weights properly and start slow and gradually increase. Remember they don't count u and ur health is what matters.
  • AlphamaleBAMF
    Options
    How did you ladies overcome the intimidation that comes from lifting at the gym?

I'm not a lady but I'm just trying to ease my way into it. I know I'm still fat and I know there are a lot of guys stronger and bigger than me. But I'm trying to get in there and do it as much as I can.

A lot of guys these days are wearing some freaky *kitten* stuff like full on ankle length tights and Y back singlets with mullet haircuts and gold necklaces. I get intimidated by that still like "Do I want to be turning my back on this guy?" but you just have to think you're not gonna get raped while you're doing weights and if it does happen you just have to deal with that hurdle when you get to it.

I imagine women are worried about the same thing.
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    That's terrible. I've helped lots of women and men as a personal trainer. I'd recommend trying something like that first.

Also, try to ignore the naysayers. It makes me sick when you see someone trying and then others put them down.

I agree. I've taken many friends to the gym with me and I quickly realized that we all start somewhere. One of my friends had to use 2 lb and 3 lb weights when she started. You should've seen me scouring the gym for these because the smallest weight in the free weight section was 5 lbs which she struggled with. Luckily, one of the classrooms had them. Everyone starts somewhere.
  • Jexebel
    Jexebel Posts: 67
    Options
    I did a LOT!!! of research, forums, websites, youtube, etc. Practiced form and built up some strength (because no way could I even lift that 45 lb bar for some exercises in the beginning) that on these smaller fixed barbell things that go up to 110lbs at my gym. Then one early Saturday morning, I just went over and did my thang with the weights.
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I was scared the first day I walked into the free weight area of my gym too. I didn't know where all the machines were (like the squat rack, d'oh!) and had no idea if I was using good form or not. I had read New Rules of Lifting for Women (NROLFW), which I now think is completely awesome (I'm about half-way through stage 4 now), but it shows you diagrams of every move, so you go, you try it, and if you're not sure whether you did it right, you re-read, review the diagrams, maybe look up some youtube videos, and try again. I promise once you start, you'll get better & better every time. Even when you have setbacks, you'll come back stronger and more confident the time after that.

If you decide to check out NROLFW, there's an awesome group here that you might also be interested in:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/102-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-nrol4w

But when you're ready to start, you just start. Pretty soon, you'll have the confidence to walk in like you own the place! :happy:
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    A personal trainer could help a lot with that. Especially if they are nice :) It's hard to find a good one, but if you try a few out and find one you are comfortable with, it helps a lot.

Also, it sounds like the people that go to your gym are generally pretty rude. Just ignore them. Easier said than done, but believe it or not, many of them (even though they appear to be in better shape) may not have a clue about what to do with a free weight. And if they feel the need to be a jerk, they've got issues of their own.

Bottom line: you can't worry about what other people think/say when you're trying to do right by yourself. You don't need their approval to get the body you want or to use the gym. You pay the same member dues they do, and if they continue to harass, get in touch with a manager and report the members. They don't need to be members of a gym if they're going to make it uncomfortable for others to workout there.
  • shanpwn
    shanpwn Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    It's totally normal to be scared. I didn't feel confident lifting heavy until I started attending a women's college and the gym was primarily (but not entirely) women. The best advice I can give you is if someone says something snarky, they're saying it out of their own self-loathing and a need to make someone feel just as bad about themselves as they do. Don't listen. Tell them to shove it, and do your routine. Don't let someone else's insecurity keep you from becoming strong and healthy.
  • fjrandol
    fjrandol Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I have a trainer I'm working with twice a week, so that made the transition to the free weights section of the gym significantly easier on the mind. However, I still occasionally get nervous walking in there by myself. :ohwell: Something thats helped is practicing my form at home in the mirror. Even though I don't have weights at home I can get the feel for what my body should be doing when lifting correctly. I'm better able to mimic it at the gym when I can feel if my shoulder blades are in the right place, or tell if I'm keeping my back straight. Besides, it can't hurt to get a few extra squats in, even if it's just at body weight. :smile:
  • sdowler1231
    Options
    As a trainer that works primarily with women - your fear is normal. Gyms can be intimidating, especially if you are unfamiliar with the equipment. Working wit a trainer is a great option, even if only for a month or two to help you get acclimated and help build your confidence. As for your previous experience- I'm sorry you had to endure that. Unfortunately, in our society, people can be cruel and not realize the power of their words.
    Everyone starts somewhere, and those powerhouses were not born that way - sometimes they forget that! The fact that you are there and taking positive steps toward your health should be celebrated and supported, not criticized. Those that are critical typically have ego issues or their own body image issues. Don't let their words have power over you. Decide and do it for you - not for the approval or acceptance of others.