snack after midnight-to which day do you add calories?

Options

Replies

• caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i sleep til 3 or 4 pm.. so i just go by whatever mfp day it is, that's when i log my food.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    I found it works well if I eat a lot or drink a lot late at nite, I go back to a day the week before where I was under my goal and put it there. What the heck, its the same month.

Folks...It doesn't matter what you put down or where you put it down....SCALE DON'T LIE!...GEEZ.
    While I would generally agree that the big picture is more important than the day-by-day, I can't help but point out that what you're doing is, well, stupid.

Let me prove my point with an exaggeration. Bill and Frank both consumed 42,000 calories last month. Bill was always between 1200 and 1600 calories per day. Frank often consumed 4000 calories a day and then fasted the next day. They both met their monthly calorie goals. Would you say they that Frank completed his goal with just as much success as Bill?

Oh, and didn't even mention the word metabolism.

I'd say they're both screwing themselves because no man should be eating that few calories. Aside from that I'd merely say bill was more consistent. Fasting a few times a week is rather unnecessary but in terms of weight loss we can't make any conclusions.
  • lonestarsanta2003
    Options
    I've just always put it on the next day...helps me keep track.
  • Gregularity
    Gregularity Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'd say they're both screwing themselves because no man should be eating that few calories.
    Well, that's rude. Bill and Frank are dwarfs.
    Aside from that I'd merely say bill was more consistent. Fasting a few times a week is rather unnecessary but in terms of weight loss we can't make any conclusions.
    Hmm. Well, I'm not going to search the net for studies about that, but I can't honestly imagine that the human body, after tens of thousands of years of evolution, would respond positively to gorging itself on a regular basis, only to starve itself just as often.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    whatever day you have calories left in
  • charlynette73
    Options
    That's funny
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    If i haven't gone to sleep yet, I post it for the previous day.
  • 21June
    21June Posts: 99
    Options
    I work nights and find it difficult to go through the night without having something to eat! If its after midnight though, I do include it in that days calorie count.:smile:
  • windycitycupcake
    windycitycupcake Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    maybe i should i change the name of this thread to nutrition for dwarves lol
  • LesIsMoreXX
    Options
    I wait with cookies in hand and when the clock strikes 12 I go mental.

But really, I count from midnight as the next day because I tend to be up late and sleep late in the day.
  • AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Personally I count anything before I go to bed as a "day" - but that said, as long as you're consistent and not manipulating it to make yourself feel better it's fine. If you start shifting it around I think it defeats the purpose of logging - I am not logging for anyone else. I am logging for myself, and if I manipulate it the only person I am hurting and lying to is...me.
  • lovinmyselfagain
    lovinmyselfagain Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I also do midnight-midnight. I workout late at night before bed, so I often log my exercise for the previous day even if it's after midnight when I finish. But my post work-out snack I log in the current day. Just do what works for you and keep the logging consistent so you don't trip yourself up. And as someone previously said, as long as your calorie deficit is where it should be by the end of the week then you're all good and still should be losing the same amount of weight.
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    Like most here, I consider my day to be from the time I wake up in the morning to the time I go back to bed - even if that turns out to be 3am. I don't think it will matter much as long as you're consistent.
  • Moretakitty
    Moretakitty Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I always consider a day from the time I wake up to the time I go to bed. But I'm sure everyone here has their own way of recording it.

Same here. :)
  • cally69
    cally69 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    First World problems...

you people need to relax. this is a weight loss forum, it's okay to ask questions. why bother putting negative comments on the thread, just ignore it if you're not interested.

Welcome to the MFP forums!. Always someone just waiting to jump down your throat.....hehe. Must be the hunger pangs making people grouchy, just ignore them (some are repeat offenders, you'll get to know who they are)
  • winznaive
    winznaive Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I do midnight-midnight, im a law student so my sleep cycles are erratic, how i count my cals; i find myself more consistent that way. I arrive home 10pm-11pm I eat an egg or an apple or anything that doesnt make me go over my calorie goals (and less because its late). Sometimes i eat my breakfast after midnight like 12:05 and wake up around 10-12pm.(i cant sleep till 3am, because of studying)

What works for you is whats best for your peace of mind :wink:
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,073 Member
    Options
    cardsfanlv wrote: »
    I would recommend not having a snack that late. I try to be done with my eating by around 8:00 pm. But, I'd count my days from the time I wake up till the time I go to bed.

Why would you recommend this? The timing of your eating has no impact whatsoever on weight loss, the no eating after x time is one of many diet myths. I often have a late night snack with a chamomile tea before I go to bed.
  • rabbidchicken
    rabbidchicken Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I worry more about weekly averages than day to day intake. But for what its worth i track it on the following days intake that way im more self conscious of what goes on my plate that day to keep my weekly average under the required amount for maintenance.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Never eat back anything that is past or try to eat things now you *think* you will compensate for in the future.

Always log things in the present. That is, log it in the current day.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I log stuff 4-1/2 years later. Just like posting in this thread. B)