Meal replacement shakes -- buh-bye Shakeology :(

Options

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I like to eat my food.

I take whey protein to help me reach my protein macro for the day, unless I can do so through whole foods.

this.

the shakes i make at home are probably just as good, if not better, than anything you can buy in a store, and i can control how much of it i make.

try this one: 6-8 ounces of almond milk, 2-4 tablespoons of peanut butter, one banana, two scoops of chocolate protein powder. blend enjoy.
    Not a criticism, but why almond milk versus soy or cow which would have more protein? Is it something about soy milk and/or cow milk?
  • pstansel74
    pstansel74 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Lot less calories in almond milk. That's why I personally use it in my shakes. Plus less dairy issues if that matters to you.
  • CannibalisticVegetarian
    CannibalisticVegetarian Posts: 1,255 Member
    Options
    Whenever I need a meal replacement shake, I always go for the GNC lean shakes. And for further convenience, I choose the RTDs (Ready-to-drink) ones. They taste great when chilled and shockingly they keep me full. My favorite is the strawberries and cream, but I've been known to drink swiss chocolate and the vanilla bean also. Make sure you freeze them. They taste MUCH better once they're cold.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Lot less calories in almond milk. That's why I personally use it in my shakes. Plus less dairy issues if that matters to you.
    Ah. calories. Okay, that makes sense. I was trying to wrap my mind around it since soy has more protein (of the milk alternatives). Thanks. That makes sense.
  • AverageAngel
    AverageAngel Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Syntha -6 is really tasty as far as protein goes. I actually tried an egg protein powder by Dymatize. Rich chocolate. it is not good to blend, just a shaker bottle. It froths up quite well.

As far as smoothies go... Adding nut butters & high sugar fruits make me feel like I am peddling backwards. Adding lots of extraneous calories is what I am fighting against.
    I have instead gotten in the habit of using coconut water as my base . After a HARD workout, the electrolytes delivered , plus the nutrition from the protein powder really help fight against lactic acid headaches , at least that is what works for me...
    Be sure you are getting coconut WATER, not juice. . Look in the ethnic food isles to avoid the super pricey flashy new box/bottle coconut water.
  • MotivatedbyMarienal
    Options
    Yes I was going to say the same thing. They are working on a panel, people who have stuck to the new formula have began to adjust to it. I have Vegan and I LOVE it!
  • Debbiedebbiey
    Debbiedebbiey Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I loved shakeology. It could not afford it anymore. Tried some whey, but nothing has helped cut off my cravings like shakeology . Yesterday I ordered amazing grass superfood chocolate flavor. Reviews said it helped many with their cravings as well. Plus it has maca powder in it - love that stuff. It's like happy,energy powder. So I've got my fingers crossed-bc I can not afford my "soul mate":smile:
  • drvvork
    drvvork Posts: 1,162
    Options
    I like the Jillien Michaels
  • xoyasminxo
    xoyasminxo Posts: 132
    Options
    I would rather eat smaller potions of real whole foods than any shake. Most are loaded with junk ingredients and high sugar and do not support long-term health. I only use supplements as convenience when Ina hurry. Stick with real food.
  • skintimate32
    Options
    So I thought I had found my "soul mate" meal replacement shake in Shakeology, but I received my new superfood chocolate formula in the mail a week ago and I've decided I don't like it enough to continue with it. So disappointing! I thought I found a way to have a big glass of chocolate milk everyday lol :)

Anyway, what meal replacement shakes do you all use, and why do you like them? I'm returning my bag of Shakeology tomorrow and cancelling my home delivery for good, and I'd love your feedback! Tell me everything!

Have a great Saturday!

I'm not too fond of the new flavor either but to be honest it's been about a week and I'm getting used to it. I kind of eased my way into it by using less (like 3/4 of a scoop) and putting a little extra milk in with my pb and banana the way I like it and I'm slowly balancing out my ratio. It's still not AS good and I brush my teeth to avoid the aftertaste, but because of all the other benefits I get from it and how great I feel on days I drink it, I'm willing to do this while they conduct the taste panel and because I know they're listening to our complaints and making changes. I say stick with it. You can feel free to message me as well for other ideas or questions about it.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    So I thought I had found my "soul mate" meal replacement shake in Shakeology, but I received my new superfood chocolate formula in the mail a week ago and I've decided I don't like it enough to continue with it. So disappointing! I thought I found a way to have a big glass of chocolate milk everyday lol :)

Um, why not just have a glass of chocolate milk?

I have Carnation Instant breakfast in the morning. I'm not much for eating in the mornings, never have been. Anyway, it gives me about a third of my potassium for the day and a chocolate boost.
  • jadesign19
    jadesign19 Posts: 512 Member
    Options

try this one: 6-8 ounces of almond milk, 2-4 tablespoons of peanut butter, one banana, two scoops of chocolate protein powder. blend enjoy.

I do this too! Minus the banana and I use a whey protein. This is very helpful.
  • stephvaile
    stephvaile Posts: 298
    Options
    Didn't read comments so sorry if this was said...
    I LOVE slim-fast creamy milk chocolate. Tastes like chocolate milk to me(:
    And you can get the knock-off Equate for cheaper and its just as good or better!
    :happy:

iv started having this as a before or after workout , im veggie i take a supplement but i find the choc very nice and filling (for a snack) and the added vits are a bonus, too much protein constipates me , but u can still add stuff to slimfast if u get the vanilla just like the protein drinks and its not too expensive if u want it thicker make it with soya milk and add an extra scoop , i wouldn,t use it as a full meal replacement though some of the bars are good too and are good to fill the gap between your meals
  • ScottCadi
    Options
    Premier Nutrition chocolate....

they have 30 grams of protein, 2 grams of carbs and 160 calories. I like them well-chilled!!!

My nutrition calls for 30 grams (for a male, 20 for female) of protein w/ under 5 grams of carbs before 12 pm. The shakes taste pretty good compared to others I have had, BUT can only be purchased at Sam's Club, Costco and Meijer's.

My wife uses them regularly as well.

Personally, I wouldn't eat breakfast most days w/out them.

Hope it helps!!!
  • Windi43
    Windi43 Posts: 11
    Options
    love shakes. The trick is to make them yourself and use real food, not Slim Fast, etc. One of my favorites is 6 oz of almond milk, 6 oz of cold water, 1 cup of mixed frozen berries(I get a huge bag at Costco) and 1/2 cup pineapple, one packet truvia sweetenerand one cup nonfat greek yogurt. Blend well. That's a snack shake. and about 320 calories.

I have a meal replacement shake that is one scoop of protein powder (90 calories- no added sugar) 20 oz of water, 1/2 small banana (45 calories) 1/2 cup mixed berries (35 calories) 1/2 cup pineapple (40 calories) 1 cup chopped kale, one cup chopped spinach (add in about 60-70 more calories ). Blend well. It looks gross, but it's filling. Just start experimenting!

I take the snack one with me to work in a shaker bottle and drink it about an hour before I leave for the day so I am fueled up to go exercise. It's not heavy but it keeps you energized.

I have realized that eating "real food" whether it's in a shake or in it's original state is the best way to diet and making these changes, plus dropping ALL fake sweeteners (using Truvia) and cutting back on cow milk (using almond milk) and no carbs after my lunch meal has let me drop about 5 lbs in 3 weeks. May not sound a lot to anyone, but for me it's a huge step since i've been stuck for 6 months.

Good luck!
  • Planes1980
    Planes1980 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I use special K protein shakes only if I really bust it at the gym (as they are 180 calories). They really fill you up and taste so delicious that I cant keep my kids away from them. I actually have to hide them sometimes or they will go crazy with them. I am in Tx, and they cost about a dollar per each shake at Walmart. They have Strawberry (best), vanilla, and choc. Yummy.
  • Leeanne1974
    Leeanne1974 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I like to eat my food.

I take whey protein to help me reach my protein macro for the day, unless I can do so through whole foods.

this.

the shakes i make at home are probably just as good, if not better, than anything you can buy in a store, and i can control how much of it i make.

That sounds soo sooooooooooooo amazing but probably my daily allowance of calories, lol. Sounds so nice though
  • Amymarie19715
    Options
    I use Herbalife and really like it. Many different ways to make the shakes and they taste good! Also they have nutrition clubs so you can go in and have a tea and shake! its a healthy DQ!
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I like EAS 100% whey protein, GNC 100% whey protein and Body Fortress brand from Wal Mart. I usually buy the vanilla flavor because if I want chocolate, I just add in some dutch cocoa and blend.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I like to eat my food.

It is hard to reach protein macros when only consuming 1200 calories a day. I prefer to eat my food, too, but I need the extra protein in these shakes to stay on track.