Burned 583 calories?! Is this possible?!

Options
I need help. I used the app cardio trainer for the droid and ended up walking around 5 miles in 1 hr 30 min. I am 118 lbs. Is this possible? If so YES!!! Ideas?

Replies

• AzhureSnow
    AzhureSnow Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    when walking, I burn between 5-8 calories per minute, so, using that math, then yes it is possible to burn between 450-800 calories in 90 minutes, depending on hills and walking speed.
  • jendraka
    jendraka Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I plugged those numbers into one walking calories calculator and got 313 calories (at 3mph) and another produced around 360 calories. 583 does seem a bit high. Though, I guess, if you're going up and down all kinds of hills that might make a difference.
  • BrittanyBrines
    BrittanyBrines Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Holy cow, I've been burning a lot more calories than I thought. I normally just plug my mileage and time into MFP and it tells me around 200 calories were burned. this walk was an average walk for me. Normally I walk faster though, but sweet!! Thanks! That makes me really happy and excited. lol
  • AzhureSnow
    AzhureSnow Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I should note, however, that I walk at a speed between 3-4 miles per hour (so, a 15-20 minute mile). I also walk a few hills during my walks. If you're walking a 22+ minute mile on flat terrain, you're probably only burning 3-5 calories per minute.
  • BrittanyBrines
    BrittanyBrines Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I am normally walking 4 mph, today was bit slower, but it was very hilly. I walked/jogged when I could, but it was super crowded. I looked and the weight setting on the app was set at 170 lbs and I'm only 117, so that is probably why it was so high, but still, knowing I burn more than 200 calories is exciting for me. :)
  • Jynus
    Jynus Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I need help. I used the app cardio trainer for the droid and ended up walking around 5 miles in 1 hr 30 min. I am 118 lbs. Is this possible? If so YES!!! Ideas?
    not really possible. If it was your daily mailmen walking for 8 hours while carrying heavy mailbags would be needing to eat like 4k calories a day just to maintain.

For your average dude, standing = 3cal/min, walking at that pace would be about 5cal/min. meaning from exercise in 90min you're looking at 180calories. not 600.
  • quietcoral
    quietcoral Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Well, you probably burn close to 100-150 calories just doing normal activities for 90 min, so walking for 90 minutes should burn more than 200 calories, but 583 does seem a little high to me....
  • JennifercitaDEgomez
    Options
    Buy a HRM....u will love it
  • jcr85
    jcr85 Posts: 229
    Options
    On average every mile burns about 100 calories regardless of how long it takes.
  • josavage
    josavage Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    583 seems a little high to me. I weigh a lot more than you. I just walked for 64 minutes at a fast pace and burned 260 per my HRM.
  • tadpole242
    tadpole242 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    sorry but that is just a myth
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

Walking is great because it just takes so much energy to move so much mass so fast up so much incline. Very mathematical.

3.33 mph, 1% incline, 118 lbs, 90 min.

http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/WalkRunMETs.html

I show 339 Gross, which would include what your body was going to burn during that time anyway.
    Or 254 Net, above and beyond what it was going to burn anyway.

And that is at 1% grade, in case you had wind. I'm assuming any uphills had downhills and you made it back home.

When you start jogging faster, then your own abilities come more into play for efficiency and HR can reflect that.
    For walking, HR is mainly going to tell you if this was hard effort and carb-burning, or easy effort and fat-burning mainly.
  • WendySue67
    WendySue67 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Buy a HRM....u will love it

I agree! There is no way you will EVER know exactly without one. How many calories you burn depends on way too many criteria--your age, your weight, and your level of fitness. Two people working out/walking/jogging together will be totally different. No phone app, computer calculation, and no one else's numbers will ever be very accurate for you. Not only that, wearing a HRM has changed my workout--because I can actually watch what my heart rate is doing, I am working harder.
  • KhaosTh30ry
    KhaosTh30ry Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    it depends on many different factors, such as your weight, height, rate/speed and intensity of exercise, duration... very rarely will a single person get similar results to another person doing the same exact exercise.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

Very much varies.

http://www.exrx.net/Aerobic/WalkCalExp.html

Walking approximately 5.6 km/h (3.5 mph) is the most efficient speed. Running efficiency appears to taper off at higher speeds.

Transitioning from walking to running requires an increase of energy unlike once speculated. The primary stimulus for the transition from walking to running [Preferred Transition Speed (PTS)] is prompted by the perceived or imminent fatigue and discomfort in the tibialis anterior and other dorsal flexion muscle of the ankle (Hreljac 1995, Prilutshy et al 2001).

Usain Bolt was the fasted human on record during the 100 meter sprint at 44.72 km/h (27.79 mph). That was the average speed between the 60th and the 80th meter.
  • Sarah_Wins
    Sarah_Wins Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Invest in an HRM. No more calculating and wondering.
  • lifescircle
    Options
    Is it possible? ummm...

I burned about 830 calories today, walked 5.52 miles. The terrain is not flat at all and there are some rather hilly spots. My average HR was 141, my average pace was about 17:30/mile and I am at 164 pounds.

I think, just by your stats, that 583 is a bit high for you, especially when you know it has 170 lb person input into the program... that's a huge difference.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I like endomondo as my training app. It is entirely possible to burn that many calories if you are moving at a good pace. For more accuracy a heart rate monitor is helpful. A HRM is on my wish list, maybe as a gift to myself when I land a new job. :smile:
  • wendymaci
    wendymaci Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Invest in a good heart rate monitor it's the only way to know how many calories you burn!
  • ShaunMc1968
    Options
    Hi,
    I am 210 pounds.
    I have a Garmin HRM (GPS) and it is set to my current weight profile.
    On one of my walks I walked for 77 mins over rough terrain some hills at an average speed of 2.9mph.
    I burned 448 calories and covered 3.79 miles.
    Hope this helps,
    S.