How do you keep going!????

Options

Replies

• lizzy00125
    lizzy00125 Posts: 138
    Options
    Definitely agree with some of the other posters. I compete against myself. Take an exercise you really enjoy doing and see how you progress with it. I enjoy running and lifting weights. It is an awesome feeling when I crush my PR's in both. It feels great and keeps me pushing harder to beat those previous records. As for the "diet" part, if I feel like eating a slice of pizza I do. I don't restrict myself from eating anything because that just makes me binge eat later. Like they say, everything in moderation.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,300 Member
    Options
    I read a great article once with adivce from the top diet researchers. One said to diet at the most six months..then maintain for a while until you get your motivation back. He said, the average person can't keep their willpower and dedication strong after that time (on average). I think there is truth to that.. and that is a big reason why to hit it hard and get it done as fast as possible. Because there does come a time w here you want a break from the obsession it takes to lose weight.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    (a) I don't call it a diet, it's a lifestyle change, there's a better chance of keeping the weight off for good.

First let me say, that I really liked your post and agree with all of what you said. Please don't take what I'm about to say personally because it's not critical at all it's just how my goofy mind works.

Whenever I see the statement above about a lifestyle change, I always chuckle to myself and I think " lifestyle change? Like you decided to be gay? ( then in a Jerry Seinfeld voice) Not that there's anything wrong with it!" LOL
  • dadof2boyz
    dadof2boyz Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I don't think there's any magic solution that we can offer. But I think all of the comments I've read here, and my own thoughts, lean toward finding that internal motivation. I know it's difficult. And you're comparing what you want to do, with what you were able to do at the start. Don't forget... the first time you were so dedicated to doing this, that you did more than you could actually sustain. Working out every day, twice per day it sounds like? can lead to burnout. I went through that. I worked out 7 days / week for 1.5 hrs, lost 65lbs, felt like a million bucks, and gradually started to ween myself off all the extra working out - it simply wasn't sustainable - I never made a "realistic life shift". I did a quick fix, which was not sustainable.

The real key is to find a way to balance exercise, calorie intake, and your LIFE needs/wants/motivators/etc... we all need balance, and if we tip the scales (pardon pun) too far in one direction, we always swing back harder in the other direction. For example... too much exercise will lead to burnout and eventually no exercise... too few calories will lead to loathing calorie counting and you'll go back to overloading on calories.... too much of anything is too much and not sustainable. Finding balance is the real key, and NOT beating yourself up over it.

FIND A REALISTIC PATH which allows you to enjoy some things you really want to enjoy, allows you to exercise in moderation, and enjoy life.

Now I need to memorize all of this for my own self and follow my own advice. Shutting up now.... :-)
  • dadof2boyz
    dadof2boyz Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I don't think there's any magic solution that we can offer. But I think all of the comments I've read here, and my own thoughts, lean toward finding that internal motivation. I know it's difficult. And you're comparing what you want to do, with what you were able to do at the start. Don't forget... the first time you were so dedicated to doing this, that you did more than you could actually sustain. Working out every day, twice per day it sounds like? can lead to burnout. I went through that. I worked out 7 days / week for 1.5 hrs, lost 65lbs, felt like a million bucks, and gradually started to ween myself off all the extra working out - it simply wasn't sustainable - I never made a "realistic life shift". I did a quick fix, which was not sustainable.

The real key is to find a way to balance exercise, calorie intake, and your LIFE needs/wants/motivators/etc... we all need balance, and if we tip the scales (pardon pun) too far in one direction, we always swing back harder in the other direction. For example... too much exercise will lead to burnout and eventually no exercise... too few calories will lead to loathing calorie counting and you'll go back to overloading on calories.... too much of anything is too much and not sustainable. Finding balance is the real key, and NOT beating yourself up over it.

FIND A REALISTIC PATH which allows you to enjoy some things you really want to enjoy, allows you to exercise in moderation, and enjoy life.

Now I need to memorize all of this for my own self and follow my own advice. Shutting up now.... :-)

I meant to say 1.5 yrs, not 1.5 hrs
  • reweldt
    reweldt Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    i keep telling myself when i am a size 5 again someone will love me again
    i dont know what to tell you
    just find a reason in you that you want to keep dieting and exercising
    buy a cool dres two sizes too small
    i have a size 5 pants haning in my room it helps
    i am almost a size 8 now
    just dont give up on yourself your are worth it :)
  • conniehv40
    conniehv40 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Do you have the summer off?
    Have you gained weight this summer?

I am thinking that, if you do have the summer off and haven't gained weight, you could give yourself the benefit of the doubt by calling this your "maintenance diet for the summer". Once summer is over and you are back at your routine, go back to the work outs, but start a bit slower than when you left off-

good luck! oh, and wonderful that you lost 25 to begin with!!!
  • Hannesfit
    Hannesfit Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    It all starts in the Kitchen! I Make a grocery list every time. Plan my HEALTHY meals ahead of time so that I'm not tempted to buy things that aren't good for us. I have made it a habit to check the nutrition facts on everything. After studying these overtime you will learn what is healthy and what isn't. It has to become a natural part of life to pay attention to what you are eating.
  • k4evans1
    k4evans1 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I'm struggling with this too but here are things I'm doing...
    1) I workout M-F in the gym before work.
    2) On Saturday and Sunday I don't have to workout if I don't want to, but if I do it has to be something fun like going for a bike ride or doing something outside. Today I went on a bike ride for 10.6 miles which is 3.6 more than last weekend.
    3) Find something fun to join like a running club, biking club, etc. That way you HAVE to exercise during the week to keep up with the group, but it's also fun and social!

Hope that helps :)
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    There are only a handful of foods I love but don't eat (stuffed crust pizza for starters), but that's more to do with sodium than calories. I eat what I want, provided it fits in my macros/calories, and log it. Portion control works excellent for me. Like people keep saying, "This is for life" and I'm for damned sure not living without another Reese's peanut butter cup.
  • jemboop
    jemboop Posts: 3
    Options
    Try to Workout every other day. Do the workout that allow you 20 to 30 minute a day. Positive Affirmations for at least 15 minute in a quiet place with some peaceful music.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    I "stick to my diet' by not dieting. I don't restrict myself from the foods I love. I eat them in moderation, so there is no feeling of deprivation or need to be so strict. I have and always have eaten my carbs, my fats, my sweets and junk, but I balance it out with healthy food and lots of water!

that and I have totally gotten addicted to intense workouts. I love them endorphins!
  • a1schwei
    a1schwei Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    it is definitely different for everyone, but what keeps me going is keeping my expectations realistic...i am lucky that i genuinely enjoy exercise (mainly running) so i make an effort to get off my butt to workout in some way shape or form everyday whether it be a 20 minute walk around the neighborhood or a 10 mile training run...i will workout to eat more also :)
    i also don't restrict myself when it comes to what i eat...i seriously eat pizza at LEAST once most weeks! i have found ways to work things i like to eat into my calorie allotment...i know for myself, that most of the time 'healthier alternatives' don't always quench my cravings, so instead of trying multiple alternatives, i just have a reasonable portion of whatever i am craving and move on :) bad days happen, but what is most important for me is how i handle the next day...
    sticking with it can be hard, but it is always worth it in the end! :)
  • dmg16duke
    dmg16duke Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I agree on the "This is for life" statement. Speaking from the other side, one of the hardest parts is figuring out how to maintain what you've achieved. At the beginning, you have the motivation of small goals, dropping sizes in your clothes, etc. to keep you going. Those are each huge achievements, and they are amazing. Be proud of each of those goals that you have achieved! You've come a long way.

At the same time, you have to figure out what is sustainable for you. Eventually, you'll meet your big goal, and you'll have to be able to maintain that for the rest of your life, without the additional little goals and victories coming every week or few weeks. That means that you need to learn now not to beat yourself up about eating something once in awhile that you enjoy or would not have in your normal diet. You just don't eat/drink them all the time. You also have to learn what kind of workouts will fit in your life for the long haul. If twice a day really isn't sustainable, then learn how to exercise in a way that works for you in your lifestyle.

For an example, I have almost completely cut all soft drinks out of my diet. I'm not willing to drink the calories most of the time, especially when I could eat the same calories on a nice dessert or something. BUT, a group of friends goes to the gym and then goes out for happy hour on on a lot of Friday nights. While I don't drink alcohol (personal reasons), I'm not going to avoid going out with them. They all get their glass of wine, and I order something else, an arnold palmer, lemonade, or soft drink, depending on my mood that night. It's not every day, my calorie intake can take that once every couple of weeks, and I'm living a life that I enjoy with friends that I love. Plus, we're encouraging each other in our healthy lifestyle by working out together.

Just learn what works for you.
  • GijitsMom
    Options
    I heartily agree that motivation comes from within. No matter what I tried, nothing worked until my doctor informed me that my left knee has no cartilege left in it and I will need knee replacement sometime in the future. How soon is directly up to me. If I lose weight and continue my exercise routine, this knee will last longer. If not, then it will not.

I am still struggling with it, but have realized that this is not just a diet, but, as others have said, a lifestyle change. I am trying to keep the goal in focus. Keep my own knee for a lot longer.
  • Ericacastillo
    Ericacastillo Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    wow! totally what i needed to hear guys!! thanks for all the great words!! I'm going to work harder at just doing it! and having fun!! I think I want to go back to being extreme because I saw results quickly. I guess I should be thankful that I haven't gained any weight these last two months that I have been terrible I go up and down but for the most part it stays at 148. I'm just going to work on doing it!

THANKS MFP FAM!
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I just do it. its not a cycle of healthy/unhealthy. i just doont eat poorly, ever. i dont take days off of exercise unless its on my calendar.its not a habit or a portion of my life, its what i will have to do forever. dont give yourself the option of slacking. for me, i compare it to my pets. even if i dont want to walk/water/feed them it isnt a choice. it has to be done daily. rain or shine, good day or not. permanently. when you make healthy living a "have to" and not a "want to" it gets easy.

Very well put. You've changed your lifestyle... working out and eating right are not optional just as showering or brushing your teeth aren't.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I've recently had a lot of trouble getting motivated--a lot of other stuff is going on and it's just vanity weight anyway. I keep falling off the tracking wagon, but when I do, I still try to keep it reasonable. I don't eat pizza all day long and try to pretend I had any chance of sticking within my limits. Whenever I feel the motivation come back, I log and eat at a deficit. I notice that every time I do this, I gain several pounds that ends up being water weight that goes away with a couple of days of a deficit. This is good enough for me right now. I'm not sure if that is helpful, but sometimes what you want and what you are able to do that day are not always the same thing. Accepting that has helped me keep things real for myself.
  • jendeja
    jendeja Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    There are two things I struggle with:

1) Not caving and going into a series of cheats.
    2) How to get back on track after caving into a series of cheats.

I've pretty much come to understand that I will have to cheat/binge every now and then, the key for me is to be good longer before the next one - and to bounce back faster after I fall off that proverbial horse.

My tricks:

-- Find new recipes that are super healthy. I research ways to make my cheat meals diet-plan approved. I'm currently on a diet that I cannot find any recipe that fits, so I have to research different variations until I can make one up that would meet all my needs. It is fun because I learn new cooking techniques and ways to think about ingredients, and when cooking it takes up time that I'm not thinking about unhealthy food because I'm focused on the healthy stuff. I generally spend one of the weekend days cooking a new super healthy sauce or soup that can easily be re-purposed to "spice" up my steamed veggies, steamed chicken breast or salmon throughout the week. Today I just made a really good bolognaise sauce (150 calories/serving!) that I will use all week, while last week I made a spinach-based sauce that tasted completely different.

-- Buy gadgets. I know not everyone can do this or would find it valuable, but getting the next gadget that will help keep me on track tends to "jump start" me because I want to use my new toy and be successful. I chose to get a FitBit so I could add a heart rate monitor to track my cardio/strength sessions through Digifit & a heart rate monitor. Also, syncing them with Earndit.com helps because you can win real life prizes for doing the things you should be doing. (BONUS!)

-- Compare myself to celebrities. I know - this sounds SO BAD. But in a really weird way, it helps me. It helps me to remind myself I don't want to look gaunt and sickly so I need to eat good calories and that I need to build up muscle. It also helps for me to see celebrities that do look good, and hearing about how they have to work hard in order to do it so I feel less alone and realize that if you want to flaunt it - you have to work it.

-- Just get to the gym. As annoying as it sounds, we all know we feel better after getting a workout in. Just making yourself go for a few days in a row with healthy eating can help turn around a series of bad decisions. My workouts are much more bearable when I am watching cooking competitions - partially because afterword I don't want to eat as much because I lived vicariously through the show.

I hope some of these work for you, and I look forward to hearing other tips from other members that I can add to my list of arsenal!
  • UNTOLDSMILE
    UNTOLDSMILE Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    You are going to slip up from time to time. I know some people claim they don't, but I don't buy it. I try to remember why I got started. Then I remember why it is I continue to do it. Everyone here has there own reasons for why they started. Hang on to that. You'll find it again. This whole experience is an endurance test. It can be a pain in the *kitten* sometimes.