"BLACK or AFRICAN AMERICAN" mainly a question...

Options

Replies

• Marianeyda
    Marianeyda Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I always thought "ppl of colour" was more offensive.

And technically, can you really call a "person of colour" an African-American since Americans don't spell color that way anyway?

Sorry... just picking on you a bit.

lol... sorry COLOR. And im learning something new already. never looked at "ppl of colour" as offensive.
    maybe its just me

I was born/raised/live in the deep south. Calling someone a "person of color" would get you slapped. It implies that white/caucasians are devoid of color. Surprisingly enough though, more people here seem to prefer to be called "black" though African-American is used when describing the culture.

nice what part of south texas!
  • EyeLikeTacos
    EyeLikeTacos Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I am not racist either, i am fair.
    Whew. Glad you said that. It's always best for white people who use the "n word" to follow-up with, "I'm not racist either".
    Referring to the time that I was insulted racially and fought fire w/fire. It really shows that either you have never been close friends with anyone black, or maybe they were raised different and don't use the word. IDK.
    Danilee...I will go out on a limb and defend you for a second...

I totally get what you mean..There are few ...I mean a few white people who have been around black people soo damn long..it's as iff they are now part of the family...I myself have a white friend who we call the n word too..and he is allowed to use it among me and my family and friends...he is trully a black man in a white man's body...AND get this ...he from Texas.

Thank you :) I guess that some people just can't understand.

As a white person no I don't understand. I work with a woman who is like a mother to me and she is black... and if I called her that she would not only be hurt that I called her that (because she is not that) but she would think less of me... so no I don't understand either... but then again, I don't call my friends deragotory names of any kind, whether it's accepted or not.

Let me explain the difference...You said " I work with a woman who is like a mother to me and she is black"

You did not say..."I grew up with black people and I was pretty much the ONLY white person in their crew....I am like family to them"

That's when the N word is allowed to be used...

and we aren't referring to the N-gger we are referring to N-gga

Therre is a difference..and if you don't know...it's because you have NOT been around enought black people to know the difference
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    ....for the Older generation. I know this is a weight loss site, but i know there's a diverse group of ppl here who i can get responses from. With that being said, why is it that some "ppl of colour" get upset when they are referred to as BLACK instead of AFRICAN AMERICAN. Maybe i hvnt spent enough time in history class, but i am black, whts the big difference?

Are you English? I only ask that because you spelled it "colour" and because I've had this question posed to me while working abroad in London. The gentleman asked this of me and was pretty passionate about it because I guess when he was traveling in the US he used "Black" and was told that he was a terrible African American, to which he responded "I'm neither African nor American, I'm British." I also used to work with some girls who had a discussion about it and they said they never use "Black" because no one is truely black but they'll describe each other as Coffee, Mocha, Blue, and quite a few other descriptives . . . which I kind of thought was beautiful.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Aflack (per skitty)

As the only Chinese guy growing up in a mostly African American neighborhood, I referred to everyone as African American rather than Black because being politically correct kept me from getting my *kitten* whupped. Even to the green card Jamaican born guys that were neither African or American.

One time in 6th grade someone started a rumor that I had used the N-word. Maybe they misheard something or someone wanted to instigate a fight. Some of my "friends" turned on me so quick. More or less the entire class erupted and I nearly got expelled defending myself... all in the span of about 15 minutes.

Some people take "just a word" pretty seriously.

but your Chinese, so you must be a shaolin monk. No fair whooping the entire 6th grade.
  • EyeLikeTacos
    EyeLikeTacos Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    But what about Eskimos?

Dag...you really want some attention!

So are they Black Eskimos or White Eskimos?
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    best thread EVAR! oh and i like my women like my coffee Strong and black
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    sometimes i feel like ive been punched in the gut when i realize how bad the USA has been to minorities. and the sadder part is that it wasnt that long ago.

so i say let them be called anything they want. maybe in a 100 years those wounds wont be so fresh.
  • vancemcdaniel
    Options
    I always laugh at this question. first off I'm not black. I'm a rather warm shade of brown. I don't even use the term WHITE People. When in all actuality they are more TRANSLUCENT than white.

I know it's easier to use simple terms like, white, black, yellow and brown instead of American of African decent, or American of German decent. etc etc.... In the end it does not really matter. What I care about is your intent when using any term. It's not so much about the word. It's about the intent.

I think we get too caught up on words. Life is too short.

Oh! and I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance!
  • aelitaangels
    aelitaangels Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Black is the umbrella term, those of african desent, in africa, the carribean, the americas, europe etc.

African American usually reffers to the descendants of the african slaves that were brought to the United States and is usually used to refer to the unique culture that was developed there (for example, Jazz and R&B music comes from african american culture)

Its not offensive to use either terms. It's only gets offensive when someone acts uncomfortable with those terms and tries too hard to be politically correct.
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    But what about Eskimos?
    I dont know but ive been told Eskimo booty is mighty cold
  • KittenCurls
    Options
    The older generation is more attached to the identity "Black" because of what the identity came to mean in the 1960's. Moving from being called a "Negro" to being called "Black" was a huge accomplishment and a huge sense of pride came along with that change. With the civil rights movements and several "Black Power" campaigns, they have become emotionally attached to the term, even to the point where calling them anything else now seems offensive.

But strictly speaking in socio-cultural terms - Black is a race. African American is an ethnic group. Every Black person is not African American, every African American isn't Black.

I personally get offended when every Black person in America is referred to as an African American. There are so many Black ethnic groups and they are limiting us by calling us ALL African American. It's very one dimensional. Black people are global and come from so many ethnic groups - Afro-Cubans, Afro-Brazilians, Afro-Panamanians, and the list goes on. :0)
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    But what about Eskimos?

Inuit?
  • FindingSexy
    FindingSexy Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I call myself Anerican! I was born here.
  • sassylm22
    Options
    Well, i know some ppl are about to b hostile about the question, but really, its only a question, i wanted to know wht other ppl think about it from their PERSONAL EXPERIENCE.
    never feel uncomfortable to educate yourself in any form! If people get upset over you asking, then their the ones with an issue, not you!
  • Tann19
    Tann19 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Drinking a beer and watching the carnage

too funny!
    It's getting hot in here, take off all your clothes.....

:drinker:
  • dont_u_mean_carrots
    Options
    In my opinion people are too over sensitive these days. There isn't anything wrong with words. Sticks and stones break bones but words will never hurt me. Who cares? Over sensitive people care. ;)
  • pinthin87
    pinthin87 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    This all got really interesting. I have enjoyed reading everyone's points of view.
  • rprussell2004
    rprussell2004 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    How about just "person?"

A point was made to me not too long ago that the entire CONCEPT of race (as separate from Ethnicity - your genetic makeup, or Culture - your social background) was for all intents and purposes INVENTED by white people and more or less around when colonization of the states began.

It was necessary (or at least useful) at some level to be able to have a concrete reason for committing genocide against the natives and importing other people for use as commandable furniture.

The solution ended up being along the lines of "we are naturally better/stronger/purer than these other folks," and they based it off of race - at that time there was "people of color" and by implication, us "normal" folks. History is written by the victors, so it's all stuck.

And unfortunately, it's pretty much handed down parent-to-child.

So black, white, asian, middle-eastern, hispanic - we're all just goddamned people. Put a bunch of kids together and they'll play together like kids. Any other prejudice is ingrained by our previous generations.

SO - PARENTS - KNOCK THAT **** OFF.
  • fatnurse271
    Options
    I am 40yrs old and I only refer to myself as black. I have white friends from Africa that have come to the United states ,and they too call themselves African American. Saying your African American links you to your African heritage,and for alot of people thats really important. For me, I have no desire to do such a thing, and Im ok with the identity I have. I am a product of slavery and that is a given, but I have no desire to immerse myself in African Heritage or culture. I do have a desire to be further educated on the matter, but i no reason yet to believe Africa is where I belong. You my dear are an American and with that right you may call yourself whatever you like.
  • sassylm22
    Options
    sometimes i feel like ive been punched in the gut when i realize how bad the USA has been to minorities. and the sadder part is that it wasnt that long ago.

so i say let them be called anything they want. maybe in a 100 years those wounds wont be so fresh.
    from your mouth to our creators ears! ;)