Stationary Bike

Options
Hi everyone! I was wondering if anyone has lost weight from riding their stationary bike. Like how many minutes you rode, at what pace etc?? I'm trying to do p90x but its a bit much for me starting out. I think slow is best for me right now.

Replies

• RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Yes, lots of it, but in the context of a Spinning class.

If you're riding a stationary bike gently, it's still better than doing nothing, hon :smile: Do what you can do!
  • brit5351
    brit5351 Posts: 13
    Options
    Thanx for the feedback! :) what is the spinning class??
  • amytag
    amytag Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Yes! I ride a stationary recumbent bike 3-4x per week for 45 minutes at a 17 mph pace. I also do the C25K program of running/walking but only 3-4x per week. On those days I bike for 30 minutes or approximately 8 miles. Since adding the bike into my routine, my weight loss has increased. Overall, I do cardio for 6 days per week with one rest day.
  • RBXChas
    Options
    Spinning is a trademarked name (not all indoor cycling classes are Spinning classes - they have specific guidelines by which a class must adhere, and the instructors must not only be certified but have fulfilled continuing education requirements - Spinning classes cannot be called Spinning classes unless the instructor is a certified Spinning instructor and the location is a certified Spinning location) for indoor cycling. The classes are group classes, typically, (though I once took one as the lone student, just by chance) and take you through various "rides." There are endurance rides, interval rides, strength rides, etc. Each ride takes you through a series of movements that are appropriate for the "terrain," and since you are on your own bike, only you have control over your cadence (how fast your legs are cycling) and the resistance on the bike. (The instructor should never, I repeat, NEVER touch the resistance knob on your bike!) There is a focus on form and heart rate zones to make the ride safe and effective for you. Your heart rate monitor is your best friend during Spinning classes.

As for me, I started Spinning in October and got hooked. I go 4x/week now :happy: Part of that is because I go to a place where they do nothing but Spinning (as opposed to a gym that also has Spinning classes), so the staff is really passionate about it, and the facility is top-notch. It's not cheap, but we work it into our monthly budget because it makes me happy and keeps me healthy (and so says my husband, I promise!). A lot of times, gyms do have Spinning classes, so you can still take classes without breaking your budget.

I know they have videos you can buy if you have a stationary bike at home (you can purchase Spin bikes for your home, but they can be pricey). If you watch videos to see what Spinning looks like, you'll notice that not every stationary bike will do, but if yours will, you can certainly Spin at home!

Anyway, the Spinning site is pretty comprehensive, so I'll give you the link to the page that explains what Spinning is. However, there are plenty of videos on there so you can actually watch what it is (I think that gives you a better explanation - Josh Taylor is not the creator of Spinning, but he is a Master Instructor and is basically the face of Spinning since its creator retired). http://www.spinning.com/en/about_spinning

I highly recommend Spinning but understand that it's not for everyone. Some people will say, "Oh, Spinning is SOOOOO HARD." Well, yeah, it's hard, but it's only as hard as you make it. You can take it easy if it's not your day to push, or you can go all out and work your butt off. The instructor will advise you not to go over the top (ie, don't push yourself until you are dizzy and/or nauseous), but s/he will encourage you to give 100%.

Enjoy!
  • cjc166
    cjc166 Posts: 222
    Options
    I ride a bike, and it is good for me. My eating has way more control over my weight loss than my bike does though. Unfortunately, it is really easy to out-eat your exercise.
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Any type of cardio that you do not normally do on a regular basis will aide you in weight loss to a point. Get your heart going anywhere from 105+ and your burning. There are 2 theories as to what range works best - Fat Burn (105-120) or Cardio BURN (+120). Try them both for about 2 weeks each and decide which is best for you.
  • msthubbard
    Options
    I was told to ride your bike at a pace that you are able to talk but you heart and breathing are increased. To maximize your bike workout try interval pacing. (fast, then slow, then moderate). Do what you can do and then build up as you get into shape. Also try maybe walking or other forms of cardio to create muscle confusion.

Good luck.
    BTW P90X and Insanity are challenging for most people but you will get there, just don't quit. :wink:
  • RBXChas
    Options
    I ride a bike, and it is good for me. My eating has way more control over my weight loss than my bike does though. Unfortunately, it is really easy to out-eat your exercise.

Yes, I totally agree with this. I once read on here that "you can't out-train your diet." Your eating will get you most of the way there, and working out can only help. I can't remember if it was Jillian Michaels or Bob Harper who said it, but one of them once said that food is something like 90% of weight loss, and exercise is the rest.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I have a recumbent stationary bike I use at home. It has 16 resistance levels...I am up to level 9, which is a good workout for me. I try to ride at least 45 minutes....sometimes an hour if I have the stamina. Really gets my heart rate up. I use it about 3 times a week alternating with my time in the pool.
  • grdnr03
    grdnr03 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I use my stationary bike for 60 mins at a time, i am now between level 2, 3 and 4. i'll do level 4 for a few songs then back down to 3 and so on. I also use my treadmill on days i don't want to bike. i also have weights i use.

i usually just listen to the music tv channel or a cd, tried watching an actual tv show and my intensity was lower than with just plan 'ol music. i know a cd ?, but it works for me:laugh:

Good luck in finding what works for you, slow and steady will get you there to the goal you have set for yourself.

Yes for me a combination of the above has lead me to lose weight.
  • laurakh8814
    laurakh8814 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I started incorporating the stationary bike into my diet routine and it has definitely helped. I have slacked off the last couple weeks on it but I was doing it 3-4 times per week for 45 minutes between 15-17 mph and losing about 2 pounds per week on a 1400 calorie diet. I plan on getting back on track today since my results were so great!