Stopped smoking, started living

Options
2»

Replies

• ndblades
    ndblades Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    GREAT FOR YOU! I have been around many people who have quit, and would liken the addiction to my (former) food addiction!

Running at your age is awesome! I did a triathalon last year - and of course the ages are written on your calf... you wouldn't beleive how many 50+ were on very nice fit Calves! I was even passed in the biking portion by a lady with 72 on her leg! And she wasn't the only one!

Men just don't always understand our motives or ambitions, that is ok, you do this for YOU anyway - you'll find a ton of us to support you here on MFP!
  • zigeuner62
    Options
    Congratulations on quitting and good luck with your running. I quit 22 years ago after a three pack a day habit and it was one of the best things I've done. Hubby finally quit Jan 1st this year. Now it's time to get healthy. I wish you much success.
  • ceefin
    ceefin Posts: 16
    Options
    Just wanted to say thanks to all who have posted support here, it's fantastic and will keep me motivated for weeks to come :) xxx
  • Hodgie12345
    Hodgie12345 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Hi All - I stopped smoking and drinkng on 21st December 2011 after a staff party in which I nearly died from the hangover ! I dealt with the smoking first and now am sorting the weight out. All I can say is that for me I have been lucky - the stopping smoking was easy; I had to stop cofffee and booze too as they were triggers but it is the best thing I have done. I never crave cigarettes and I actually never think about smoking. My friendly advice would be to stop cold-turkey - you need the mental resolve to say 'no' and not a patch or a stick of gum. Good luck x
  • Amryfal
    Amryfal Posts: 225
    Options
    congrats! i'm working on quitting right now. i've quit several times before, but always started back up, because i never really *wanted* to quit. i still considered myself a smoker.

this week, my uncle lost his battle with lung cancer. it just...clicked in my head. i don't want to be a smoker any more. not just that i want to quit, but that i really, really don't want to smoke. that's making all the difference. i can't go cold-turkey - i'm all in favor of whatever aids it takes.

this site is great for being aware of your eating habits, too. it's the only thing that has ever made a difference for me, not only in shedding the pounds, but changing my lifestyle and habits.

good luck!