psych

Options
Hello, fellow Pals, I'm not brand new to MFP, and I'm not always able to log in, track food and join conversation, I am interested in hearing about the stuff that goes on in peoples heads about food, eating, body image, losing weight. For me, trying to lose weight is fraught with psychoemotional roadblocks and pitfalls. I consider myself a very self-aware person, but somehow there is a disconnect between the intellectual knowledge about how to do what I'm trying to do (I know what works and how to do it) and consistently changing my behavior and thoughts to match that intellectual knowledge. The delay between overeating or undereating and the result stymie me every time. I believe I have sufficient motivation, but I keep forgetting what I'm trying to do and continue doing what I want to stop doing. Hunger is a very unpleasant sensation for me and it seems that's what it takes to be slim. That makes it difficult to remain in that state for long enough to reach my goal. I end up feeling abused and resentful even when there is no abuse taking place. Does anyone else connect past physical/emotional/sexual abuse with how they feel about food and eating?

Replies

• TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    First of all, you don't have to be hungry to lose weight. Eat more fiber and protein if you are hungry! Drink plenty of water and avoid processed foods, especially carbs, if you are still hungry.

If you are losing too fast (more than 2 lbs. a week), just eat more.

I think everyone has an emotional connection to food to some degree. I was on this site for months before I began to lose weight, mostly because I was unwilling to give up my favorite foods. I'd find myself in front of the tv with a bowl of sugary cereal before I really knew what I was doing. The connection to comfort had me thinking that I couldn't go a day without a bowl of cereal or other unhealthy choice.

Today, I have a box of kraft mac-n-cheese sitting in my pantry. That is one of my ultimate comfort foods. I've cleared out all other processed junk from my house, but I keep that box as a kind of reminder that I can have it whenever I want. Everyday I see that box still on the shelf, I see as a kind of victory. It is me taking control of my life and my health.
  • gailmelanie
    gailmelanie Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I am no stranger to diet and exercise. I have had success with Weight Watchers in the past, but the members didn't really talk about the things that are delved into in this forum and I'm not willing to spend the money on that when I don't really want to go to the meetings. They changed their system to a less user-friendly format, too, which turned me off. Strangely enough, I learned about the effects of carbs on my psyche and body when I went on the Atkins diet some years ago. I didn't lose any weight doing that, but I sure learned that carbs are a problem for me. I have never gone back to the kind of diet I ate before that, and by and large I eat what most people would call a "healthy" diet, high in fiber, moderate fat and protein, just too much of it. I usually enjoy exercise but these days I don't get to do it at the hour of the day I would like (in the evening) so it's become more of a chore. I do have to remind myself to drink more water, though. One thing I heard at a Weight Watchers meeting is that thirst is sometimes perceived as hunger, so it's better to drink some water first to determine if it's really hunger. That works when I do it, but I do still get hungry. Today, at this time of day, I am about 400 cal short of my day's limit. That's not much of a dinner, but I'll see if I can fill it out enough with vegetables to not wake up starving in the morning. Exercise is key to weight loss, but in my life to this point, even when I have seriously cut back on calories and dilligently exercised vigorously, it takes forever to lose weight. I've never lost more than 2 lbs per week unless I was sick enough to not eat for days. And I rarely get sick.
    I'm also having trouble imagining continuing to eat the way it would be necessary to eat to maintain the weight loss if I ever did actually get to my goal. The smaller your body is, the less it needs to survive. I think the more important goal for me is not the weight loss but a shift in perception and behavior so that, as you say, I know I can eat, but I don't. Even bettter, I don't think about food at all unless I get hungry, then eat only enough to not be hungry right then and go on about my other business, not thinking about food, again. The times I've paid attention to how long it takes to satisfy physical hunger I have found that it takes very little food, often just a few bites. There are a lot of environmental factors that make it difficult to eat that way. The bite-sized food is often processed and high carb or high fat. Salads and meat are not usually bite-sized and don't keep that well when you take a few bites and put it back in the 'fridge.
    I hear myself making excuses just now, so I'll recognize that and stop, but I will say I do have trouble nibbling instead of eating a meal.
    Thanks for your input! Every little bit helps.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i thought this was about the tv show psych.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i sabotage myself. i will lose a few pounds then eat junk again.

i'm horrible.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    I think you can find what you are looking for in OA and by working the steps. I, myself, am a recovering alcoholic and used alcohol to deal with life on lifes terms, so I understand what you are going through,

Being intelligent but not in control is very common among people with addiction. We use our weapon of choice as comfort instead of actually dealing with our emotions. It is easier to stuff them into a cake or bottle of vodka because dealing with them is harder to handle and we do not want to relive those emotions.

If you do not have an OA in your town, feel free to pm me and I will send you a link to a website that deals with types addiction. They even have groups for people that use that have been abused.

Please know you are not alone.
  • gailmelanie
    Options
    Thank you. I recognize the addiction component of what I do and the way I feel about it. I have considered OA and looked into where the meetings are. I know if I say that the tiimes and locations of the meetings are terribly inconvenient it could be pointed out that I am making excuses to continue with my addiction, but they really are terribly inconvenient. I won't die at the moment, or harm anyone else by continuing in my addiction. I'm not trying to justify it, just acknowlege it. The main problem is the psychic discomfort it causes me and has caused me for many years. Stuffing feelings is something I need to become more aware of and I'm using the "notes about eating" on my food tally page to try to do that. Anxiety and boredome are my biggest triggers to want to eat. There is also the thought that it is a terrible waste to throw food away that keeps me eating more than I know I should or even want to. I have to give that up and train myself to take very small portions to start, knowing that I could have more if I want, and pay attention to when I get physically satisfied along with what emotions might be needing to be stuffed. I think food is more of an avoidance or distraction than a comfort when it comes to it being my drug. And I'm glad to know I'm not alone.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Options
    Well, let me ask you this, if you had cancer and the place you need to get chemo was inconvenient, would you go?

What you are saying is actually typical and very normal believe it or not. Addiction is the only disease that tells us that we are not sick and to keep doing what we are doing all the while it is killing us. Our brains also justify all the excuses in the world for not seeking help because we actually get something out of staying sick and using our weapon of choice.

Feel free to check out www.intherooms.com . There will be a host of tools available to you if you decide that you want to take control of your life back. Right now, he is winning.

What you are experiencing is NOT just a matter of diet and exercise. You must seek help, whether it be in OA or therapy before you are going to be able to be whole and healthy again. It is not as simple as "oh get over it" or in my case, why dont you just stop drinking. I did not have a drinking problem, I had a thinking problem.

I never EVER thought I would be able to let go of the things I have in these last 5 years. I am a miracle, I really am.

Peace, love and light be with you friend.
  • samblanken
    samblanken Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    First of all, you don't have to be hungry to lose weight. Eat more fiber and protein if you are hungry! Drink plenty of water and avoid processed foods, especially carbs, if you are still hungry.

If you are losing too fast (more than 2 lbs. a week), just eat more.

I think everyone has an emotional connection to food to some degree. I was on this site for months before I began to lose weight, mostly because I was unwilling to give up my favorite foods. I'd find myself in front of the tv with a bowl of sugary cereal before I really knew what I was doing. The connection to comfort had me thinking that I couldn't go a day without a bowl of cereal or other unhealthy choice.

Today, I have a box of kraft mac-n-cheese sitting in my pantry. That is one of my ultimate comfort foods. I've cleared out all other processed junk from my house, but I keep that box as a kind of reminder that I can have it whenever I want. Everyday I see that box still on the shelf, I see as a kind of victory. It is me taking control of my life and my health.

I did the same thing with the mac n cheese. When I finally got around to eating it, it was the saltiest, nastiest most disgusting thing I'd ever put in my mounth! Have no desire to try that again!
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is largely learning to deal with "head issues". Lets face it...we didnt all get fat by having a healthy relationship with food. Food, for many of us, became a source of comfort, a sense of control (yes, even in a bad way), or even a place to hide. If you dont deal with that addictive behavior and what is causing it, then you will not have long term success. I think its the hardest part of the journey really.
  • marti37
    marti37 Posts: 5
    Options
    I would also like to point out that you say you have a young child that you would like to be around for. I am wondering why you are making so many excuses if you recognize you have a problem? You say you know you have a food addiction and need to do something about it but are doing self sabotaging behaviors. A person with a different kind of substance abuse problem also does not kill theirselves overnight as you said about food but in the long run they will harm themslves just like food addicts. I think the very first thing to do in order to lose weight is be painfully honest with yourself. I am saying all this because I was where you seem to be about 3 months ago. I lied to myself for a very long time and can recognize this now. I would have said the exact same thing about the meetings being too far away, I work too late, it's too far to drive, i need to get home to take care of my kids.. whatever I needed to say so I wouldn't have to say to myself " I don't want to deal with my issues right now". Also feeling hunger is a natural sensation, stuffing ourselves with whatever your food choice is until we are miserable is unnatural. If you need to pee you take care of it the same should be with eating. I hope you don't feel like I am being critical because I do not want to do that to anyone. I have been there. I know all the right behaviors I am supposed to do and just did not want to do them myself. Now I am doing them and I stumble, fall off the wagon but run to catch up and get back on. I make a choice everyday to treat myself very kindly, mind and body
  • gailmelanie
    Options
    Thanks for the website suggestion. That helps with the inconvenience. If I had cancer and I thought I could be cured by inconvenient treatment, yes I would go to the inconvenient treatments to save my life. Right now my body is in good health and my mental health isn't bad except for this issue we are discussing. I have been in therapy before for this and somehow got nowhere with it. I always felt there was something I was missing in the way of understanding and none of the therapists I went to were able to point out anything I didn't already know and none of them suggested I had an eating disorder or a food addiction. That's frustrating. I do recognize I have a problem, one that causes psychic discomfort, as I have said, and leads, in part, to my obesity. What I would like to have happen is to be cured of the addiction, but as I understand it, addiction is never cured, only controlled and set aside with constant vigilance required to keep from relapsing. That is what keeps me from putting treatment or intervention first before all the other things I do in my life to contribute to my general good health and well-being. I know that the logical response to that is, "You can't even find out whether you can be cured or just controlled if you don't start treatment." That's why I bring it up here. This is convenient and powerful. What is it like going to AA or OA meetings? Do revelations and epiphanies come of that, or is it just a recurrent "ain't it awful" group lament? I am an incest survivor, too, and I attended an incest survivor's group therapy for a while which helped me tremendously, but it was not a 12 step program and the members made up the rules by mutual agreement. While I will always be an incest survivor, the impact of that injury has been minimized to the point that my behavior is not ruled by it. That's where I want to be with food and eating.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Options
    AA saved me from my self, it saved my life, my marriage, my relationships with family and I had no idea there was anything wrong.

They are not a group of people that set around white knuckling it till the day we die. Meetings are great and it is very comforting hearing the experience strength and hope from people. Meetings are nothing like the over dramatized crap you see in the movies and on TV. You do not share unless you want to and it is best not to for the first 30 days anyway. I found that I looked forward to meetings as they were fun and it is nice being around people that understand me.

It is basically a program that makes you understand yourself and you have to hold yourself accountable. Its all about willingness. Willingness to take that first step, willingness to accept responsibility for crap an willingness to let things go.

I totally get what you are saying, those are the exact same things that keep most alcoholics out of the rooms. They have a case of the "yets" I have never had a DUI................yet. I have never had a wreck...............yet. I have never been in rehab.............yet. I have not been fired..........yet. I think you get the point.

What it boils down to is the fact that the answer lies with in you, you just have to be willing to find it and accept responsibility for it. I pretty much was very aware of my defaults of character as well, I was very surprised to find out how deep seeded they were as well as other ones that I tried to deny, but after a while of that mirror to my face, I was not able to any more. Funny thing is, those are the ones that are most noticed when changed. They are also the ones we feel we need to hold on to the most.

Long story short, just like any addict, no one can talk you into wanting recovery, you have to do that all on your own. It is not an easy road, but oh my is it worth the journey. I promise you that.
  • gailmelanie
    Options
    That's a very encouraging story. I admit there definitely is some fear involved in really staring addiction in the eye. But how come only the people who are here on MFP recognize it? Am I good at keeping it hidden? How come I don't binge or purge? How come when I describe my discomfort to people they (mostly) either tell me to just stop eatiing so much or that there really isn't a problem? Are they all just codependent enablers? If I were an alcoholic wouldn't people notice? Although, in response to that question I guess I know people who are alcoholics who seem to live normal lives. How do they do that? Where did I aquire the shame that seems to always be lurking in my mind about eating, and the fear of being hungry? What about the business of "recovering?" I always hear folks who go to these 12-step programs refer to themselves as recovering, never recovered. Does that mean that there is no such thing as conquering addiction and not being an addict any more? That right there makes me groan inwardly and feels like a huge stumbling block in the way of even getting started. I want to be over and done with that forever. Can that be done?