Lower abdominal fat

Options
I want to know if anyone has any suggestions on how to tone that lower abdominal fat. I am very self conscious about it, I am just now getting back on track. I finally learned how to use the elliptical correctly. I am working my endurance up, I am up to 25 minutes. I am doing weights and crunches too. But has anyone had an success???

Replies

• stephl21uk
    stephl21uk Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    bumping as i'd also like to know, thinking about doing one of jillin micheals DVDs that are for bellys?anybody tried one? x
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    It's one of the last places on the body to lose fat. Exercise will strengthen your core (which is good), but for losing that, it just takes eating right, staying active, and being patient.
  • Cabrinii
    Cabrinii Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    You could do cardio to target the abs including the lower portion, such as tae bo, cardio boot camp, or dancing of any type like hip hop, salsa, or Zumba. That way you could take the inches off your waist easily.
  • lluulluu
    lluulluu Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    bump.... I wanna know how to get rid of it as well.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    It's one of the last places on the body to lose fat. Exercise will strengthen your core (which is good), but for losing that, it just takes eating right, staying active, and being patient.

^^ this, unfortunately.

sit ups and crunches are a waste of time for most people, considering most will never get to a level of leanness that would actually reveal all 8 abs.

Spend you time doing something more productive like some sprints, squats, kettlebell swings etc this will do more for your overall fat loss than crunches ever will.
  • babyblake11
    babyblake11 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    Eat at a moderate defecit, do some HIIT and some stready state cardio, do weights 3 days a week and eat healthy wholesome foods, avoid diet foods and junk. Make sure you are also eating enough, if you have alot to lose, set mfp to lose 2lbs per week, a moderate amount 1lb per week. Just toning or a small amount of weight aim for 1/2 a pound per week. Eat most of your exercise calories back. Find your right macronutrients carbs/fat/protein. Do not try to restrict any (but yes, dont eat bad foods). And see a doctor to get some blood tests to check all your vitamin levels, to make sure you have nothing lacking which can increase hunger and give you low energy levels. Have some days off exercise, never have to consecutive hard days. For example, if you smashed the gym HARD today, just go for a power walk tomorrow. With your weights, aim or 6-8 reps and 2-4 sets and make sure you are struggling by the last 1-2 reps. Sorry for the jumple there is just alot to mention ;) Feel free to add me for some more support i am a pt in training! + i have plenty of personal experience.
  • mensasu
    mensasu Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    The plank works all abs, including lower abs plus the reverse crunch is good for the lower abs, but these will tone the muscles. You got to lose the fat through diet and cardio.
  • MeganDominique
    MeganDominique Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    you need to do strength training !

if your going to do crunches do the reverse crunch and bicycle most effective on the "pouche"
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    You can't "tone" fat - all you can do is lose it. As said above, it's (unfortunately) one of the last places it comes off for most people.

Ab exercises are completely, totally ineffective for abdominal fat loss - see this study:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21804427
  • thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Abs are made in the gym and revealed in the kitchen. You can have rock hard ab muscles, but you'll never see them until you strip off the fat on top. It's generally a pretty stubborn area. Just keep eating at a deficit, do strength training, and be patient. :flowerforyou: