boiled egg food hygiene question

Options
Would boiling eggs, then returning them to their cardboard box with other uncooked eggs for fridge storage, then in the morning putting them in a lunchbox with toast for lunchtime peeling+consumption, potentially end in a case of the slops? I am intent on getting to the bottom (ha ha) of this for my "friend" who has since wednesday had this problem when I.. err, I mean they changed the order of their meals, as reflected in my food diary.

Replies

• booyainyoface
    booyainyoface Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    i do this all the time and havent had any problems.
  • MissTomGettingThin
    MissTomGettingThin Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Same here. I do it with no problem.
  • keithmustloseweight
    keithmustloseweight Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Okay, thanks. The only other culprit is oatmeal with greek yoghurt and honey which I can't imagine it is. Maybe I just have a bug at the moment.
  • CupcakeHarpy
    CupcakeHarpy Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    They should be fine. We did that all the time around easter. My mom would hard boil eggs and we'd dye them. Then they go back in the fridge until they were made into something tasty. nothing wasted.
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I boil eggs in advance, and eat them the next day for breakfast - it saves time, and simplifies my morning routine. Eggs last several days after you've boiled them. Personally I wouldn't put them back into the box with the raw eggs because I'd worry about getting them mixed up and accidentally opening a raw egg for my breakfast! I don't even refrigerate them - I just leave them in a pot of cold water.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    The cooked egg isn't the problem. Could be the egg carton though. If I re-use the styrofoam egg carton I rinse it with bleach water first. I don't re-use the cardboard ones. All it takes is one broken raw egg to drip on or in the carton, or one not well washed egg to potentially contaminate the rest. The egg shell is porous and bacteria can infect the egg (raw or cooked), that is the reason they frown on eatting undercooked eggs. Some restaurants won't serve "sunny side up" eggs due to potential lawsuits. That is also why they say not to eat raw cookie dough.....raw eggs in the mix. Best bet is to put the boiled eggs in a different container.
  • keithmustloseweight
    keithmustloseweight Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I'm actually starting to think it's a problem with the porridge/oatmeal and greek yoghurt but I don't really see how as I've eaten that type of food before (though not this brand of oatmeal)