Going to New Orleans

My husband and I are going to New Orleans next week (he has a business trip). I would love to try some of the local food but don't want to kill my weight loss. Any suggestions on where to go and what to eat. We have never been there. Thanks.

Replies

• WISHFULTHINKING
    WISHFULTHINKING Posts: 167 Member
    its hard to say oh gosh
    go to nola.com/
    im from there but theres just so many to name os just check em out here
  • TGIBriday83
    TGIBriday83 Posts: 68 Member
    I actually just moved to new orleans from cleveland back in october. all i can say is good luck. if its one thing i've learned down here its that they love their fried food and if its not fried they love drowning it in gravy or sauce and as a result i packed on probably 15 pounds between then and christmas, which is why i got motivated and on this site.. Oh and the portions they serve you are huge no matter where you go. thankfully theyre also big into sea food down here so if you enjoy fish or even shrimp you may be able to survive most restaurants offer some variety of shrimp or red fish. going to a national or large chain may be easiest if you go out because you can most likely find the nutrtional info at the restaurant or online. unfortunately the best places as i've been told and have found out from experience so far tend to be local hole in the wall restaurants that serve great food, but not as healthy and nutritional info nearly impossible to find. all in all trying to stay healthy while eating out in new orleans is tough.
  • WISHFULTHINKING
    WISHFULTHINKING Posts: 167 Member
    new orleans do have a few good resteraunts that serve low calorie foods. u just have to look around
  • TGIBriday83
    TGIBriday83 Posts: 68 Member
    i will admit though, the food down here is pretty amazing and very unique. I don't think it gets enough credit on a national level.
  • jrobertson37
    jrobertson37 Posts: 90 Member
    May the force be with you!! Thats all i can say. The food there is heaven and i can already taste those beignet (however you spell them but they are fried dough with powder sugar on top), they are so delish, you have to try atleast one but be careful bc they are addictive.

By the way can you have a cheat day? If so can it be saturday, therefore you wont feel so bad. Im going for a wedding in Feburary and im already prepared to eat whatever I want!! Im going to work my butt off before I go and when I come back!!!

But the main thing is to have fun and enjoy yourself. Dont be stressed out about food!!!!

Be safe and have a good trip!!!:smile: