snack after midnight-to which day do you add calories?

Options
if you have a snack at 1am or even 2 am anytime before falling asleep to you count it to your journal from that day or for the next day? same goes with exercise, if you go to the gym at midnight before you go to bed which day do you count it on?

Replies

• Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I always consider a day from the time I wake up to the time I go to bed. But I'm sure everyone here has their own way of recording it.
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I count when I sleep as the difference between one day and another rather than the clock. I will be out to around 3am today, but everything I consume will be on today not tomorrow.
  • emilypurplefrog
    emilypurplefrog Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering the same thing! Especially when it comes to late night drinking...where does it go?
  • gaylynn35
    gaylynn35 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I go back and add it to that day. My daughter tells me that I need to put it on the next day, but I don't. I guess it's really up to you. I had a brownie late last night, after midnight and I went ahead and added it to yesterday this morning when I got up.
  • mdmcmillen
    mdmcmillen Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    If I do it, I put it on breakfast for the next day :)
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Why would it make any difference?
  • Gregularity
    Gregularity Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    This is just common sense.

Do you think something magical happens at midnight?
  • TNFirefly
    TNFirefly Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I am always up late and up during the night several times as primary caregiver for my mother with dementia. I typically sleep until 11 or noon. I count my food on my awake period. So if I am up till 2am tonight, I still count food as today even though I am 2 hours into tomorrow. That way when I wake up, it is a new day.
  • abnerner
    abnerner Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    I consider mine from when I wake up to when I go to bed.
  • veerichie
    veerichie Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I think anything before you fall asleep would be the same day. I go by sleep, rather than time.
  • blueeylb
    blueeylb Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    if its done before i go to sleep it's counted for that day. if i wake up and do it, it's for the next day.
  • Chameleone
    Chameleone Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Anything between the time I wake up and start my day until the next time I wake up and start my day is one day.

When I was jet lagged I'd wake up at like 3 am starving and have a snack, and add it on to the day before because I'd go back to sleep an hour later and wake up at like 9 am and start my day.

But that's just me...It really doesn't matter as long as you add it...
  • marie_2454
    marie_2454 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I always consider a day from the time I wake up to the time I go to bed. But I'm sure everyone here has their own way of recording it.

I work second shift (don't get off work until 2 am), so I count my days from when I wake up to when I go to bed. Just try to be consistent and you'll be fine :)
  • sierrajade2012
    Options
    Why would it make any difference?

it would make a difference in how many calories you have had in a day or how many calories you are allowed for the next.
  • windycitycupcake
    windycitycupcake Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    i just add things to my calendar as i eat them, sometimes it falls under the next day. It just messes me up a little because i'm still new at this and keeping track of every little thing. i just wanted to know what other people do. also, if you are supposed to eat 1200 calories per day, do you count the snack you ate at 2am into your total?
  • rlmadrid
    rlmadrid Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I count my days from wake-up to bedtime. So even when I eat at 3am after getting off work at the bar, it's part of yesterday's food. I don't think it really matters, but I "complete" my diary as I crawl into bed.
  • cardsfanlv
    cardsfanlv Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I would recommend not having a snack that late. I try to be done with my eating by around 8:00 pm. But, I'd count my days from the time I wake up till the time I go to bed.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    This is personal preference. I would just choose one and go with it as it won't make any difference in terms of your overall weight loss.
  • flinchyny
    flinchyny Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter. Just be consistent about it.