pre and post workout stretches

Options
So how do you stretch?

I pretty much just guess... >.< using stuff I remember doing before my martial arts class when I was a kid and stuff I remember from my brief yoga class years ago. I don't really have a set of stretches I do and I feel I need to be better at stretching before and after my workouts (especially now I am really working out and putting in lots of effort)

Replies

• Plentiful_Tentacles
    Options
    I do dynamic stretching, if at all. Although I want to buy myself a foam roller.
  • Plentiful_Tentacles
    Options
    I do dynamic stretching, if at all. I want to get myself a foam roller though, if that counts.
  • jjefferies7
    Options
    stretch after. pre workout stretching actually increases chance of injury
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options

This for me. I'll do very light cardio to warm up my muscles, then actually stretch after my workout.
  • MissShyloh
    Options

Really? I always thought you needed to before! That is good to know.
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    I do some basic full body stretching after
  • hastinbe
    hastinbe Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Always warm-up before stretching. Ideally you want to warm-up -> stretch -> workout -> stretch
  • slrrese
    slrrese Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I LOVE stretching, and I try to stretch my entire body at the end of every workout. At minimum I:

Lay on by back with my arms stretched over my head, stretching. From this position, Bend my right knee, putting it over my straight legleg and twst my body and look right, then switch sides. I do what I call the pretzel, where I bend both legs on either side of me and lay flat on my back ( if you not limber you just go part way down, or you can do one leg then the other). I did gymnastics when younger so I do a lot of stretches for my legs that I did then- legs out and head to the floor with arms stretched forward, the over to one leg and the other- both flat and to the side. Next, I sit Indian style and stretch my lower back by leaning back with my chin to my chest, then going forward with my chin out. Then I stay Indian style and rotate around at the hips and finally, sitting Indian style still, rotate my shoulders forward and back, then my head around.

Sorry, they are hard to describe but I hope that gives you some new ideas for stretching. Good luck!!
  • FireBrand80
    FireBrand80 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I do dynamic stretching, if at all. Although I want to buy myself a foam roller.

These. Warm up prior, static stretching after.
  • barbie1000
    barbie1000 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Yeah, foam rollers are the best and spectacular when you have had an injury!! :)
  • barbie1000
    barbie1000 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I stretch during and after my workouts. I lift so many weighs that I need to stretch while lifting and then I stretch afterwards too. I need to stretch my whole body and it feels so good afterwards. Love it:)