Exercising with a Toddler?

Options
I was wondering if anyone knew of some good exercises to do with a toddler?

Replies

• auntbliz
    auntbliz Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Well, at home you can watch some kids exercise movies, I've seen them at my library before. I used to walk in the mornings in the mall pushing the stroller before most of the stores open.
  • Innerautumn
    Innerautumn Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    My two year old loves suicide runs! We often argue over weights so I had to get her some one-pounders of her own. She is always eager to exercise but mostly just gets in my way so I have to fit workouts in after she goes to bed at night. If you are looking for active play to do together, try tag. My daughter would play tag for hours if I had the lung capacity for it! We also love dancing to one of those wii games (I also have a teenager!) and playing freeze dance.
  • HeatherNicoleMomOf4
    Options
    any. when im working out my kids they will try to do it with me its so cute or going on walks. and like previous poster said try the library
  • mrsRhughes
    mrsRhughes Posts: 122
    Options
    I love walking to the park in our development with the kids! (My daughter is 7, my son is 2). I either pull them both in the wagon (which is challenging lol) or my daughter rides her scooter and I run along with my son in the jogging stroller. When we get there, I let them run around and I do a "mini" park exercise! Step-ups on the benches, tricep dips on the benches, jumping jacks, high knees/butt kicks, jumping lunges. I use the parking spaces as "lanes" and tell them they have to stay in their "lane" as we race across to the other side (so I sprint and they just laugh and try to stay in a straight line! lol). It's really fun and a great way to mix up my regular high-cardio routines!
  • Shayztar
    Shayztar Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Do you mean exercises YOU can do while caring for a toddler? Or exercises to do that would include exercising your toddler?

I am going to assume you mean for you, because my toddlers get enough exercise just existing! LOL

I walk. Walk walk walk. And walk as fast as your stroller will let you! :)

Some people are able to do the 30 Day Shred with their toddler looking on. Some people say their toddler even gets involved!

Also, you can just get outside in a giant field with your toddler and both of u run around like maniacs. Because increasing your heart rate by any means possible is the goal!
  • tvanhooser
    tvanhooser Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I just posted this idea on another thread the other day for a lady with the same problem but I will copy my idea here for your benefit:

You could try turning it into a game that you can do together. I recently did something like for my 10 year old daughter who needs to stop gaining weight until her height catches up with her! I picked a show she likes to watch that they have on Netflix instant play that has lots of catch phrases and off repeated lines and made her a chart that associated each one with a particular exercise. So for instance every time the theme song plays she does 10 jumping jacks. For another line she has to jump rope 20 times and so on. In between times the rule is she has to keep moving and not sit down. I know a two-year old can't read yet but you could make the list for yourself and narrate it for him as you go along. Say if he likes "Blue's Clues" for instance, every time Joe finds a clue you could do windmills or squat punches or jumping jacks. Anything you like....that way you are both exercising and he is getting a good example from a young age while still spending quality time with mommy....all of which are invaluable investments of time!

In general, just make it fun and something he/she can be a part of whenever possible. For grown up stuff, early morning before he gets up, nap time or trade play dates with other moms for some alone time or there's always evening after his/her bedtime if you have the energy then -- which I don't!! :o) But mostly the more you can include your child in exercising, the healthier he/she will be and the more lifetime good habits he/she will have locked in at foundation level! Good luck! :o)
  • AJ_Pete
    AJ_Pete Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Walking is the best bet. My son and I do about 4-5 miles per day depending upon the weather and him (he's two). Walking around your local zoo is great as well. Also we have dance parties and "play" just dance together. I also "lift" him and he LOVES it.
  • AlayshaJ
    AlayshaJ Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    When Im bored I put my daughter over my shoulders and do squats and military press.

Im guessing thats not what you meant though.
  • StaceyMayfonz
    StaceyMayfonz Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I just posted this idea on another thread the other day for a lady with the same problem but I will copy my idea here for your benefit:

You could try turning it into a game that you can do together. I recently did something like for my 10 year old daughter who needs to stop gaining weight until her height catches up with her! I picked a show she likes to watch that they have on Netflix instant play that has lots of catch phrases and off repeated lines and made her a chart that associated each one with a particular exercise. So for instance every time the theme song plays she does 10 jumping jacks. For another line she has to jump rope 20 times and so on. In between times the rule is she has to keep moving and not sit down. I know a two-year old can't read yet but you could make the list for yourself and narrate it for him as you go along. Say if he likes "Blue's Clues" for instance, every time Joe finds a clue you could do windmills or squat punches or jumping jacks. Anything you like....that way you are both exercising and he is getting a good example from a young age while still spending quality time with mommy....all of which are invaluable investments of time!

In general, just make it fun and something he/she can be a part of whenever possible. For grown up stuff, early morning before he gets up, nap time or trade play dates with other moms for some alone time or there's always evening after his/her bedtime if you have the energy then -- which I don't!! :o) But mostly the more you can include your child in exercising, the healthier he/she will be and the more lifetime good habits he/she will have locked in at foundation level! Good luck! :o)

My daughter will be 3 in October and I have a newborn and it took a long time for me to want to exercise so I figured if I start my daughter off early and when my son gets older get him into it too they will get healthier habits than I had growing up. I have been overweight for a long time and I don't want my children to be that way.
  • Emathea
    Emathea Posts: 11
    Options
    When I used to babysit, a great one I found was pushing the stroller with the toddler, normally or up a hill. Or if the toddler is feeling very lazy and you don't have a stroller, carry him/her (I found that very tiring up a hill). But general pushing the stroller/running/playing with the toddler should help.
  • curvykim78
    curvykim78 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I bought a BOB and we go out walking or jogging together...if he get's bored, we play games looking for animals, specific color mailboxes, whatever...Anything to distract him and keep my butt going.
  • Songtothesiren
    Songtothesiren Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Bench presses? I supose though it depends on how much the toddler weighs. If you had a matching pair you could try doing chest flies or squat presses. Nah just kidding.

I would have thought running around the park playing chase would be enough! :flowerforyou:

Mavis
  • Songtothesiren
    Songtothesiren Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    When Im bored I put my daughter over my shoulders and do squats and military press.

Im guessing thats not what you meant though.

^^What this MFP lady said!
  • rileymama
    rileymama Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I work out b/f they are up..take them on walks and to the park (where i dont let myself just sit and watch) and my 2 year old WILL get involved in my exercise, but is also the reason I fell 2 days b/f delivering my son and sprained my foot wrist and tailbone, so I try to do it when shes sleeping :P
  • AlphamaleBAMF
    Options
    I was wondering if anyone knew of some good exercises to do with a toddler?

Before I lost contact with my kids I used to do a kind of squat curl with my youngest daughter. She was about 5 and really loved it. I'd do 3-4 sets of 15-20 reps.
  • helenecg
    helenecg Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I put my son in the stroller and rollerblade with him. I give him a whistle and I found a MP 3 player that plays without ear phones, so he is the "coach" and the D.J. We will go out for over an hour and I blade from playground to playground and let him play for a few minutes and then move on. He is quite happy about it. Also, I found stroller classes, you should google stroller fitness and see if there are any in your area. We love them.
  • clbowman11
    clbowman11 Posts: 117
    Options
    Well, there is always pushing them in a stroller on a track my daughter enjoys the scenery. (: When it's hot I just make sure to pack cold juice and some snacks too (: And I've seen somewhere although I can't remember where online exercises to do with babys/toddlers. But, I guess that would depend on how big your toddler is and how tall. lol. Most of those that I've seen are exercises where you use the baby as your weights and it's usually arm exercises. They think you're playing with them, too (: I've even used my daughter while doing lunges when I get in the lunge I move her side to side and it works the stomach area and she giggles. Although, she's heavy so I can't do many of those yet. lol.
  • StaceyMayfonz
    StaceyMayfonz Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    The only problem I have with using my toddler for a weight is I am not in the best shape and she is over 3 ft and is 39 lbs.
  • clbowman11
    clbowman11 Posts: 117
    Options
    The only problem I have with using my toddler for a weight is I am not in the best shape and she is over 3 ft and is 39 lbs.

Yeah, her height might pose as a problem there as well. Hmm, other than walking/running with stroller in the park you might could find some things online (: My daughter is 16 mos and she is already trying to copy what I do so maybe she will start doing that and it's super cute (: