Treadmill or Outside?

Options

Replies

• birdieaz
    birdieaz Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Outside 100%, I just can't do the treadmill. Every minute seems to take 5x longer and no matter what distraction I've tried to use, its boring.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I will not run on concrete (injuries happen there) and I do not run on asphalt unless I'm in a race and that's part of the course. Nothing is more demotivating to me than running along a road or in a neighborhood. I don't need perverts catcalling me and I prefer natural scenery. I live near a nature preserve so I'm pretty lucky. I prefer dirt trails for long runs (5 plus miles) in good weather. I run on treadmills for short runs (under 5 miles) when it's too hot or the trails are closed for rain. I can't run for more than an hour on a treadmill or I will go insane from the boredom. I can run forever outside, though!
  • workshy000
    workshy000 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Treadmill because I tend to trip on pavement and I like having temperature control. I think outside would be more interesting and challenging but I'm not fit enough. I don't get bored when I have my mp3 player with me, I'd probably not even get on it without music to spur me on.
  • volamena
    volamena Posts: 30
    Options
    I prefer running outside! you've got fresh air and scenery and there's no need for a membership to an expensive gym...
  • erin8010
    Options
    Good morning!

Out door running is good as you are always going up and down hills (even if they are small), so you will be working more of the leg and bottom muscles.
    I also think you run at a pace more suited to you and are not restricted or confused by the machines speeds.

If you're on a treadmill I would recommend running on a minimum 0.5 incline as outdoors is not flat.

I love running outside but sometimes you have to look at your lifestyle, I have just bought a Treadmill as I have 3 children and struggle to get out when my partner works, I want to run in the Leics half marathon in Oct and If I don't get the training in it will be a struggle!!

That's a goal I want to keep!
  • jamifaith
    Options
    ^i agree that lifestyle plays a huge part. When i first discovered my love-hate relationship with running it was when i started running outdoors. it was the first time that i realized that i CAN run more than 1-2 miles at a time. But i discovered this because I would run my path (which was two miles) get to the end of it and want to quit, but crap at that point im 2 miles away from home and I can't just quit, i actually have to run home.
    Currently, I live in a place where I honestly have no idea where to even go running outside. I'd have to walk through the city or take a subway to get to a nice scenic place to run, and that just doesn't sound nice at all. Hubby is going to try and help me find somewhere to run down by the river, but the river is a good 10 minute drive away, and the gym is only a 2 minute walk away, so I stick to the treadmill. :)
  • ninpiggy
    ninpiggy Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I'm still a little nervous about running in public. When I run outside it is usually at night due to my work schedule and because I don't want to run in public, but running alone at night in the city is a bit dangerous so I mostly stick to running on a treadmill. If my fiance comes with me, I enjoy running outside. I recently found a running trail that I'm pretty excited about but again, I don't want to run it alone.
  • blackcoffeeandcherrypie
    Options
    Treadmill! I have never been able to run outside, even as a child. I would get leg pains and have to stop. Buying a treadmill and using it at home has taught me to pace myself and that I can go for much longer distances and times than I thought. I can gasp and sweat in private and no one will be looking at me or laughing. Plus it's much easier on my dodgy ankles. I'm sure running outside is lovely but for the less fit, I think treadmill is easier. I don't find it boring, I really enjoy it and I have my music to enjoy :-)
  • chicbuc
    chicbuc Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I enjoy running outside, but I don't have anywhere to run without driving somewhere. I run in the morning, and I'm too scared to run down my rural roads with no street lights in the dark. I got out of the habit of running because of that and the fact that I was having a hard time making myself stop at the gym on the way home from work. My husband just bought me a cheap treadmill yesterday, and I'm really excited about getting back to running! Today was a lifting day, so I used it to warm up and cool down, but tomorrow will be a good run! I'm so excited I might even jump on it for a quick run in an hour or so...lol.

So, the answer to your questions is outside if feasible, but treadmill works just fine.
  • SkinnyChemicals
    Options
    Inside, because you can't watch Maury when outside.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Both. I usually stay outside dependent upon weather and goals. Once the weather drops below 50, I'm inside.

I do find I can push harder on the treadmill though, because it doesn't let you slow down without actually turning it down.
  • jessie0215
    Options
    I prefer outside. I feel that way because I get bored on the trreadmill.
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,975 Member
    Options
    Outside! I can run a slow 2 miles outside but inside I seem to either start to cramp up or loose interest shortly after getting on the treadmill.
  • innocenceportrayed
    innocenceportrayed Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    From Florida
    So in the spring/summer, I prefer treadmill, in the fall/winter I prefer outside. (=
  • lunglady
    lunglady Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Both.
  • _Sally_
    _Sally_ Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I don't like running in bad weather, so treadmill for those days.

** It's important to remember that you should set the incline on a treadmill to at least 1 % to make it more equivalent to running outside (on flat ground). On 0% incline, the belt is helping you too much. **
  • jerbear1962
    jerbear1962 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    If I had the space for a treadmill I'd jump on one in a minute..so that only leaves me the option of being outside...enjoyable but scary in my neighborhood.
  • V3ggieL0vinGinger
    Options
    Outside! If I run on the treadmill, I can maybe last for 15 minutes, but I get so bored and quit. When I run outside, I can run for hours! So much better! But I guess I gotta get used to the treadmill when winter comes :(
  • carrietehbear
    carrietehbear Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Treadmill. I feel safer inside. Plus, I figure nobody in the gym is paying attention to how goofy I look bc they are all focusing on their own workouts.
  • damiengarber
    Options
    Seems like if I run on anything other than a dirt trail I end up getting extremely sore if I run two days in a row. On dirt I can easily do 3 miles several times a week. On a treadmill or concrete that's just not happening.