How much do you pay for your gym?

Options
I want to join a gym. Specifically I want to join a gym that has a lot of classes including Zumba. I have a gym in my apartment building so I don't need fancy machines although I would probably use them while waiting for he classess to begin. Does anyone ele do thiis? What are you willing to pay per month for a gym membership?

Replies

• KALMdown
    KALMdown Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I would say depending on where you live, the YMCA or YWCA would be good, or a county Rec Center. I am fortunate enough to live on base and we have free access to the gym. Some classes and trainers are pay as you go.

If money is not an option, look at 24 or Bally or something similar.
  • Rese5ft10in
    Rese5ft10in Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I belong to the Krock Center, They have several facilities around the country. In my neck of the woods I pay $6 a month or $60 a year in advance. They have more than just a gym.

They say you have to pay for personal trainers, but there are always 2 trainers at the gym at all times, and they love giving out advice on what routine is best for you, food etc. They also have classes like zumba, kettle bell etc,

I like my gym. I agree with the poster that said a community center or rec center would be worth looking into. Sounds like your apartment community has all you need. A few weights, treadmill and classes sounds perfect!

Id also like to add, be careful with signing a gym contract. I could tell you a horror story of what I went through with a 'major chain' gym. Read that contract and make sure all the BLANK SPACES are filled in BEFORE you sign it. I wont go into a long winded story, but lets just put it this way...never again will I sign a contract for something as simple as a gym membership...never again!!

Good luck!
  • XaviAvant
    XaviAvant Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I pay $25 a month for just the Gym membership at Core Fitness. They have a ton of classes including zumba for a $40 a month membership. And yea, even though they have personal trainers that you can buy sessions with, we always have at least 2 in the gym at all times. Heck I even get free sessions with one of them every once in awhile.
  • veggiebound
    veggiebound Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    In my neck of the woods I pay $6 a month or $60 a year in advance.

Wow, gym's in the UK are much more expensive! More like $60 per month. No wonder I'm overweight
  • beonehotnurseagain
    Options
    They are more expensive here in NC too. Our local gym (the only one in town) is $78 a month, and if i want daycare (with a 4yo i will need it) it will be $83!! I don't think i will be joining anytime soon :(
  • moonowl23
    moonowl23 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    5 Euro a week, but I have no classes, just machines...
  • stangma
    stangma Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    We have several Y's & assorted gyms in our area - but I chose Curves - love the atmosphere (all women) & only $40/mo. They have Zumba available & also diet & motivation.
  • starcyndycyn
    Options
    I belong to LA Fitness and pay 32.00 a month, after the tax is added on. It's totally worth it. They have tons of classes (I take Aquafit, Mat Pilates, and Body Works plus Abs), tons of equipment, and they are very friendly. I don't have kids, but they also have daycare for people's kids. It's basically a dollar a day, and I think it's a good bargain.
  • T34418l3angel
    T34418l3angel Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I'm married to a military man so I go to the one on base for free, they do have zumba classes as well as alot of other classes. Sooooo my suggestion is become friends with someone in the military and go with them the gym! lol.
  • MSimm62385
    MSimm62385 Posts: 227
    Options
    Got locked into LA Fitness at $20 a month. Pretty sweet deal for access to a pool, hot tub, and free workout classes.
  • Cal28
    Cal28 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    $14 a week in Aus (countryside)
  • connieannw
    connieannw Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I shopped around for a pay as you go place. Found one less than half a mile from my house. Zumba is $10 per class. They also offer yoga and kick fit. What I liked was first class was free to try. Then I worked with the owner and told him my plans for four classes per week. Paid up up front $82.50 for the month which is just over $5 per class so I'm totally winning here. Find a small place, make a plan with the owner. They would rather have your repeat business over a long period of time.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    $0 a week cos I work there ;)
    I used to pay $15 per week though
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I go to one of the pricier gyms in my area, it is about $60/month. They have Zumba and other things. If you just want Zumba, you might want to see if there are any dance studios in your area that offer it, they would be class focused but should be cheaper.

As far as what I'm willing to pay, it depends but my budget was based on my former Crossfit membership which was $200/month.
  • aljeca
    aljeca Posts: 83
    Options
    Goodlife here in Ottawa is something like 28.66 every 2 weeks for a regular priced membership (inc all cardio equipment and most classes), I had a great deal at 38.40 a month (had to cancel cuz I'm going back to school... luckily I have a free gym in my apt building!)
  • dawndw
    dawndw Posts: 203
    Options
    I do Curves and pay $39 a month, maybe a little pricey I don't know but I can go at 7:30am and then it does not interfere with my work...and my daily swimming is free since the pool is on our place :-)
  • smileitmakespeoplewonder
    Options
    If you have a 24 hour fitness and a Costco in your area, I would check with Costco to see if they have the 2 year Pre-Paid membership to 24 hour fitness.

I paid $349.99 for a 2 year Sport Club Membership, which averages out to about $15.00 per month. It may be cheaper in your area if it's available...I'm in Los Angeles, so everything is expensive here.
  • wxchaser
    wxchaser Posts: 178
    Options
    My $20 per month X-Sport membership includes classes, and one of them is Zumba.
  • tairaven
    tairaven Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Years ago I belonged to Bally's which for a "lifetime" (which was NOT so lifetime as you would expect) was $60 a month PLUS training and such... Not to mention the contract and the down-payment.....Never again.

Now I more recently joined Planet Fitness for $19.99/mo AND it includes all the training (just went the other day!). Plus, you can cancel whenever you want.

Seems like there are so many more options (and prices have dropped drastically) than there were 10 years ago.
  • J3timez
    J3timez Posts: 35
    Options
    I work out at Powerhouse Gym and it depends on the time you sign up, they have specials and they also give discounts for Hospital workers and what not. Unfortunately I don't get any of those so i pay about $30/month.