"BLACK or AFRICAN AMERICAN" mainly a question...

Options

Replies

• virichi08
    virichi08 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I personally do not want to be referred to as African American. Here is why...I do not hold a belief that all "Black" people are decendants of Africa. Plenty of people from countries such as the Dominican Replublic identify as "Black" even though they speak Spanish and are of "mixed" heritage. That is just one example. Myself personally...I identify as "black" but my great grand-father was in fact of Irish (white) descent. My father's father was hispanic. I feel that most "black" people are many things so to be labeled from Africa automatically is not ok to me. I don't get terribly offended when called African American because I know most people are meerly attempting to be politically correct. Howeverm those that I am close with I let them know I prefer Black. I think the term "black" also partially refers to our skin complexion (which is really brown...lol), but this is less offensive to me because as I stated before plenty of other nationalities (such as Dominicans) have dark skin besides "black" people. That's just my two cents.

Good points. Thank God, someone who dsnt get all offended by a question asked by BLACK PERSON THEMSEVLES.
  • still_crafty
    still_crafty Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    waiting for someone to post that 'DIS GONNA BE GOOD" video for this thread.

I'm still waiting for the effing popcorn!
  • bsix3
    bsix3 Posts: 291
    Options
    is Sexual Chocolate still available?
  • Daisy_Cutter
    Options
    My dad is black. Most people just look at me as white... I don't get it. LOL -- heck, people call me what they want... I don't care.

Charlize Theron is an african american.

Yes... yes, she is!
  • EyeLikeTacos
    EyeLikeTacos Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I know someone is about to upset with this one, but y'all hve the right to be upset and i hve the right to ask.
    SOOOOOOOOOOOOO why is it offensive for some to be called, "African American, Black, Black American, Afro American People of colour" but umm, the N word is used SOOO loosely?

Whoa...Slow your roll princess!

Seriously... just asking. To ME, from MY PERSONAL expericence. the N word is obvisouly offensive and a "no-no" to say the least. The was i was raised those other terms i wrote up there were considered to be respectful. Now as an adult im finding out different.

Yes I see what you mean...I am personally from a generation when that word was taken and used to empower black people...

I see the N word as word that should be only used among black people....And other situations that I won't get into right now...

However,

These days I see the N word used by white people to other white people...even Asians to Asians....It's very open and thrown around...I don't get offended...I don't even care..

The word is only a hate word when coming from someone who has hate in his/her heart....

So take for example...

Lets say one of my closest white friends said to me "What's up my N..."

NO BIGGIE

but some racist person said, "Shut up boy"

Those are fighting words!
  • aa1440
    aa1440 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I personally do not want to be referred to as African American. Here is why...I do not hold a belief that all "Black" people are decendants of Africa. Plenty of people from countries such as the Dominican Replublic identify as "Black" even though they speak Spanish and are of "mixed" heritage. That is just one example. Myself personally...I identify as "black" but my great grand-father was in fact of Irish (white) descent. My father's father was hispanic. I feel that most "black" people are many things so to be labeled from Africa automatically is not ok to me. I don't get terribly offended when called African American because I know most people are meerly attempting to be politically correct. Howeverm those that I am close with I let them know I prefer Black. I think the term "black" also partially refers to our skin complexion (which is really brown...lol), but this is less offensive to me because as I stated before plenty of other nationalities (such as Dominicans) have dark skin besides "black" people. That's just my two cents.

This^^ I have not followed my family roots back far enough to know where my ancestors came from.
  • Ayumiin
    Ayumiin Posts: 1
    Options
    I always prefer black to African American, and often times, and over black, I prefer just to be American. I get people asking me all the time what nationality am (people over the internet who hear my voice) I and I always say American. America was where I was born, where I was raised, and where I live and I identify myself more with just being American than I do black or African American.

But I guess if they really must know, I'll let them know I'm black. I can't trace my family far enough back to Africa and according to my mom, her side of the family has a good bit of Native American ancestry. So identifying with Africa, ain't gonna happen with me.
  • BigAlfrn
    BigAlfrn Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    just thought of this. someone non black using the N word is like a man calling a woman the B word. woman can call other women b*tches all day long. but dont let a man say it. its along the same lines. just an observation
  • _MissTerious_
    Options
    *peaks* Meh, I'd say I'm more caramel in color.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    N word is used by mostly blacks, and some whites. I say the N word. Maybe it's a TX thing. I am not going to lie, it is what it is, oh and when I use the N word, I don't discriminate.
    NOT "a TX thing". I've never used that word.
  • virichi08
    virichi08 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Ok, i've seen it twice (i thnk on this thread) where ppl are "going to get thier popcorn" or "waiting for someon to pop off" or whatever, but seriously, nothing i wrote here was racist by any means, no where was i trying to offend anyone, so why the big deal that i asked a race based question? Im not cursing anyone out or sending ppl hate mail. Im curious and wanting another HUMANS perspective on the subject other than my own. So why the big 'OMG, CANT BLIEVE SHE ASKED THIS QUESTION?'
    ON TOP OF THAT, I am ALSO black....
  • Yardtigress
    Yardtigress Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I don't like the hyphen American, I feel that it separates people to much. I'm an American I was born and raised here. Black is ok, but if you want color, then everyone is a form of that color, brown, beige, tan, it gets confusing. The N word is a no-no, I feel it's like calling someone Fatty Fatty, name calling doesn't help anyone it just hurts. Just saying that people do stupid things. If you like person of color, or African American, then tell people what you prefer. I call my friends, My friends, and A**holes, A**holes, their color has nothing to do with it.
  • pittskaa
    pittskaa Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    N word is used by mostly blacks, and some whites. I say the N word. Maybe it's a TX thing. I am not going to lie, it is what it is, oh and when I use the N word, I don't discriminate.

blacks. i hate when people refer to "black people" "african american people", whatever, as blacks. irritates me so much.
  • aa1440
    aa1440 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I know someone is about to upset with this one, but y'all hve the right to be upset and i hve the right to ask.
    SOOOOOOOOOOOOO why is it offensive for some to be called, "African American, Black, Black American, Afro American People of colour" but umm, the N word is used SOOO loosely?

Don't like the "N" word. I don't use it and I don't let other Blacks/African Americans to use it around me.
  • EyeLikeTacos
    Options
    just thought of this. someone non black using the N word is like a man calling a woman the B word. woman can call other women b*tches all day long. but dont let a man say it. its along the same lines. just an observation

I think this way too..

Although in times of role playing...the B word will get used!
  • Janet9906
    Janet9906 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I refer to myself as chocolate awesome

And that's why I love you xo
  • EyeLikeTacos
    Options

blacks. i hate when people refer to "black people" "african american people", whatever, as blacks. irritates me so much.

blacks = no no

black folk , black people = all good
  • Fatal1ty2k5
    Fatal1ty2k5 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    i just say black even in front of black people. So far no one has taken offense.
  • pittskaa
    pittskaa Posts: 319 Member
    Options

blacks = no no

black folk , black people = all good

exactly. you don't hear people saying "oh look at those whites!" its so annoying when anyone says blacks. /end rant. :bigsmile:
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options

Or maybe it's just a you (and your neighborhood) thing... 'cause I live in Texas (and have for over half my life) and I have never said it nor has anyone else I know... white, black, brown or yellow... But then maybe it's because I'm white... or maybe it's because I don't care to use words that are considered derogatory... I don't call my girls "my *****es" and I don't call gay men "*kitten*" either.... If other people want to call themselves or others that, then fine... but it's not for everyone.

Dang it! I just wanted to lurk, because this stuff fascinates me.