Is the same workout every day bad?

Options
I finally found an exercise that I love and I feel like I can stick to for awhile and I'm getting great results. I've heard that if you do the same exercise every day, your body will eventually stop responding. Is this true? Eventually, I'm going to add in strength training and other cardio, but for now, I want to just stick to the elliptical. Any pros out there with any advice on the subject? Thanks!

Vanessa

Replies

• fatbegone50
    Options
    I just saw something on tv from a top trainer yesterday, she said to change your workout every day, because your muscles get used to the same thing, and if you change it you can lose more weight. hope this helps. kathy
  • SkinnyChemicals
    Options
    No, it isn't bad. Though as I'm guessing its just cardio you'll need to increase the length/intensity if you want to burn the same amount of calories.
  • SkinnyChemicals
    Options
  • jawheb
    jawheb Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I switch strength training every 3 months to confuse muscles. Your muscles have memory. Cardio I don't change much, it's cardio. I just try to get more distance each time.
  • crazy8ts
    crazy8ts Posts: 360
    Options
    If you love it... keep it up. If you find yourself getting bored, find something else you love. Do your muscles get used to the workout? Yep... but as long as you're getting results... and you're happy... then do your thing. If you find yourself plateauing, then move to something else...
  • AverageAngel
    AverageAngel Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    If you are doing the same machine, it is more important to do your interval training to drop lbs. Do what makes you feel good! :drinker:
  • CopperGalaxy
    CopperGalaxy Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I find that if it becomes too easy my body stops responding, so just step it up notch by notch or try to vary your activities. It has worked for me. I do rock climbing for strength, jogging and aerobics for cardio and just general toning exercises for muscles and try to vary this through the weeks xxx
  • VanessaHeartsMasr
    Options
    Forgot to mention that I've been trying to increase the intensity every day too. Started out at level 1 on the machine, now at level 5 or 6.
  • GijitsMom
    Options
    I do the same type of cardio, but also work with a trainer on strength training. We change exercises each session to keep things fresh. My trainer and physician both tell me tha the more muscle you build the more calories you burn and I'm all for that,.
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    If you love it, keep doing it, but your body *will* adjust. Look for new challenges you might enjoy along they way :)
  • VanessaHeartsMasr
    Options
    Thanks for the tips! Makes sense.
  • xoyasminxo
    xoyasminxo Posts: 132
    Options
    I like to mix it up so I don't get bored. I love mixing strength training, isometric exercises, running, and HIIT. I also do a lot of split workouts (lower body, upper body) to get maximum benefits!