"BLACK or AFRICAN AMERICAN" mainly a question...

Options
virichi08
virichi08 Posts: 465 Member
....for the Older generation. I know this is a weight loss site, but i know there's a diverse group of ppl here who i can get responses from. With that being said, why is it that some "ppl of colour" get upset when they are referred to as BLACK instead of AFRICAN AMERICAN. Maybe i hvnt spent enough time in history class, but i am black, whts the big difference?

Replies

• CanadianThunder
    Options
    I'm curious for this answer as well, as many are not even from Africa.
  • _MissTerious_
    Options
    Seriously?!?!
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I prefer "soul challenged"... but I get called "ginger".... to each their own.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I always thought "ppl of colour" was more offensive.

And technically, can you really call a "person of colour" an African-American since Americans don't spell color that way anyway?

Sorry... just picking on you a bit.
  • virichi08
    Options
    Seriously?!?!

Yea, i mean i've talked to some (now) white friends and at first if they said something and used the word "black (in a non racist way of coarse) they'd look at me all weird and say sorry and switch it around to African American. and im just like, its ok *puzzled look on my face*
  • still_crafty
    still_crafty Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    *throws feet up on desk* who brought the popcorn?
  • CanadianThunder
    Options

And technically, can you really call a "person of colour" an African-American since Americans don't spell color that way anyway?

Funnily enough, even in Canada where we spell it "colour", black people are often referred to as "African Americans" even though they are usually neither African nor American.
  • virichi08
    Options

lol... sorry COLOR. And im learning something new already. never looked at "ppl of colour" as offensive.
    maybe its just me
  • EyeLikeTacos
    EyeLikeTacos Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Yes: African American is offensive to a lot of people of color...
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Not black myself, but got my undergrad degree in African-American history (focus on Civil War era). I took several courses from the same professor since the school only had one in that subspecialty. On the first day of every class, he would start with an explanation of why he used the term "African American" rather than "black" history.

He reasoned that for a very long time, African Americans were denied their African heritage. During the slave trade, Africans from the same region would be intentionally split up so that they did not share a common language or common history that they could share together. They were told for years (even up to today) that they were lucky to have been brought here, that they came from a place with nothing to be proud of, from a history of savage heathens, that they'd be living in misery if they or their ancestors hadn't been taken as slaves across the Atlantic. On top of that, they were long denied status as Americans as well. They started out as property, then became free with conditions, then became legally equal, but continue to struggle for true equality. African Americans are often seen as mere hangers-on to the greatness of America rather than an integral part of its success.

So "African American" means something different than "black." It is not merely a way to identify someone's appearance, but a way to acknowledge their history, heritage, and contribution that were deliberately ignored and denied for so long.

Not everyone sees it this way of course. Many people are just fine being called "black." And it's sometimes ridiculous how the term has come to be used to describe any person of African descent. But I don't think it's ridiculous or overly-PC to use "African American" as many people seem to gripe about.

Just my perspective.
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    Charlize Theron is an african american.
  • _MissTerious_
    Options
    *throws feet up on desk* who brought the popcorn?

^^^^Damn, b*tch, I effing love you!
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    One of my close friends told me he actually hates when people call him African-American because it make him feel like LESS of an American. He said to me once (because my ancestors on my dad's side came from Scotland) "Why am I African-American and you're just American? I am no more African than you are Scottish and certainly no less American than you."

I thought it was an interesting point. Bottome line, he prefers "black" to "African-American" or "person of color."
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    I prefer "soul challenged"... but I get called "ginger".... to each their own.
    hey now im offended buy the term "soul challenged" i worked hard for every soul i stole!!
  • EyeLikeTacos
    Options
    Not black myself, but got my undergrad degree in African-American history (focus on Civil War era). I took several courses from the same professor since the school only had one in that subspecialty. On the first day of every class, he would start with an explanation of why he used the term "African American" rather than "black" history.

He reasoned that for a very long time, African Americans were denied their African heritage. During the slave trade, Africans from the same region would be intentionally split up so that they did not share a common language or common history that they could share together. They were told for years (even up to today) that they were lucky to have been brought here, that they came from a place with nothing to be proud of, from a history of savage heathens, that they'd be living in misery if they or their ancestors hadn't been taken as slaves across the Atlantic. On top of that, they were long denied status as Americans as well. They started out as property, then became free with conditions, then became legally equal, but continue to struggle for true equality. African Americans are often seen as mere hangers-on to the greatness of America rather than an integral part of its success.

So "African American" means something different than "black." It is not merely a way to identify someone's appearance, but a way to acknowledge their history, heritage, and contribution that were deliberately ignored and denied for so long.

Not everyone sees it this way of course. Many people are just fine being called "black." And it's sometimes ridiculous how the term has come to be used to describe any person of African descent. But I don't think it's ridiculous or overly-PC to use "African American" as many people seem to gripe about.

Just my perspective.

I like this...very well said...

I see it that way too....

You are born Black

But raised in the African American culture
  • EyeLikeTacos
    Options

I thought it was an interesting point. Bottome line, he prefers "black" to "African-American" or "person of color."

YES! I agree!
  • virichi08
    Options

Just my perspective.
    AHHHHHHHH.... i see, i see.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    Funnily enough, even in Canada where we spell it "colour", black people are often referred to as "African Americans" even though they are usually neither African nor American.

I do find that funny.
  • virichi08
    Options
    Well, i know some ppl are about to b hostile about the question, but really, its only a question, i wanted to know wht other ppl think about it from their PERSONAL EXPERIENCE.
  • Foxypoo61287
    Foxypoo61287 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Maybe people think that if they are called "African-American" they automatically think they are from Africa. Your really not Black...we should call you brown. White people should not be called white, they should be called tan. And then Asians, Why aren't they called Yellow people? Hmm..they mysteries of the world...