Help!!!! Why am I plateauing right now!!!

Options
2»

Replies

• freya33
    freya33 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    i am also on a plateau and this is when I usually give up. I stupidly worked out that if I lost 1.5 lbs a week then I would be X lbs by a big event mid Sept. I had not factored in a plateau and now realise that I will not meet the weight I hoped to be. I am finding it difficult and half of me thinks "Oh blow it have a pizza" this is what has happened each previous time.
    I am finding this site so supportive and there is usually someone who is going through or has been through my situation. I know I just have to keep going; I know my shape is chnging and my flab feels flabbier not such solid fat so hopefully it will go but it is just going to take longer.
  • gemmalianne84
    Options
    Remember that muscle is heavier than fat so if you are working out more that might be why you gain. Try switching your foods. Eat differently. Try 5 small meals a day instead of 3 big ones. You should never go hungry and it will help your metabolism.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Plateaus* happen. In the process of losing my weight I had 4 significant plateaus lasting from 2-4 weeks and they made me stark raving nuts. But typically if you are on plan they are just an adjustment time. Folks are skeptical until they pay attention to this, but I actually lost more inches when I was stalled than when I was losing.

Plateaus will break when they're ready. Sometimes changing anything (up calories, down calories, start working out, stop working out) will seem to trigger the break, but honestly keeping to plan is the best strategy.

*technically, what you're experiencing isn't a stall or plateau. It doesn't count unless you go a month without losing pounds or inches - that's a real plateau. But that doesn't make what you're experiencing any less frustrating.

Best strategy to handle a plateau: Step away from the scale for a few weeks. I had hubs hide mine.

Exactly.

Have you adjusted your calorie intake since you lost the initial weight?

So much terrible advice in this thread "eat more meals to speed your metabolism" " your body has become immune to what you are eating". Sorry, but that's rubbish.
  • simonlcube
    simonlcube Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I stayed the same for 2 weeks, yesterday i ate out with my kids and had mcdonalds, it upset me all night but in total i consumed all day 1680, and this morning whoosh im another 4lbs down, a big lesson to me i obvs wasnt eating enough.

You are confusing a correlation with a causation. It is not necessarily the case that it was eating at McDonald's / eating more that caused the plateau to break.