America to UK

Options

Replies

• jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    Roundabouts! When driving through America we only ever found one little one!

(eta I think they are called circular intersections in America!)

You must not have gone to the New England area, we are littered with them, we call them rotaries
  • AGGUK73
    AGGUK73 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    It's bl**dy expensive here, but then we don't know any difference so are used to it. UK is (was???) an amazing place. I'm not going down the political route but it defo isn't what it was :( NHS is amazing though (biased as I work in it), we are very fortunate to have it yet most British do nowt but moan about it. They don't call us the 'whingeing poms' for nothing ;)

Oh & we have a wicked sense of humour, lost on the majority of the globe :)

at least here in the USA we get your sense of humor. we love your tv shows and comedians. Ricky Gervais is one of if not the funniest people alive.

If you get our sense of humour then you're a rare breed of American. I've spent a lot of time over there, got loads of American friends and my sister in law is American and they really don't get the humour. I travelled all over the US and maybe 5% got it. Maybe.
    I don't think it's that much more expensive than the US. Ok, petrol yeah. That is annoying, but you generally don't need to drive as much. There are usually other ways to get around especially if you live in a city. Every country has it's little idiosyncrasies so I can't tell you if you would prefer it to where you are. The little irritating things can bother some and not others. The NHS is awesome though. Having used healthcare in both countries I will never complain about the NHS again!
    Come for a holiday and see if you like it. If you don't like the city, try the country. I love England :-)

Uk is awesome, but besides the petrol dont you think housing & general living costs are more?? It cost's me a fortune to kit out my teens & they only have normal high street brands. We defo have a selective humour............Miranda!! How many others would get her?? She's hilar ;)
  • sazzyp1973
    sazzyp1973 Posts: 517 Member
    Options

You must not have gone to the New England area, we are littered with them, we call them rotaries

No, not in New England, good you have rotaries then!! We were in California, Nevada and Arizona. Just loads of driving on a straight road until we hit a junction then driving on another long road!
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Housing and food are more expensive, as is petrol and diesel (read: not 'gas' :P). NHS is fine if you can't afford private healthcare. Aside from that;
    - No guns! Yay! (disclaimer; exceptions may include, but are not limited to: organised crime, terrorists and that police officer looking at you funny.)
    - Correct spelling of English words! Yay!
    - A very outdated road network in many parts of the country! Yay(?)!
    - Rain!
    - More rain!
    - Even more rain!
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    [
    If you get our sense of humour then you're a rare breed of American. I've spent a lot of time over there, got loads of American friends and my sister in law is American and they really don't get the humour. I travelled all over the US and maybe 5% got it. Maybe.
    I don't think it's that much more expensive than the US. Ok, petrol yeah. That is annoying, but you generally don't need to drive as much. There are usually other ways to get around especially if you live in a city. Every country has it's little idiosyncrasies so I can't tell you if you would prefer it to where you are. The little irritating things can bother some and not others. The NHS is awesome though. Having used healthcare in both countries I will never complain about the NHS again!
    Come for a holiday and see if you like it. If you don't like the city, try the country. I love England :-)

im from the washington d.c. area so maybe we were more in tune with international things?

question: i get the sense a lot of people arent fans of Piers Morgan...ive watched him do interviews and he seems fine to me. maybe its because Brits are more likely to cut to the chase and ask meaningful questions instead of being politically correct?
  • SairahRose
    SairahRose Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    A lot of people drive, but public bus routes/trams and trains get you where walking doesn't.
    And yeah - it is a lot more expensive here, but technically the wages seem to be okay to deal with that.
    The houses are an awful lot smaller though for your money....

Yes - it's because Piers Morgan is just plain rude....
  • AGGUK73
    Options
    & more & more & more & more rain :(
    Our roads arn't that bad are they??
  • sazzyp1973
    sazzyp1973 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    [

im from the washington d.c. area so maybe we were more in tune with international things?

question: i get the sense a lot of people arent fans of Piers Morgan...ive watched him do interviews and he seems fine to me. maybe its because Brits are more likely to cut to the chase and ask meaningful questions instead of being politically correct?

Piers Morgan comes across as smug, which I think is what is off putting about him, but I guess you are right about Brits cutting to the chase!
  • britlocs
    britlocs Posts: 124
    Options
    [

no its because piers morgan is an *kitten*..
    lol.I don't even think brits like him,thats why he moved.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    They are compared to anywhere else I've driven - especially in and around London where they were originally designed to be wide enough for Horse and Carriage. The main roads are getting updates all the time, though.

But yes, lots of rain.
  • innocenceportrayed
    innocenceportrayed Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I'd love to visit England, but never live there. It is expensive comparetivly but our dollar just isn't worth sh** anymore.
    I am going to Ireland after I finish my bachelors and even there I've heard it's expensive but to visit it's cheap. Plus people don't realize how beautiful the US is, it really is gorgeous if you take the time to stop and see the sights. I've been to 46 of the states and even though I can't compare eyesight to eyesight only eyesight to photo, I'd say the US has some places prettier than a lot of places in Europe(not to say the Europe isn't pretty, it is). I do have to agree though, they have a better history and culture than us and they teach and respect it better than we do.
  • LordBezoar
    LordBezoar Posts: 625 Member
    Options

Roundabouts are cropping up all over the place here in SLC. Not on major intersections, but they are in a ton of the neighborhoods and a couple of medium sized road where they get heavy traffic throughout the day.

Also, I have never heard them referred to as "Circular Intersections" by anyone outside of the news--and even there they have started switching to roundabout.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options

no its because piers morgan is an *kitten*.

thats what i meant. it seems brits dont like him. he doesnt come across as an *kitten* when ive seen him...maybe he rethought his approach when moving to the USA? :)

or maybe i have rose colored glasses for all things British :D
  • AGGUK73
    Options
    They are compared to anywhere else I've driven - especially in and around London where they were originally designed to be wide enough for Horse and Carriage. The main roads are getting updates all the time, though.

But yes, lots of rain.

Ahh you see that's our history.........horse & carriage & all that through the streets of Victorian London (i.e. the slums!!!)
  • britlocs
    britlocs Posts: 124
    Options

thats what i meant. it seems brits dont like him. he doesnt come across as an *kitten* when ive seen him...maybe he rethought his approach when moving to the USA? :)

sorry,my mistake,misread :P

and I should have said ARSEhole :P
  • sunshine_gem
    sunshine_gem Posts: 390 Member
    Options

There's a lot of history with piers morgan. He was the editor of a newspaper (and I use the term 'news'paper loosely) and he was basically a dirty journalist. Caused a lot of trouble and as others have said, was basically an *kitten*.

And in response to the other poster, no, I don't think living costs are more expensive. I'm not saying it's necessarily cheap here at the moment but I don't think anywhere's cheap at the moment really. Pros and cons everywhere.
  • SilkyHotspur
    SilkyHotspur Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    what's all this nonsense about rain?....FYI Paris gets more rain on a yearly average than London (someone will check me on this i'm sure).

Comparing England to the US is a ridiculous comparison....i was born and raised in North London, and have lived in the US for over 20 years... So why is it ridiculous?....i could drive from one end of England to Scotland in about 6hrs (depending on traffic....probably longer now since i've been gone). It would take 48hrs of non-stop driving to go coast-to-coast in the USA taking I10 on the southern route.

The population of England is ~65million, i think California alone is ~45Million...

If you don't like one part of the USA, move to another state...different laws and culture....

I love both places, both for completely different reasons that cannot be duplicated on either end
  • Poorgirls_Diet
    Poorgirls_Diet Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Don't move to London, I gotta say since moving here people are rather rude, always on the go. If they are walking down a street they won't move you either walk around them or through them but they won't budge. Don't get me started on women with buggies or prams. Even while driving if you dare nip into their lane be prepared for the abuse.

Wales is a beautiful area to live, beautiful scenery. I have lived in New York and being honest if I had the money I would move back there in a shot. But then again New York is full of irish people which is why I left like I was living home from home.

In certain areas of England people have as much charisma as a banana.

If you ever fancy coming to Ireland though give us a shout I will gladly show ya all the good places to go. Some places are quite expensive especially near the cities but then where in the world isn't?
  • AGGUK73
    Options
    what's all this nonsense about rain?....FYI Paris gets more rain on a yearly average than London (someone will check me on this i'm sure).

Comparing England to the US is a ridiculous comparison....i was born and raised in North London, and have lived in the US for over 20 years... So why is it ridiculous?....i could drive from one end of England to Scotland in about 6hrs (depending on traffic....probably longer now since i've been gone). It would take 48hrs of non-stop driving to go coast-to-coast in the USA taking I10 on the southern route.

The population of England is ~65million, i think California alone is ~45Million...

If you don't like one part of the USA, move to another state...different laws and culture....

I love both places, both for completely different reasons that cannot be duplicated on either end

You havn't lived in UK for 20 yrs though?? I think you may notice a slight change should you ever choose to habitat here again!! Still some positive points to our wonderful country, though they are diminishing rapidly :(

P.s. please don't talk to me about rain either as I may get violent ;)
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Our (UK) weather is total crap. :grumble:

But on days like today where the sun was out all day and so hot it makes this country amazing!