I tried eating back my exercise cals and it's bs!

Options

Replies

• irisheyez718
    irisheyez718 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry that it didn't work for you, and glad you've found what does. I guess I'm really lucky that it does work for me, because there's no way I could have stuck to it this long eating so low.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,269 Member
    Options
    Erm did everyone notice the post on page 1 pointing out that this entire thread is BS?

The OP's diary suggests that for the past 2 weeks at least, she's not gone over 1300 cals. Most days she's hovering around 1100 - 1200. She eats minimal veg, and a lot of processed food.

I don't think the reason it 'didn't work' is a huge mystery, really....

I call troll, follderoll.

Hard to call BS on something you didn't even do, isn't it? Maybe if the OP actually DID eat back their exercise calories they would have seen it work. No way to tell though.

I have personally found that if I eat too low that I stall out on weight loss. As soon as I re-up my calories, I start losing again. But, apparently that is BS...
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    Eating "back" exercise calories is a phenomenon that only happens on myfitnesspal. If you aren't hungry, why on earth would you eat them back? Assuming you are trying to lose weight, eating back exercise calories doesn't make sense.

Nope. Fitbit's program works the same way, as does Lose It. I'm sure there are more too, but those are the ones I know of anyway.
  • clintbritt3
    Options
    I always eat mine back, and the scale is moving for me..... sounds like you are used to starving your body so when you added more food into it it decided to keep it because you had been lacking for so long. I NEVER feel like I'm restricted or on a diet, so I've stuck with it for 6 months and have lost 40lbs.... and no looking back. In the end you have to do what you THINK will work for you, but it sound like you will probably end up gaining it all back because 1200 is not healthy let alone on the days you workout.... stay safe.
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options
    You just didn't do it right.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Eating "back" exercise calories is a phenomenon that only happens on myfitnesspal. If you aren't hungry, why on earth would you eat them back? Assuming you are trying to lose weight, eating back exercise calories doesn't make sense.

Nope. Fitbit's program works the same way, as does Lose It. I'm sure there are more too, but those are the ones I know of anyway.
    I'd never heard of it til I joined here.
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options

No that's not true. Weight Watchers gives you more points for exercise completed (points is their equivilant of calories).

I believe everyone has to do what works for them. I have to eat my exercise calories back... otherwise I feel like I am starving and in a couple of days I will go on a binge. I don't necessarily eat them to the last calorie but I eat when I'm hungry and I like the greater variety of foods I have with more calories to work with. Today, with my exercise - which was an extended cardio session... I can eat 3200 calories. I probably won't but its nice to have the cushion. And it works for me.... I've lost a lot of weight.

Blanket statements that a particular method is bs is the real bs. Gotta be tolerant of everyone's choices and realize we all are individuals.
  • MissTomGettingThin
    MissTomGettingThin Posts: 776 Member
    Options

FACE PALM!
  • mandypizzle
    mandypizzle Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Whatever works for you... A lot of people swear by the opposite. Everyone is different. I personally try not to eat back all my exercise calories but on high calorie burn days (like right now I'm doing insanity) I am STARVING all day if I don't eat back some of them. I get really dizzy and tired. I just try to watch my hunger and just eat until satisfied and not full. Then I usually end up around 1400 calories ish.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I tried eating back my exercise calories and it WORKED! 80 lbs gone!

So it works FOR SOME PEOPLE.
  • BlueJean4114
    BlueJean4114 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    So for several weeks I tried to switch it up by increasing my cals and eating back my exercise cals. Absolutely DID NOT work! I am no back to sticking at 1200 cals whether I work out or not and almost immediately noticed the scale going down! I knew eating more to lose weight sounded too good to be true. Here's what works: eat less, move more. Period.

it's been the same for me, too.
    I could be wrong, but I think the other way, "eat back calories" is maybe more geared for ppl who are lifting weights, body builders, atheletes, etc, who have primary goal of adding muscle, bulking up, gaining strength, etc.
  • revncarmichael
    revncarmichael Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    My boot camp instructor says the samething. I find once in a while to go down to 1200 is ok, for a day. But I do the best and feel th best right between 1400 and 1500. Anything less and I tend to feel hungry and eat!!!!! Glad this is working for you!
  • Kimminer77
    Kimminer77 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    It worked for me! I wasn't losing anymore, but doing intense workouts, so I went from 1600 to 1900 calories and dropped 3lbs right away. I was surprised, but it worked for me!
  • fatbegone50
    Options
    Hi I'm Kathy, I agree with you, eat less, move more. Its the moving more thats hard for me. I have tumors in my spine, so i have back pain. I am going to try something i thought i would let u know about, Its called Green Coffee Bean Extract, from Dr. Oz. They say u can lose 7 pounds in a week, by taking this, and you dont have to change a thing, (diet or exercise). I know it sounds to good to be true, but its worth a try. Because if i get some weight off, then i will feel like moving more. right? So good luck to you.
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    May I suggest you educate yourself. Eating 1000 calories and burning 600 during exercise is not going to help you in any way. That's a net of 400 calories. How are you supposed to fuel yourself properly on 400 calories over 24 hrs. You need food to survive. I so sorry to be blunt but I'm worried about your health. Keep this pattern up and I shudder to think of what could happen to you.

DO this.
    1.Find your maintenance caloric level.
    2. deduct your weekly deficit and divide that by 7 (3500 cal = 1 lb)
    3. Exercise and eat that to maintain the weight loss you calculated above or don't eat for additional loss. But
    never, go below 50% or your maintenance or 1200 net calories unless you are under a Dr. Supervision.
  • ShaunaLaNee
    ShaunaLaNee Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I AGREE, Lets say you burn 300 calories in an hour by MFP standards ( they over estimate) so you eat them back? Um what??

Your body may have already burned 100 of those ALONE naturally and the 300 is really 200...so you have just OVER ATE by 200 calories, congrats:)

My doctor laughed at me when I said "I'm eating back my exercise calories,and my trainer said it was the quote "dumbest thing I've ever heard"
  • YoYo1951
    YoYo1951 Posts: 370
    Options
    Bump for later. I eat most of my exercise calories back, and I am glad to have the variety I get with more than 1200 calories a day. Sometime, it is just not enough!
  • EthelF1
    EthelF1 Posts: 3
    Options
    I would have to agree with every one who said that's just silly. And it is you proved it to yourself. The purpose is to excerise&eat less that's now you loose weight.I don't know why they even have that on the page you earned an extera what ever you excerised But sadly enough I have a friend who was doing the same thing and started to gain it back.She's came to her senses now .Personally I stay between 1200-1500 per day and excerise every day. So far I am 22 down in 65 days.:glasses:
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    May I suggest you educate yourself. Eating 1000 calories and burning 600 during exercise is not going to help you in any way. That's a net of 400 calories. How are you supposed to fuel yourself properly on 400 calories over 24 hrs. You need food to survive. I so sorry to be blunt but I'm worried about your health. Keep this pattern up and I shudder to think of what could happen to you.

DO this.
    1.Find your maintenance caloric level.
    2. deduct your weekly deficit and divide that by 7 (3500 cal = 1 lb)
    3. Exercise and eat that to maintain the weight loss you calculated above or don't eat for additional loss. But
    never, go below 50% or your maintenance or 1200 net calories unless you are under a Dr. Supervision.

But math is hard!
  • BlueJean4114
    BlueJean4114 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Kathy, I agree with you, eat less, move more. Its the moving more thats hard for me. I have tumors in my spine, so i have back pain. I am going to try something i thought i would let u know about, Its called Green Coffee Bean Extract, from Dr. Oz. They say u can lose 7 pounds in a week, by taking this, and you dont have to change a thing, (diet or exercise). I know it sounds to good to be true, but its worth a try. Because if i get some weight off, then i will feel like moving more. right? So good luck to you.

don't fall for gimmicks. save your money.
    x7M5C.jpg

even those limited by a restriction on their activity tolerance, CAN lose weight.

1mpOz.png