What is the right amount of calories?

Options
jryan83
jryan83 Posts: 72 Member
Ok...
On MFP my calorie recommendations are 1360. That's at the lowest activity level and counting no exercise.
Went to another website and they are recommending 1500 calories with same info. That's approx. a 200 cal a day difference (almost 1400 more a week). What tha heck is up with this?
I'm scared to just start eating more and end up gaining. I do remember having great results though when I first started MFP and had different macro's setup. I was eating around 1600 cals a day then. Eventually that slowed and stopped though so I re-calculated.

I'm scared and confused. I don't want to throw away the 23 lbs I've lost so far.

Need help please!

Oh and I'm (f) 5'7" 247lbs average build, have hypothryroidism and P.C.O.S. Both of which I am taking meds for.

Replies

• parias1126
    parias1126 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    It's all about the math. It all depends on how much you want to lose each week. I was on a 1270/cal/week plan and all of a sudden halted for 3 weeks. I had decrease my weight lost in the MFP settings from 2 lbs./week to 1.5/lbs. a week. After 2 days of that, the scale finally budged a bit. Now I am at 1500/cal/day, but I'm not eating back all my exercise calories, just some. You should probably just start where MFP says you should start and go from there. When it stops working for you, you may have to increase your caloric intake.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    It's BASICALLY about the math.... But your body isn't a robot. There is no one true number. Try 1360 for a week or 2 and see how you feel. Eat a bit more if you exercise. Then review how you're doing.
  • jryan83
    Options
    More info:

I've been at 1360 for 3 weeks now. Weight loss is pretty much halted.

With MFP I'm set to loose 2lbs a week.
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    You need more greens and fruit in your diet, you have a lot of processed food. Also how accurate are your logging? are you just finding something similar or actually going with nutritional facts from the item itself?
  • jryan83
    Options
    You need more greens and fruit in your diet, you have a lot of processed food. Also how accurate are your logging? are you just finding something similar or actually going with nutritional facts from the item itself?

My logging is fairly accurate. Usually exact.
    As for my fruits and vegetables, that's not likely to change. I don't like them. Never have, never will.
    I'd rather starve myself than be forced to eat foods I do not like.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    When you change your calorie intake, it can take a month or longer for your body to adjust and show results. It varies from person to person.

I found this link to be very helpful in setting up my goals and calorie intake: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    You are eating more than your daily calories some days. Plus you could maybe improve the quality of what you're eating - carbs, sodium and sugar are all quite often high, so I'd start by reviewing those items and see what little tweaks you could make.