rushed for time.. do you microwave your eggs?

Options
I've never done it, nor did my parents.. we've always cooked them up in a pan... but sometimes i don't have that 10 minutes because i woke up late, and I know if I don't start with breakfast at home, my day will be out of control..

how do you do it? do you recommend it? how long ? recipes? anyone?

Replies

• Erica0718
    Erica0718 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    this morning I was in a rush so I had microwaved eggs with low sodium ham and a wedge of laughing cow cheese.

Spray the dish you are using to microwave the eggs in with cooking spray, add whatever you want and microwave. If I use two eggs I usually microwave mine for 1:40-2:00 mins stop and stir half way.
  • that70sfan
    Options
    All the time! If I want it plain, I break 2-3 eggs and put them in a round bowl and microwave usually between 1.5-2 minutes on high. I then sprinkle on cheese or put it on whole wheat toast, etc. I also love mixing in salsa with the raw eggs and then microwaving it. Adds vegetables and flavor with very little calories added!
  • chunkydunk714
    chunkydunk714 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    at work I do but at home I cook them in the pan.

When I cook them in the micro, its for about a minute and a half ...then i take it out, give it a stir and see if it needs more time. If so, then for 30 seconds.
  • MonicaT1972
    Options
    I love microwave eggs. I have a silicone steamer with a lid (prevents explosions) that I cook them in. Long live rubber textured eggs~!!!
  • lorib75
    lorib75 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Yes, my parents worked so I had to do my own breakfast as a kid. Spray bowl with non stick cooking spray. Scramble the eggs in the bowl. Heat. Eat.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Yuck, can't stand the texture in the microwave. I have made soft boiled eggs in the coffee pot at work though. If I know I am going to have a rough week, I usually have a few hard boiled eggs in the fridge just in case.
  • jerendeb
    jerendeb Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I can scramble them country style (stir them around without beating them first) in a pan faster than micro-wave and the quality is much better. Nothing against microwaves, just certain foods are better in my opinion.
  • heytherestephy
    heytherestephy Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    We microwave eggs at my work for breakfast sandwiches, we usually just stick them in a microwaveable dish (at home I use a regular bowl), stir them up a bit and microwave until there isn't any gooey bits.
  • SavCal71
    SavCal71 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I don't microwave them, but I can fry an egg in about 2 minutes, and scramble them in about 5. I don't find the microwave a big time saver.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    I have a microwave egg cooker that cooks 2 eggs separately and I keep it at work because that's where I eat my "real" breakfast.
  • tristanathan
    Options
    Check out www.hungry-girl.com. She offers several recipes of what she lovingly calls "egg mugs." They are all made in the microwave. I've microwaved egg substitute a lot and it usually turns out pretty decent.
  • nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 10,390 Member
    Options
    I poach them in water from the microwave...then have a high fiber muffin with a piece of lean ham
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    You can do amazing things in a Ziploc Bag. And the Steamer Bags are awesome.

http://www.outdoorcook.com/article1072.php
  • zooathome
    Options
    Ive taught my kids on how to cook eggs in microwave. They will usually have 2-3 eggs and cook it in a coffee mug! They add cheese and ham, and salt and pepper. You must spray it cooking spray first.
    Ive been adding sofrito, crushed red pepper flakes and sometimes a tsp of light sour cream to help fluff them up. Along with onion and lots of green peppers.
  • needles85365
    needles85365 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    No, I'll take the 10 min, but it doesnt take that long. Microwave makes them rubbery
  • GeorgiaTina
    Options
    I too have a microwave egg cooker. It takes just about 1 minute. I love it when I have no time in the mornings.
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    I didnt even know you could microwave them... it takes less the 5mins to actually make them in a pan...

well, unless you count the time it takes to clean the pan.. but I dont do that if im in a rush....
  • alexbusnello
    alexbusnello Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    All the time unless it's sunny side up or over easy.
  • CMcBryer
    CMcBryer Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Hard boil them and peel them the night before. In the morning just Grab n Go.
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    i have a tupperware egg cooker, but i've even tossed an egg and some cheese into a coffee cup.

just make sure to BREAK THE YOLK. or it will explode.