Salad Ideas?

Options
2»

Replies

• hailzp
    hailzp Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    005.jpg

Spinach, chick peas, tomatos, cucumber, balsamic, pumpkin seeds, flax and chia seeds, sunflower seeds, apple and awesomeness. :)
  • redfroggie
    redfroggie Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I make a base salad: Mixed greens, tomatoes, cucumber, bell pepper, red onion and salad crisp corn.
    I then mix in stuff during the week to keep it interesting, like grilled chicken, mandarin orange segments,
    seed mix (sesame, pumkin) tuna and reduced fat grilled halloumi and grilled salmon. Simples!
  • floridaboater
    floridaboater Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I love big salads as I don't like sandwiches. Sometimes I go to restaurant websites and get ideas from their salads but some of my favorites are:
    -romaine, cherry tomatoes, cukes, onion, steak and blue cheese with ranch or vinegrette
    -romaine, chicken, onions, tomatoes, cukes, feta cheese and Greek dressing
    -romaine, avocado, onion, tomatoes, lean ground beef, cheddar cheese and ranch
    -romaine, avocado, onion, tomatoes, cukes, turkey bacon, grilled shrimp, feta and fav dressing

I always add protein...keeps me fuller.

Thanks for posting this!
  • lisamerrison
    lisamerrison Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    keeping this post for laterz xx
  • Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I make a base salad: Mixed greens, tomatoes, cucumber, bell pepper, red onion and salad crisp corn.
    I then mix in stuff during the week to keep it interesting, like grilled chicken, mandarin orange segments,
    seed mix (sesame, pumkin) tuna and reduced fat grilled halloumi and grilled salmon. Simples!

There is also the canned baby corn (usually used in oriental food).
  • Ange03063
    Ange03063 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I just found this link from prevention.com today. It has recipes for 12 different salads that all look yummy!

http://www.prevention.com/food/healthy-eating-tips/12-hunger-fighting-power-salads/southwestern-grilled-chicken-salad
  • astrylian
    astrylian Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I usually ALWAYS have cucumber/tomato in my salad. Usually a light salad dressing - Italian or Sesame Ginger.

I also like adding about 6 baby carrots for crunch, slivered almonds, tuna/salmon for protein value, sometimes soy chorizo, and something sweet like dried cranberries or mandarin oranges.
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I really love a classic chef salad
  • Lauran845
    Lauran845 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I love buffalo chicken salads. I use the canned chicken (in the grocery store next to the tuna) and mix in a couple teaspoons of buffalo wing sauce (the one I use is about 5 calories a serving) and come lunch time I warm the chicken, throw it over some lettuce (any kind will work) and if I am feeling generous with my calories I will add a serving or two of ranch dressing. I LOVE IT!!

Another non-salad Salad that I like is a whole bag of broccoli slaw (in the produce section) sauteed with a TON of black pepper and about two tbsp. of butter until soft. OMG!! It is very similar to the inside of an egg roll, minus the greasy, deep fried shell and it actually makes a very large serving for only 200 calories. You can probably substitute the butter for olive oil or a small amount of stock, but I eat pretty low fat in general so I consider that negligible. If you really want to splurge, throw some shredded cheddar on top and it is AMAZING!!! Like a super gourment cheese and broccoli.
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I mix bbq sauce and light ranch to make dressing for grilled chicken salad. I just put on the chicken and the dressing (measured out of course) then depending on my calorie goal for the day, sometimes add cheese or other yummies!
  • kornmaiden
    kornmaiden Posts: 109
    Options
    mixed greens, sliced pears, feta cheese and strawberries with light raspberry viniagrette
  • dellcmays
    dellcmays Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    :wink: Thanks, your post was :wink: :wink: very helpful info for changing things up.
  • sweetdianachka
    sweetdianachka Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I bring leftover salad for lunch at work pretty often, so I keep the spray dressing (italian and balsamic are the only two choices at my grocery store but in the states there are tons or other flavors like ranch and honey mustard) shredded cheese, and packages of lunch meat in my fridge at work. 10 sprays of dressing is 10 calories, 1/4 cup of cheese is about 100, and 2 or 3 slices of turkey or ham cut up with scissors (i live in Korea where they use scissors for chopping up food instead of knives) is maybe 30 cals? So altogether with all the veggies (lettuce, onion, tomatoes, cucumbers) lunch is under 300 cals.

If its not enough protein to keep you filled, you can always add a hard boiled egg (they sell them next door to my work for 50 cents, so sometimes its a great addition, although much cheaper if you just make them yourself!)
  • strivingfor130
    strivingfor130 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Love these ideas!