Replies

• cannonsky
    cannonsky Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m67ijv0Kla1qizx4p.png
  • wiglett
    wiglett Posts: 53
    Options
    haha sounds like a typical CS to me! try to kill us with crappy food!
  • kobiemom
    kobiemom Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    My husband's extended family eats meat and potatoes with the occasional pasta dish. They pride themselves for not eating fruit and vegetables. A favorite uncle died two years ago of colon cancer and a heart attack while undergoing chemo. Both are linked to not eating fruits and vegetables over your lifetime. My husband decided to make more of an effort to expand his eating habits. He started by eating foods he liked with maybe one added fruit or veggie. He liked onions, so add green peppers and so on. He's almost eating a full complement of fruits and veggies at this point. A lifetime habit coupled with texture issues and strong tastebuds made it difficult, but he's doing it.
  • thaislcrd
    thaislcrd Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I don't like most fruits and veggies and have a hard time incorporating them into my diet, but I do it anyways. I eat the ones I hate the least. But I also have a 9 year-old daughter who is very picky. She will eat most fruits, but can't stand veggies. The way I've been adding the veggies into her diet is by hiding them in the things she likes. I make a rich spaghetti sauce using tomato paste instead of tomato sauce for a stronger tomato taste, since that she likes and adding blended raw veggies into the sauce. She likes beans, so I cook a beet with them. She likes creamy soup, so I make it with lots of veggies, blend, and top it with cheese and/or cream. There's also my colorful mashed potatoes. There's always something other than potatoes in it. I don't even use gravy. I make it with a bit of Parmesan, use some cauliflower to make it lighter and my daughter seems to like it. My daughter loves whole grain pasta shells stuffed with spinach and cottage cheese, topped with light Alfredo or my spaghetti sauce. For fruits, just make smoothies with them. You can even make a milk shake with light ice cream and blend lots of berries in it. There's always a way to get the fruits and veggies into your body.
  • UnstopableMother
    UnstopableMother Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have a ruff time with most veggies also I found that I like some of them better if they are cold from the can or raw. Others I still cant handle so i put them in smoothies adding fruit to sweeten them and hide the veggie flavor but if you don't like fruit try it in a vanilla shake that is mostly milk as ice cream has sugar and cream. Have you tried vegetables in soup that can often help. If you keep tying you will find a way to make some of them more edible and also get used to the taste of them.:smile:
  • patkterry
    Options
    I grew up eating the vegetables that my mom fed me.. Of course.. "country vegetables"..
    salad was boring growing up.. NOW? I love it!! Because you can put fruit in it!! and you don't have to drown everything in ranch dressing.
    I love asian salads and salads with vinaigrette dressings.. and I now like a variety of veggies as well.. LOVE cilantro, asparagus, bean sprouts, sweet potatoes..

OH! try sweet potatoes!! They are lighter and better for you than regular white potatoes. Good luck- try new things and keep with it!
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Do you like soup? Try putting veggies in your favorite soups. I make my soups out of low sodium V8 instead of "tomato soup." If you hate the idea of veggies, don't try to sit down with a salad or a big plate of broccoli. Sit down with your normal meal and have a single serving of veggies on the plate. Don't be afraid to use butter or oil to help the flavor, just use portion control and count the calories. If there veggies that repulse you, don't try to eat those right now. If there are veggies you are unfamiliar with, google the best ways to prepare them and try those. Grilled asparagus with a little lemon juice, butter, and garlic can be delicious. You could also try going to somewhere like a health food store and picking up preprepared sides to learn what you really like.

Butternut squash can be made into a wonderful cinnamon dessert or fries. Frozen peppers and onions with fresh (not frozen, makes a big difference) baby spinach make a perfect addition to a wrap. Many veggies can be pureed and sneaked into a creamy soup or into a good tomato sauce. (I hate zucchini and squash but do not notice it stirred into my sauce.) Making a pasta salad with your favorite dressing can be another easy way to sneak in a bunch of veggies. I like mine with peas, green beans, tomatoes, onions.

Have you ever tried hummus? Hummus goes great with carrots, celery, cucumbers, and peppers. What about sandwiches? Try adding a single veggie at a time until you get used to it. Baby spinach has very little flavor, and onions and tomatoes and even lettuce count. Believe it or not, sprouts make a great addition to a sandwich without a strong taste.

Make a stir fry ... there are a million different ways. But an easy one--get a frozen bag of stirfry veggies. Throw into a skillet with this: blend together: pineapple juice, peanut butter, red pepper and whatever other seasoning you like. Stir as you cook and enjoy with rice or rice noodles or however you eat your stir fries.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    You don't need them to be healthy. This 5-a-day stuff is just marketing bull****. Just get lots of meat and you're good.

I hardly ever eat fruit or veggies.

Excellent advice :noway: :noway: if you're a 4 legged predator living on the savannah. Human beings evolved to be omnivorous, eating 5 to 10 servings of fruits & vegetables a day is not marketing hype it's sound nutritional advice. (do a little research beyond the blogs & websites selling a particular ideology)
  • Florawanda
    Florawanda Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I grew up having to be persuaded to eat fruit and veggies, and still have them under protest, but make an effort to eat my 5-a-day. Check out the research into long-lived people in Japan and the Mediterranean, and one of the common factors is the number of veggies in their diet - and I heard that the real quota should be 10 portions a day, but they (the health authorities) decided that was too much to sell, so they recommended a lower level.

But I think the answer is to experiment... try putting something different in your shopping trolley every week and research the recipes on the net. And agree with the others that your taste buds will change gradually - but it does take a long time to overcome the addiction to sugar and chocolate... and it IS an addiction, and almost as harmful as alcohol, and tobacco, and much more difficult to avoid, as you have to eat, and so much processed food has sugar in it to feed the addiction.

Good luck with your journey to health! I started out at the end of last October with about the same amount as you to lose, and am now halfway to my goal!
  • Shange_Gully
    Options
    You don't need them to be healthy. This 5-a-day stuff is just marketing bull****. Just get lots of meat and you're good.

Excellent advice :noway: :noway: if you're a 4 legged predator living on the savannah. Human beings evolved to be omnivorous, eating 5 to 10 servings of fruits & vegetables a day is not marketing hype it's sound nutritional advice. (do a little research beyond the blogs & websites selling a particular ideology)

The Inuits/Eskimos among others did okay, in fact they had healthy bones and teeth. I prefer being a carnivore.
  • GadgetGuy2
    GadgetGuy2 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I'm a carnivore/hunter too. But also a gatherer. That daquri the wife made today, using boysenberries, raspberries, and strawberries that I grow in the yard (sometimes I gather fruits at the store too) was BERRYLICIOUS. Can't imagine what raw meat in a daquiri would taste like.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options

The Inuits/Eskimos among others did okay, in fact they had healthy bones and teeth. I prefer being a carnivore.

Inuits didn't exclusively eat animal protein. They would supplement their diets with things like seaweed.
  • CupcakeHarpy
    CupcakeHarpy Posts: 100 Member
    Options

I hope you're prepared for lots of nutrient deficiencies and unpleasant colorectal issues. I also hope you're aware of the immense amount of money spent marketing meat and dairy. Produce is barely marketed at all. It's just necessary for life. Good luck.

The many tribes around the world who have lived off meat have done okay, I'll take my chances. Meat has tonnes of vitamins anyway.

Yep. Meat has vitamins not found anywhere else in nature (b12, etc. fortified tofu doesn't count. the vitamins are added to the food, not there naturally). But the tribes you talk about also hunt the food, which means they eat what they come across and aren't really picky, including insect larve, snakes, rodents, insects, wild game (the word here is... wild...), fish if they can get it, and also vegetation. And they don't let anything go to waste.. organ meats, tails, eyes, brains, fat, and even making congealed blood cubes (they are gross, I've had that). They'll then suck out the marrow in the bones or boil the bones in water to get every last nutrient out of it. When most people think of meat, they think chicken breast, hamburger, chicken breast, pork loin, chicken breast, ribeye....
  • FlaxMilk
    Options
    To be extremely picky, I am pretty sure that B-12 is only found "naturally" in meat because the animals eat dirt, where B-12 actually naturally occurs. Eating veggies used to provide B-12 until our food got "too" clean.
  • caitlyn30
    caitlyn30 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    thats so me.
    I think If you are having to eat something everyday that you don't like because "they are good for you" , you won't be able to stick with this everyday and you will quit.
    watch your calories, add sugars/sodium and try to stay as close as you can.
  • CupcakeHarpy
    CupcakeHarpy Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    To be extremely picky, I am pretty sure that B-12 is only found "naturally" in meat because the animals eat dirt, where B-12 actually naturally occurs. Eating veggies used to provide B-12 until our food got "too" clean.

You mean that because we wash our veggies, it's lost? Just asking because I don't know. I know some people eat veggies right out of their garden. I never do that because I'm just used to bringing it in and washing them before eating. But even then... if we don't get it through our veggies, don't we then need it from somewhere?
  • FlaxMilk
    Options

You mean that because we wash our veggies, it's lost? Just asking because I don't know. I know some people eat veggies right out of their garden. I never do that because I'm just used to bringing it in and washing them before eating. But even then... if we don't get it through our veggies, don't we then need it from somewhere?

I think it's because of the veggie washing. I don't know quite enough to know whether it's a farming issue or a washing issue. Yes, we definitely do need to get it from somewhere. I'm a vegan, so I eat fortified.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options

Even people who eat veggies from their garden usually rub the dirt off first. But a grazing animal will usually just eat the dirt.
  • Jesse_Hunter
    Jesse_Hunter Posts: 162 Member
    Options

I have news for ya man, anyone can be healthy in their 20's. Guys that dominate their diet with meat are not the guys who are healthy and in the gym at 70-80 years old. They are the ones having heart bypass surgery and living in nursing homes.

I always laugh when people say "I just don't like fruits and vegetables". My mom uses the same excuse "I just don't like fruits!"

no, you just like eating crap more. Your body craves fruits and vegetables, whether you mentally like it or not.
  • gaylynn35
    gaylynn35 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    You have tried all of these, prepared in different ways, and you hate them all?

Red Apples
    Blood Oranges
    Cherries
    Cranberries
    Red Grapes
    Pink/Red Grapefruit
    Red Pears
    Pomegranates
    Raspberries
    Strawberries
    Watermelon Beets
    Red Peppers