treadmil or elliptical?

Options
2»

Replies

• littlelaura
    littlelaura Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    I love my precor elliptical, I cant get my heart rate up on a treadmill as I cant run, but I can get there with the elliptical and its no impact on my joints.
  • leslielrd12
    leslielrd12 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Go see if a gym will give you a free two week membership and try out both. Yes, it's bad - you won't really get the membership (unless you fall in love with the gym) but you'd have access to both and would see which you like best. You may even discover you prefer a third option!

^^^ This. Because if I had the space I would absolutely buy a spinning bike for my home.You learn a couple of different routines from a spinning class or can learn how to make your own. Much less boring compared to the treadmill or elliptical and is a kicka** work out.
  • Thena81
    Thena81 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    we have both and i can tell ya that before i had my Polar i thought the elliptical was better but i burn more cals on the treadmill in the same amount of time so i gave up the ellip for the treader plus i like to run here and there too. def treadmill!!
  • amethysts269
    amethysts269 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I prefer the treadmill... I have a knee injury and using the eliptical stirs it up and can put me out of action for a week at a time... much prefer the treadmill.

if you have access to either, I would give them both a good go and see how you feel...
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    What do you live in? Apartment? Don't buy a treadmill!!! lol, Otherwise have at it.

Or invest that money into a epic wardrobe of work out stuffs to go running outside or a year gym membership!
  • MFPBrandy
    MFPBrandy Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Elliptical. Low-impact (a must for my bulging disks), and WAY quieter than a treadmill (a must if I want my sleeping toddler to stay sleeping). BTW, they come a lot cheaper without the electronic bells & whistles--I got mine for $200 (new), and you can find them used for less.
    You can always go running outside, but you need a machine (or good cross-country skiing conditions & gear) for the elliptical movement.
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    My neighbor downstairs would prefer I pick an Elliptical.

Personally, I wouldn't get either. I find running outside more enjoyable. Even in the rain or snow.
  • kclarkss
    kclarkss Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Elliptical.

I started exercising again and started on treadmill at a walking pace (too hot outside). After a week I was able to run on the treadmill....my knee went out. Had to hop on one leg until I could get the machine to stop.

Next workout after my knee felt better, I went to the elliptical. My knee has no pain and my back problem has gotten much better.

I very good workout, you can feel like you are climbing mountains to running or a causal walk. You can hold on or let go. Some ellipticals have where you can back pedal and others do not. If I were to buy one and money wasn't an issue, I would prefer one that can both go forwards and backwards.
  • ncotanche
    Options
    I had knee surgery a few years ago. An elliptical is so much easier on my injured knee there is no other way to go. However, I prefer to go the dance studio move my hips over any stationary cardio.
  • blumuffin46
    Options
    Elliptical, definitely! Used to love the treadmill but not since developing knee problems. The elliptical is so much more kinder and gives me an awesome workout, just the same. You can choose to do the arms thingy or not, but it does help you get your heart rate up faster.
  • trinitrate
    trinitrate Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Bike
  • jawheb
    jawheb Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I have an elliptical but prefer outside. My knees keep me from doing it everyday. I am trying to run outside once a week and the rest on my machine.
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Treadmill because you'll burn way more calories, get a better work out, increase your stamina more and get a more accurate calorie count.
    The elliptical doesn't give you nearly as good of a work out it glossily over-estimates your calories. However, it is a good lower intensity/impact exercise for people with knee/hip/back problems...

The other thing is that you can get a better work out running outside then you can on a treadmill. But an elliptical gives you a different kind of work out. So maybe if I was buying something I'd buy a elliptical? But as someone who lives in Boston where it snows for 6 months out of the year I might for for a treadmill so I can continue to train inside. It honestly depends on circumstances!

I disagree. You get what you put into it. If im running my tail off on the elliptical, im sweating and im breathing hard, im burning calories.

I guess it does depend. I've got an HRM and I can never get my heart rate up to the same level for as long as I can on the elliptical as I do on the treadmill but I guess you're right and it all comes down to preference. I guess i just meant that the calories displayed on those types of machine tend to really really over-estimate.
  • NewInnerStrength
    NewInnerStrength Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend a Bowflex Treadclimber - best of both worlds!! Easy on the joints when in 'climbing' mode, and treads can be locked down to be a treadmill...only thing I find with this machine is that when using as a treadmill, I wish the treads were slightly longer for running.

No matter which you use, you have to enjoy it or you won't use it! =)
  • Mini_Medic
    Mini_Medic Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    It depends on what stage of losing you are in. If you are very overweight or have knee/back problems, I would suggest you try the elliptical first because if you get a good one it takes your age, weight, length of workout and heartrate and adjusts the difficulty accordingly whether you are doing a high intensity cardio workout or a lower intensity but consistant fat burn cardio workout. The ellipticals are good for working your way up from straight walking to jogging/long distance running. 30lbs ago for me I was using the elliptical for 30mins every day and was burning 300 cal. Now since I'm 30lbs lighter and have a lot more energy/less knee pain and stress I do 45mins on the elliptical and run on the treadmill for 20mins almost every day. I found when I was very out of shape my heartrate spiked to 150 bpm quickly with cardio, and with it that high you are only training your heart for cardio endurance not weight loss/muscle toning. The elliptical adjusts to an easier setting till my heartrate comes back down to 130 where I get optimum fat burn. My lower body builds strong but thick muscle on a treadmill but the elliptical slimmed/toned my legs, butt, abs very quickly because it does a more slow and steady workout, rather than a high speed low drag run on the treadmill. I use both but I would def suggest elliptical for home use!
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    treadmil, because using ellipticals doesnt make the body use stabilizer muscles in your core and the rest of your body because you are using hands and feet and very little balance at all.. same goes for if you use the treadmil while hanging on to the bars or a stairmaster while leaning on the rails.
  • ashleen7
    ashleen7 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Elliptical. It's easier on a previous knee injury that I have and seem to do better on the elliptical. When it comes to running, I prefer to run outside.
    ^This^
  • Rachelle_Ohh
    Rachelle_Ohh Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Well, I bought a Nordic Track elliptical with a ramp that raises to the height that would also be perfect for stair climbing. It also has iFit which is awesome!

Treadmills are boring, like running in place. Plus, it's easier on the knees if you've had problems in the past.
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I personally would get an elliptical.
    The elliptical burns more calories (for me).
    The treadmill used to hurt my knees and ankles when I was heavier (not so much anymore)
    The treadmill is boring.
  • sabolfitwife
    sabolfitwife Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I had a treadmill for years and never used it! It was so hard for me, I felt like I was always concentrating on not running right off the back of the beast. I currently have an elliptical that doubles as a bike (it just has a seat on it) on layaway at Kmart. I can't wait to pick it up, only 2 more weeks!! So yes, obviously I choose elliptical. The treadmill was boring for me. If I want to run I'll just go outside.