marathon training and back spasms

Options
Hi everyone! I am training for my first marathon (NYC, 11/4/12). I am really excited about it and have been trying very hard to stick to my training plan. However, I get back spasms on occasion during my long runs. Today, I was supposed to do 20 miles but at 17.25 my back started spasming. I walked a bit to try to work it out and then tried running again. I couldn't. My sister had to pick me up at mile 18.5 because I was afraid I would be in such bad spasm, I wouldn't be able to walk the rest of the day. I had that a few weeks ago trying to finish 16. I did 18 the last 2 weeks fine, no problems. I think it may be the shoes because I was wearing the same ones I wore the first time I had spasms. Does anyone have any advice for me on how to avoid this, besides getting new shoes? They are ordered already. It is really discouraging. Thanks for your help!

Replies

• teacherkatz
    teacherkatz Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    please help me
  • tmaxwell5
    tmaxwell5 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I don't have any scientific advice for you, just personal experience. I had major scoliosis surgery about 5 years ago so I have a very temperamental back and while I just started running ( just a 14K last weekend) I know what you are talking about. Usually when my back starts to hurt consistently after a good workout I will hit the pool. I spend about 30 min doing a slow swim where I concentrate on stretching my spine out under water and just working out the muscles without putting the pressure of gravity on them. Additionally, I also try and just massage the muscles of my back by laying flat on my face and just working the muscles with my hands to calm them down. It might be your running shoes which I would test by trying out your other pair on a day your back doesnt hurt or it might be your running posture, I found that I start to lean backward too much when I'm getting tired which puts a lot of pressure on my lower back. During my race as I felt my back start to hurt I slowed down to a jog and really concentrated on form and that seemed to help. Also, if you make sure to maintain good posture all the time that should help allieviate tension within your back, which might help during runs. This are all just my personal experiences so I'm sorry if they don't help! However, I totally understand how you feel and keep working towards it! Running a marathon is so phenomenal and good luck!
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    core strength training! I dunno if you incorporate this into your marathon training, but if you don't have a rock solid core (not necessarily a six pack, mind you, just very good strength), you got nothin! A solid core is the cornerstone of any sport!
  • astroteej81
    Options
    Agree with the above, first things to check are shoes and form. I injured my knee training for my first marathon two years ago and after it healed (lost a month of training) I went to a running store and did a quick gait analysis. Found out the shoes I had had given out support-wise and I also was wearing the wrong shoes (I have a slight under-pronation on my right leg).

Form always degrades when you get tired. What you can do is try to recognize early on when you may be spazzing and slow down and remember to keep your form upright.
  • fairc3jam
    fairc3jam Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I hadn't done a full but did run my first 1/2 last year. Do you run all the time? Are the spasms cuz you're going farther than you've gone before? If so it old just be your body needs to get used to the long run. It could be more than shoes but how your foot hits the road and it's jarring your back. I would see your doc.
  • veronica_0920
    veronica_0920 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hi there- I don't have any "specific" advice for you either, just some personal experience... only with my knees and marathon training- not back. I do find the two MOST helpful things to help alleviate (make more bearable) my knee pain is good sneakers and STRETCHING. I trained in 2010 for the Maine Marathon- Once I started getting into the heavy mileage I developed IT Band Syndrome, pain so bad in my knee I literally couldn't run. I saw a PT who diagnosed me, advised on sneakers and showed me stretches to do SEVERAL times/day. The stretching really does wonders- if done properly. I am currently training for The Maine Marathon again and sure enough once my miles started getting up there... the knee pain is back. And so.... I am stretching... a lot. 3X/ day and after runs. Maybe check online for back stretches? I'm not sure about spasms though?? Are you hydrated enough? What about nutrition? Do you take along any gel packs/ sport beans?? Just some thoughts :-) Well wishes to you!
  • teacherkatz
    teacherkatz Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your help. I will be incorportating more stretching into my routine. I am also speaking to a PT tomorrow. I am working on core strength, although I had slacked off a bit in the last week. Hopefully, it won't happen again.
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Do you run all the time? Are the spasms cuz you're going farther than you've gone before? If so it old just be your body needs to get used to the long run.
    That was my first thought too... Just the body reacting to a big mileage increase. If so it will happen less and less as you adapt. Be sure to take a moderate pace on long runs espceially when covering a new distance. When in doubt, choose a sloower pace.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    I get this,
    but I also have scoliosis.

Get yourself checked out by a doctor.