do you eat your exercise calories?

Options
I am curious how many people eat the calories they burn during exercise. Say your goal is 1200 calories and you burn 500 doing exercise, so your new goal is 1700, do you eat 1200 or 1700? Are you losing weight? Thanks everyone!

Replies

• momto3as
    momto3as Posts: 12
    Options
    It really depends on the day and on my activity level. I'm hypoglycemic, so I have to be careful with what and how often I eat. I figure I'm on average eating about 1/2 of my exercise calories during the week. I've just started on MFP, but I was losing about 1lb to 1/2 a lb a week. I'm doing Insanity right now, so my weight lose has slowed down, but I'm still losing inches. So...I figure I'm doing okay right now. :)
  • kisses4dylan
    kisses4dylan Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    good question! I just asked someone else the same thing because I have read conflicting things! Ill keep checking back to see if someone explains!
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Yes, within reason. Sometimes my burns are pretty hefty and on those days I aim to at least net 1200.
  • kisses4dylan
    kisses4dylan Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    www.shouldieatmyexercisecalories.com

This is pretty funny but it took me to some great links! Found it on one of the other threads!
  • penfold49
    penfold49 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I say you should eat them. Exercise burns fat but you need protein to replace it for muscle build. I've been hit and miss on here but have just got back into it but when I used it previously I was losing weight whilst eating the exercise calories. That said calories are a good indicator but you need to be watching all the report, living on sugar calories is no good, you need to be hitting the other targets too.
  • fabfindz05
    fabfindz05 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    There are times when I eat some of them, but for the most part I don't. I probably should, but it seems like I'm eating so much to begin with.
  • aliciagudino
    aliciagudino Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I only eat some of mine back if I feel hungry still. There are days where I only net 800-900, and I know some people would say that is really bad for me, but I just listen to my body...if I am hungry after I have already eaten all of my cals, I will eat some of my exercise cals back. But I never eat all of them back simply because I think I have to. Only if I'm hungry. For me, it's working just fine. I'm losing slowly, but I'm losing. Before when I first started I was eating all of them back because I thought I had to, and I didn't lose anything. Everyone is different though, I just say listen to your body, it will tell you if you are hungry or feeling sluggish and need food :)
  • Huskeryogi
    Huskeryogi Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't.

I don't think it's necessary though. If I eat them back it's more because I ended up going out and eating more than planned.
  • TXHunny84
    TXHunny84 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I only eat some of mine back if I feel hungry still. There are days where I only net 800-900, and I know some people would say that is really bad for me, but I just listen to my body...if I am hungry after I have already eaten all of my cals, I will eat some of my exercise cals back. But I never eat all of them back simply because I think I have to. Only if I'm hungry. For me, it's working just fine. I'm losing slowly, but I'm losing. Before when I first started I was eating all of them back because I thought I had to, and I didn't lose anything. Everyone is different though, I just say listen to your body, it will tell you if you are hungry or feeling sluggish and need food :)

^^ THIS!

Food is fuel... If you are not hungry or needing the energy from the food then don't. If you are hungry or needing energy then eat SOME....stop and see how you feel. If you are still hungry eat some more...etc.... Don't eat back a number because MFP says to- listen to your body. How does it know how hard you worked and how many actual calories you burned when every body and metabolism is different?... If you ate them all back each time you could over eat and gain weight = no bueno.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Personally, I eat if I'm hungry, and I always make sure my NET calories are at or above my BMR. My daily calories are set at 1800, and some days I am hungrier than others, so depends on hunger, and the net calories.

If you're set at 1200 per day, and you are burning through exercise, then I think you should eat your calories back - using the example of eating 1200, but having burned 500 in exercise, that leaves you with a net of only 700 calories for the day, which is pretty low. Get too low, and the body starts wondering if it will get what it needs, giving it a reason to store fat. Don't give it a reason! Food is fuel - eat healthy, and a healthy amount, and the body will function efficiently, & you'll have great energy for workouts. Know your BMR and your TDEE, and as long as you're eating between those two numbers, you will lose weight.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12 <
    Great topic with tons of great info about findingyour numbers & how much you should be eating to reach your goal. :smile:
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    YES YES YES!!!!

I eat 1500 calories, PLUS my workout cals

that is how I have lost all my weight :)
  • lengirl75
    lengirl75 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I don't eat my exercise calores unless I am overly hungry.
  • RancidPolecat2
    Options
    When I work out, I tend to burn from 600 to 1000 calories, depending on duration and intensity. While exercising does make me consume more that I would have otherwise, it's nowhere near that.
  • jaxxie
    jaxxie Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    bump
  • rheelizabeth
    rheelizabeth Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Yes I eat back my calories so my NET calories is at my original goal.

I eat 1500 a day, I burn 300 of them. So I eat 1800 and my net is 1500 .

I am losing.. coming close to 20lbs now
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    YES YES YES!!!!

I eat 1500 calories, PLUS my workout cals

that is how I have lost all my weight :)

I try for 1200 plus my workout calories, but don't always make it. But I keep trying because I believe in the concept.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    depends on how hungry I am. I see no reason to force food down my throat just beacuse I exercised, but if I am hungry, then I will eat those calories I burnt.