Treadmill or Outside?

Options
Which do you prefer when it comes to running? Why?
For me, i prefer outside. But both has up and downs. Outside i can run a distance in a faster time but on the treadmill i feel like i can run longer. It's weird.

Replies

• lesliev523
    lesliev523 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I love the arc trainer inside the most..... but I do run/walk outside quite a bit as well.

I know I burn more inside...
  • Huskeryogi
    Huskeryogi Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Outside. I get beyond bored on my dreadmill. 20 min on there is my max. I just try to hop on once-twice a week during the winter so I don't lose too much.

I will run outside until the sidewalks are too snowy or it's below 20 degrees.
  • RunDottyRun
    Options
    At the moment, I love the treadmill. I can zone out without running into pot holes ect ect (I've hurt myself many times that way! lol)

But I'll be moving soon, to somewhere a lot more runner friendly with footpaths everywhere so I reckon I'll prefer outside then :)
  • Skinny_Jeans_Soon
    Skinny_Jeans_Soon Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I prefer trails anyday over running on the treadmill or concrete.
  • DG_Allen
    DG_Allen Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Outside hands down. I get bored instantly inside on my elliptical.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I do both because of the timing of my workouts. And I have pros and cons about each one.

Overall, I prefer running outside simply because it's a more natural feeling. You aren't dialing in a pace and trying to run it, you're just going at what feel comfortable and your body can adjust up and down in speed without having to worry about hitting a button and knowing exactly what speed you're going to run at that moment.

Being able to run like that helps to keep from outpacing myself and needing to take an actual walking break since I'm just subconsciously making adjustments in pace as I go and don't even have to worry about it. I've run a half marathon without a single walking break, but often find it difficult to not need to slow way down or walk when going just a few miles on the treadmill because I've set myself to one pace and end up worn out faster. Yet, my outdoor average paces are faster than what I set my treadmill runs at.

That said, I only get one outdoor run a week because I work out after work during the week. So I hit the treadmill for any run days during the week. It's not bad, but it gets boring. And I hate the bounciness of the treadmills, they make my knees hurt.

I do stream movies or TV shows to my phone while I work out, so that helps some with the boredom, but nothing compares to the view when running outside. Though, I did get through the entire series of Phineas and Ferb while I trained for my first half marathon. lol
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I prefer to run outside because then I can go at my pace, not one set by the treadmill. However, for the long Montana winters... the treadmill is really nice to have! :happy:
  • mmk137
    mmk137 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    outside. 100% I love the sounds the air (as I live in the country loads of trails for me) just everything.

I hate the treadmill, i just find it so boring, and I can only run on their for short periods of time. I prefer running outside and seeing the world pass me by
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    my shin splints act up when i run outside, but not on a treadmill.
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    outside i have to pay just enough attention that i dont zone focus and not hear my app giving me alarms
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    outside i have to pay just enough attention that i dont zone focus and not hear my app giving me alarms
  • Huskeryogi
    Huskeryogi Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I do stream movies or TV shows to my phone while I work out, so that helps some with the boredom, but nothing compares to the view when running outside. Though, I did get through the entire series of Phineas and Ferb while I trained for my first half marathon. lol

I have a TV in front of my treadmill that never gets used I tried it twice and both times having it on just made me yearn for the couch. I associate TV series with curling up on the sofa and can't break the association.

I don't have cable hooked up to that TV so I'm hoping once I do I'll be able to run while watching sports. Watching sports I'm usually either jumping up and down (if it's a team I really care about) or multi-tasking (cleaning, etc) so I'm hoping it doesn't trigger that need to sit.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Both. Depends on the weather, time, my mood...if I want to lift... but all things being equal? outside.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I like to run outside but I notice I sustain myself better on the treadmill.
  • liss125
    liss125 Posts: 77
    Options
    Outside. I feel better afterwards, being out in the sunshine and all. Also, I work harder because people can see me :) My treadmill is in my basement so it's a little depressing. I find myself watching the clock the entire time.
  • avir8
    avir8 Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    I prefer to run outside, get a change of scenery, and have some alone time. Although the gym's treadmills have TVs, which come in handy when there's a b-ball game on, other than that, I feel you train better and get better conditioning from running outside doing hills, different terrains, and changing your speed at any given moment
  • Sixalicious
    Sixalicious Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Outside. I hate to hear people running on the treadmill so I just don't do it.
  • _canuckrunner_
    _canuckrunner_ Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Outside any day of the week! I sold my treadmill because I hated it so much. I run outside all year, I initially thought I'd hate it in the winter (I live in northern Canada) but it turns out I love it - nothing like running on freshly fallen snow!
  • klewlis
    klewlis Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    my shin splints act up when i run outside, but not on a treadmill.

that's just a conditioning thing. If you keep at it, it will get better. It's because your stride and motions are different outside (and much more natural). Also make sure that your calves aren't super tight... tight calves cause shin splints (stretch and strengthen as needed!).

As for the OP, I choose trail running! Way more fun than either roads or dreadmills, and a much better whole-body workout.
  • YoshiZelda
    YoshiZelda Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I prefer on the treadmill. I hate jiggling in public.