Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Oh, and yes, posting gross pictures cures addiction. :noway:
  • nickhuffman74
    nickhuffman74 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I am not a big fan of cutting back or replacements. When I tried before I always failed until I just stopped smoking and gave up nicotine all together. Replacements, gum and cutting back just keep you in a withdraw state for a longer period of time, if you just stop smoking nicotine is out of your system in 72 hours. Then its all a mind thing.

http://whyquit.com/

This is a good read while quitting

http://www.joelspitzer.com/whyquit/joel/ntap.pdf

Seventy-two hours is a long damn time. More power to the ones that can do that, but they better sedate me in a hospital setting like they would a heroin addict. :tongue:

If I can do it anyone can. Its a mind game. Simple as that. If you prepare yourself physically and mentally. Have a plan on how you will deal with your cravings, stressful situations and smoking queues then you will succeed.

If you go in with no preparation, plan or fore thought then you will fail.

Its that simple.

Aggreed on the prohibition making illegal black markets. In fact black market smokes are already one of the highest illegal trades in the US.

Yeah nasty pictures do help. You need to know what you are doing to yourself.
  • Rambo313
    Rambo313 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I asked myself 3 years ago ..do I want to be a runner or do I want to be a smoker, I chose running quit cold turkey that day and never looked back, The fact that I don't gasp for air or use my inhaler (exercise induced asthma) and can run at 10.0mph on a treadmill gives me all the motivation to never pick up one again.
  • joecollins9385
    joecollins9385 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    People, it's 2012, please stop smoking already!

U5MJn.jpg

exactly. its 2012. we smokers have seen these images billions of times. if we want to smoke we still will no matter how many times you show us our lungs
  • anneerick
    anneerick Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I quit January 21st of this year after being a smoker for 16 years. I have noticed a 100% turn around in my ablility to do cardio. Such a difference!!
    However, my husband still smokes (and is a long time smoker) and he can still kick my a** when it comes to cardio. Out runs me with ease.
    Of course (everyone knows) smoking is unhealthy but the degree to which it effects ones ability to do cardio (I think) depends on each individual.

You are comparing apples to oranges. There is more to outrunning someone than their ability to breath and process oxygen. Smoking ages you, give you gum disease, heart problems, circulation problems and a slew of other issues. This is not directed at you but all the smokers. Don think that because you can run a few miles in your younger and middle age years that smoking wont ravage your body in your later years and rob you of time with your loved ones.

I do realize the terrible effect smoking has on me. Hence, the statement "I quit January 21st." I wasn't mentioning the "trillion" other negative effects smoking has because that's not the topic of this forum. I was simply stating that although all smokers are effecting there cardio, each individual is effecting it to a different degree. I could not preform cardio and be a smoker. It was terrible. Smoking was totally effecting my exercise routine. I'm sure it effects my hubby's as well, but not to the same degree.
  • staceface519
    Options

It makes it easier that no where in Canada is legal to smoke, except in your own home. Unless you have kids, then thats illegal too. Go Canada.

Go Canada indeed! :love: :love: :love: I wish that were the case here in the States! I hate being forced to inhale someone else's toxins especially after I've worked so hard to cut it cigs out of my life.

Id have to disagree. . smoking is a choice and should not have bans on a personal choice. . . its like saying Hey you can do this. . . but not anywhere so i dont know why we make it available to everyone. . . .

Example. . . you can drive a car ( give u a license which is a privaledge, not a right). . but you cant drive a car anywhere. . . makes no sense. . .

Granted im canadian and know this but i live in the states.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    I am not a big fan of cutting back or replacements. When I tried before I always failed until I just stopped smoking and gave up nicotine all together. Replacements, gum and cutting back just keep you in a withdraw state for a longer period of time, if you just stop smoking nicotine is out of your system in 72 hours. Then its all a mind thing.

http://whyquit.com/

This is a good read while quitting

http://www.joelspitzer.com/whyquit/joel/ntap.pdf

Seventy-two hours is a long damn time. More power to the ones that can do that, but they better sedate me in a hospital setting like they would a heroin addict. :tongue:

If I can do it anyone can. Its a mind game. Simple as that. If you prepare yourself physically and mentally. Have a plan on how you will deal with your cravings, stressful situations and smoking queues then you will succeed.

If you go in with no preparation, plan or fore thought then you will fail.

Its that simple.

Aggreed on the prohibition making illegal black markets. In fact black market smokes are already one of the highest illegal trades in the US.

Yeah nasty pictures do help. You need to know what you are doing to yourself.

No, I'm sorry, but I love my family too much to take them to hell for three days. That's not something I would ever do. And guess what? I will sit and smoke a cigarette while looking at gross pictures. It doesn't cure addiction. I wrote a paper in college on the effects of cigarettes, while I smoked in my dorm room. Knowing the facts does not cure the addiction. It helps with the mental aspect, but facts don't change emotional attachments and the psychological tricks that our minds play on us.

I have found that I can go for as long as 24 hours, but that's my breaking point. I have a family and I work full time. Nicotine gum is nasty, so it doesn't work. The patch makes me nauseous after a few weeks, which is why it didn't work. My next step is to try doing the Step 2 patch with my e-cig as back-up. I am hoping that the Step 2 won't make me ill like the Step 1 made me.

The thing about cigarettes is the mental game in addition to the physical addiction. They are more addictive than heroin. (and I know some heroin addicts who never would have made it without methadone, especially when our drug policy continues to remain in retard mode) I have also known people that quit cold turkey and then relapsed. There is no cure-all. You have to be mentally prepared, like you said. And you also have to be physically prepared. My husband wants to get hypnotized. lol
  • staceface519
    Options

U5MJn.jpg

exactly. its 2012. we smokers have seen these images billions of times. if we want to smoke we still will no matter how many times you show us our lungs

Totally agree. . ive seen them and i STILL choose to smoke. As i get my lungs tested every year to make sure i dont have any clots starting, black spots, etc. . i have healthy pink lungs, no problem with circulation, nothing . . doesnt mean i cant in the future but as of right now i keep myself healthy :)
  • anneerick
    anneerick Posts: 147 Member
    Options

U5MJn.jpg

I agree, when people make the wise decision to quit smoking, it’s not because of disgusting pictures. People will quit smoking when they are ready to do it for themselves and their loved ones.
  • staceface519
    Options
    Any smoker (who is still currently or quitters too). . . do u find it annoying how everyone tells u to stop smoking rather then understand that you will do it when your ready?. . if u push someone to do something (granted it may be beneficial) it just deters them or prolongs them from doing so?. . .
  • joecollins9385
    Options
    [/quote]

[/quote]

they dont sedate heroin addicts in the hospital
  • joecollins9385
    Options
    Any smoker (who is still currently or quitters too). . . do u find it annoying how everyone tells u to stop smoking rather then understand that you will do it when your ready?. . if u push someone to do something (granted it may be beneficial) it just deters them or prolongs them from doing so?. . .

i do find it annoying, especially when they say im wasting my time exercising if im still gonna smoke. my response is usually '**** you, my measurements say its working and i can run faster and farther than you'
  • staceface519
    Options
    Oh, and yes, posting gross pictures cures addiction. :noway:

HAHA your still my hero :)
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Definitely!

I remember about a year ago and some co-workers started a weight-loss challenge. I had just decided to quit smoking. I told them all good luck, but I'm not ready to lose weight because I'm trying to quit smoking. Now a year later, I've decided that I am ready to lose weight and I'm doing well with it. Now I am scared to try to quit smoking because my diet changes have been so dramatic that I'm still getting used to it. And, like I commented earlier, my husband isn't ready to quit yet.

I also have a family member that is addicted to cocaine. He is now homeless because of his addiction. I know that there is nothing I can do for him, except give him the number to the men's shelter and pray. He will quit when he's ready. I will quit cigarettes for good when I'm ready. Prodding me just makes me want to blow smoke in their face. :laugh: :tongue:
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

they dont sedate heroin addicts in the hospital

That's true. They throw them in cages to be raped by larger, stronger people. Thanks for the correction. :tongue:
  • theblitz
    theblitz Posts: 32
    Options
    I started getting serious about cardio when I quit smoking. I felt like they went hand in hand, and the runners high became my new enjoyment. Went from a pack a day to a week of nicotine gum to done. Worth it.

It's possible to do both but smoking will always impair you.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    When I smoked I found it annoying when people said to stop.

Then my mother got emphysema from smoking and spent her last four years in bed staring at the ceiling on oxygen.

Then I realized my finding it annoying was nothing more than rationalizing a stupid habit.

Then I quit.

Go to the emergency room and listen to the people panicking because they can't breath because smoking has destroyed their lungs. That is your future unless you are lucky enough to die from something else first.
  • branflake6
    branflake6 Posts: 115
    Options
    I have been a smoker since I was 15 yrs old, minus 3 yrs for having my 3 kids. But I am currently weening myslef off smoking, tried the patch it breaks my arm out, so I'm just trying to do ito ff will power. I was about a half pack a day smoker and down to 2 a day which is better but not quit :( its really hard. But yes my body doesn't get tired running, my lungs do very quickly though, I have to run in spurts like I'll run 5 min feel like I am gonna die then I gotta walk 3 min to catch my breath before I can run again. IT SUCKS stupidest thing I ever did was start smoking and I have done some stupid *kitten* in my life. I did an HIIT workout today and noticed my chest didn't hurt as bad during as it would have last week. My advice is quit, I know u say ur not ready, I don't think a smoker is ever really ready it becomes such a part of everyday, u jst gotta do it, good luck to u!
  • staceface519
    Options
    When I smoked I found it annoying when people said to stop.

Then my mother got emphysema from smoking and spent her last four years in bed staring at the ceiling on oxygen.

Then I realized my finding it annoying was nothing more than rationalizing a stupid habit.

Then I quit.

Go to the emergency room and listen to the people panicking because they can't breath because smoking has destroyed their lungs. That is your future unless you are lucky enough to die from something else first.

Ive been to the emergency room and heard people not being able to breath. . . i then heard they were diagnosed with anxiety attacks. . . . my grand mother died from lung cancer. . . . but it ake my chances. . as long as i keep myself healthy (diet and exercise) ill see where it takes me, thats why as a smoker i get tests done every year and once i hear that a test comes up positive for something i will then take the steps i want to quit (if i ever do). . .

my grandpa smoked pipes until the day he died at 93. . . he started at 12. . . .who says MY future will be like the people in the ER. no one knows *plays twilight zone music*
  • redredy9
    redredy9 Posts: 706 Member
    Options

Continuing to do something really harmful to yourself to spite me any anyone else who tells you you should quit would be really dumb.

Be honest. People telling you not to smoke does not deter you. Your addiction and reliance on ciggarettes deters you from quitting. You are hooked. Don't try to blame your recluctance to quit on other people who are telling you the medically supported scientifically proven truth.

As someone who smoked for over 14 years of her life - I can say that for me, it was helpful (though sometimes annoying and not always fun) to be reminded of the dangers of smoking and to be confronted with the consequences. Scared straight worked for me! Of course I knew how bad it was for me - but left to my own devices I probably could have lived in denial and continued to smoke for several more years.