Do you log your strength training?

Options
I'm just curious if you go through the hassle of logging all the strength training that you do?

I do not log it but was wondering if I should start logging it.

Replies

• neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    i log in under cardio/
  • y0mbo
    y0mbo Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I wear a heart rate monitor and track it under cardio.

I keep track of reps and weights on paper so I can see what I'm doing next time. I don't track them here.
  • Hollywood1214
    Options
    I was unaware you could track strength training under cardio. Thanks for the info :-)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I log it in the cardio section, but I round it up a bit to 200 calories per hour, and if I'm particularly hungry, I'll eat more.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    nah. I find it more complicated to log exercise. I just pick a calorie goal and stick to it on my workout days and my non-workout days.
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I don't log any exercise on MFP because it's often impossible to find what I'm doing and I don't have anything to accurately determine calorie burn. But I keep track of everything I do in a OneNote notebook (a word processor or spreadsheet would work just as well) and I mark my workouts on Google Calendar (I just set it as a Task with that day as the due date and check it off) to help me visualize and get in the right number per week. This way, I log exactly what I'm doing rather than trying to find something that sounds close, and it's just a lot easier/less time consuming.

I'd absolutely recommend keeping some kind of log, even if it's not on here. A month or two from now, you're going to have a tough time remembering how much you've progressed, which seems pretty important for strength training (for me, anyway).
  • Jynus
    Jynus Posts: 519 Member
    Options

I keep track of reps and weights on paper so I can see what I'm doing next time. I don't track them here.
    HRM's are unable to track calorie burn from resistance training.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options

HRM's are unable to track calorie burn from resistance training.

Yep. But, you might as well just bang your head against a wall.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I always log my strength training in order to monitor my progress. And I also add a note if I modify an exercise. I like going back through and seeing my improvements. :bigsmile:
  • frando
    frando Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I don't as I honestly don't know the names of the machines!
  • jawheb
    jawheb Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I log all strength training workouts. It helps to keep track of which ones you are doing so you can switch up when it's time to change your workout. I have a hard enough time remembering day to day stuff. Kids, husband pets, blah blah blah..,
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options

exactly this ^^
  • babyblake11
    babyblake11 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    i make a guess of my percieved effort and heart rate and use a calculator online to double check, its not precise by any means but i find the one on here underestimates.
  • pr33mi3mom
    pr33mi3mom Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I at least write it down every day. Otherwise I won't have any way of knowing if I'm progressing and at what rate.
  • JamesBurkes
    JamesBurkes Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I don't track reps and weights etc - I can generally remember those.

I do log it under cardio, though.

I don't use the HRM for the reasons described above, but given that I usually do heavy, circuit training-style weights I suspect that MFP's estimates of 200 calories or similar per hour are very much under the actual burn. But as I can't be sure I live with that - I'd rather underestimate than over-estimate....but I do want to log something!