Muscle Gain Trick

Options
2»

Replies

• jennajocummings
    Options
    OK, I went back and skimmed over that article and I am not expert, nor am I a body builder but it seems reasonable. Take me... I have 60 lbs or so of body fat to lose but I also lift heavy like a crazy chick. In the last 2 weeks I have lost about 10 lbs... Yet, I am stronger and lift heavier than I did two weeks ago... IE... I started doing 35's on my dumbell press. I can now do 45's. I could not have done that 2 weeks ago... So, common sense tells me I lost 10 lbs of fat, and my muscles are getting stronger.

Am I missing something here?
  • FireBrand80
    FireBrand80 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    OK, I went back and skimmed over that article and I am not expert, nor am I a body builder but it seems reasonable. Take me... I have 60 lbs or so of body fat to lose but I also lift heavy like a crazy chick. In the last 2 weeks I have lost about 10 lbs... Yet, I am stronger and lift heavier than I did two weeks ago... IE... I started doing 35's on my dumbell press. I can now do 45's. I could not have done that 2 weeks ago... So, common sense tells me I lost 10 lbs of fat, and my muscles are getting stronger.

Well, getting stronger doesn't necessarily meaning you're gaining muscle mass. There are also central nervous system adaptations that take place that allow you to lift more weight. Basically your CNS becomes more efficient at recruiting muscle fibers in a particular muscle group.

That aside, simultaneous muscle gain and fat loss is possible, but it's pretty much limited to the context of overweight people that are new to strength training. This is because of a combination of insulin resistance that comes with being overweight and the rapid muscle gains and improved nutrient partitioning that comes with being new to strength training.

As you get leaner and more experienced, you're no longer insulin resistant, and no longer making rapid muscle gains. You can't mobilize a significant enough amount of fat from your cells on a daily basis to provide for muscle gains. In fact, in a calorie deficit, with increased gluconeogenesis, you need to be careful to avoid a net protein loss.
  • Wenchilada
    Wenchilada Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I just burned 50 calories from rolling my eyes at "certified fat-burner." Who issues these certificates, and how much do I have to pay to get one?
  • jennajocummings
    Options

Well, getting stronger doesn't necessarily meaning you're gaining muscle mass. There are also central nervous system adaptations that take place that allow you to lift more weight. Basically your CNS becomes more efficient at recruiting muscle fibers in a particular muscle group.

That aside, simultaneous muscle gain and fat loss is possible, but it's pretty much limited to the context of overweight people that are new to strength training. This is because of a combination of insulin resistance that comes with being overweight and the rapid muscle gains and improved nutrient partitioning that comes with being new to strength training.

As you get leaner and more experienced, you're no longer insulin resistant, and no longer making rapid muscle gains. You can't mobilize a significant enough amount of fat from your cells on a daily basis to provide for muscle gains. In fact, in a calorie deficit, with increased gluconeogenesis, you need to be careful to avoid a net protein loss.

OK, so how do female bodybuilders go from off season 20% body fat, to 8% for a show. They aren't losing muscle mass... Are you saying they are just losing fat, but not gaining muscle, it's already there?
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Anyone have any input on the article?

Lean body mass is not the same as muscle mass...
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options

OK, so how do female bodybuilders go from off season 20% body fat, to 8% for a show. They aren't losing muscle mass... Are you saying they are just losing fat, but not gaining muscle, it's already there?

Even the Fierce Five women's olympic gymnastics team was between 15-18% body fat, I think a girl would die if she got that low.

*Please note that McKayla is not impressed with this article.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    The table in that article is from this study:

http://ccjm.org/content/69/11/849.full.pdf

which explicitly states that the greater weight loss is concluded to be from water rather than fat derived.

In addition in the original 2002 Volk et al study the low carb group was eating more protein in comparison to the control which we know is muscle sparing. In addition no description was given of the nature of physical activity engaged by the control group in comparison to the LC group if I recall correctly.

Concluding that it is somehow some unique way of achieving concurrent increase in muscle mass and lowering of BF% is not the best idea...
  • davidr730
    davidr730 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    The table in that article is from this study:

http://ccjm.org/content/69/11/849.full.pdf

which explicitly states that the greater weight loss is concluded to be from water rather than fat derived.

In addition in the original 2002 Volk et al study the low carb group was eating more protein in comparison to the control which we know is muscle sparing. In addition no description was given of the nature of physical activity engaged by the control group in comparison to the LC group if I recall correctly.

Concluding that it is somehow some unique way of achieving concurrent increase in muscle mass and lowering of BF% is not the best idea...

There you go using logic and science again to ruin all the fun. Next thing you know you'll be telling me not to buy that bridge in London.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    this is what i do.

low carb, high fat, atkins style ketogenic lifestyle.

lots of veggies, meats, some nuts and a little dairy.
  • jcr85
    jcr85 Posts: 229
    Options
    Eh... i didnt read that yet... But going by experience...

The only way to gain muscle is by Hard work, persistence, determination to achieve and dedication... there is no easy way except a needle. And even the needle needs work to get muscle gains.

Lol than why respond if you didnt read it... nothing special in this article cut with keto gain muscle is the general point in this article no new revelations here.
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    The article doesn't really make sense logically because, sure, you can use 500 cals of stored fat in order to maintain normal bodily function at a calorie deficit, but building muscle is going above and beyond normal bodily function. Your fat stores are not going to voluntarily sacrifice themselves to provide building blocks for new tissue that exceeds homeostasis. Unless there's something magical about ketosis, it doesn't make sense.
  • likemeinvisible
    Options
    I stopped eating entirely and now I look ripped as hell. True story.

like this guy?

2424_skinny_guy.jpg

He's bigger than I am, I wonder what's he taking.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    He's bigger than I am, I wonder what's he taking.
    Prob'ly dat dere CellTech!
  • likemeinvisible
    Options
    But seriously I'm losing some muscle on a deficit (what little that I have), and no babble on the internet can change that. And I'm always loaded with protein. You gotta eat to grow.
  • kiachu
    kiachu Posts: 409 Member
    Options

Yes most of that muscle mass is already there and we lose some during contest prep. But if your taking drugs that is also a different variable. They can help you retain more muscle while getting leaner
  • kiachu
    kiachu Posts: 409 Member
    Options

Even the Fierce Five women's olympic gymnastics team was between 15-18% body fat, I think a girl would die if she got that low.

*Please note that McKayla is not impressed with this article.

Many female BBs get that low. Optimal contest bodyfat is 10% and lower if possible. Female gymnast aren't trying to show muscle separations.