Having PMS cravings for a big gooey brownie, help!

Options
Ladies,

Do you have any suggestions for a good healthy substitute for brownies when you're having insane cravings for them on your period? Or know of any brownie recipes that aren't terribly bad for you?

Thank you!! :)

Replies

• patrnbabe
    Options
    I just eat the brownie. Sorry that's not much help. I will not go so far as to actually bake a batch of brownies. That would be doom to portion control. If there's no brownie, then a nice big glass of chocolate milk to wash down a couple pieces of 70% dark chocolate. Better yet, melt the chocolate into the milk and add a splash of cream. If it's too hot to drink hot chocolate, then stuff it into the freezer until it's icy cold. yumm.

I decided long ago that giving into a specific craving (reasonable portion of course) stopped me from eating everything in sight while trying to satisfy the craving with a substitute.
  • ricky_j_b
    ricky_j_b Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    mix 1 scoop of protein powder with water,until thick like pancake batter,add 1 tbs of peanut butter,almond butter or coconut oil,fold until mixed.Microwave for 30 seconds,top with a few blue berries if desired,,,enjoy,,,forget the brownie!!
  • sjohnston75
    sjohnston75 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Try those Fiber One Brownies. They're actually pretty good for when you have that brownie craving. They don't taste completely like one you whip up yourself, but with only five little brownies in a box you can keep them in your home and not have to worry about making a pan and eating eating them all in one sitting...
  • Sarasari
    Sarasari Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Eat it on a small plate with a fork and eat it sloowly,then walk it off. When I first started I would induge every period,I just had to make sure those were major excercise days. The cravings have lessoned,probably because I never denied myself.Good luck!
  • Lauran845
    Lauran845 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I just struggled with an ice cream craving and well at the store I looked at the calories on everything they had, multiple times, and settled for an ice cream cone instead of the single serve (which is actually four servings) pint of ice cream. I figured I would be satisfied (which I am) and only expend 350 calories instead of 900. I knew I would not be able to stop at one, two or three servings if I bought the pint and I would have ruined my day. My suggestion is, if you want a brownie, go get one...a single packaged serving. Or if chocolate is really what you want, make yourself Devil's Food cupcakes (mini if you have the pan for it) and use the box of cake mix and one can (12 fl. oz) of diet clear soda or seltzer, nothing else. Consider the calories in the whole box of mix plus the soda and divide by the amount of servings (24 for cupcakes or 48 for minis) and you can budget accordingly for you.
  • asdandme
    asdandme Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I saw posted elsewhere to take a box of brownie mix and 1 can pumpkin(not pie mix) mix and bake . They are suppose to be delicious and chocately but low cal. Been wanting to try it. good luck:smile:
  • Perfectdiamonds1
    Perfectdiamonds1 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I sometime have the Fiber One Brownie. Heat for a few seconds in the microwave. Put a 100 calorie scoop of frozen yogurt on top. That really gets me through the cravings. I also keep some Jello 60 calorie pudding cup in the fridge also. I just dont over do it with the sweets, just enough to keep the monster off my back. :bigsmile:
  • sbilyeu75
    sbilyeu75 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Eat it, enjoy it then move on. Next time, save the calories for it.
  • AshleeAouad
    AshleeAouad Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    @patrnbabe I loved your hot chocolate suggestion! I went on the elliptical to distract myself from the craving and remind myself how hard I'm working, and when I got back home decided that a hot chocolate was a good compromise. :) Thank you for the suggestion!

@sjohnston75 I'll have to pick up a box of those Fiber One brownies, great idea!

@sarasari That's great your cravings have lessened, maybe mine will too!

@Lauran845 Good job controlling your ice cream cravings, and thank you for the cake suggestion!

@asdandme Another awesome cake suggestion, thanks!

@perfectdiamon YUM that sounds awesome to add frozen yogurt to the fiber one brownie for an extra delish treat!

@sbilyeu75 Good simple advice :)

Thanks everyone for getting me through my craving attack!
  • MeganDominique
    MeganDominique Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Brownies
    Ingredients
    •1/3 cup Organic Virgin Coconut Oil or butter, melted
    • ½ cup cocoa powder
    • 6 eggs
    • 1 cup sugar- i use xylitol
    • ½ teaspoon salt
    • ½ teaspoon vanilla
    • ½ cup sifted Organic Coconut Flour
    • 1 cup nuts, chopped (optional)

Method
    In a saucepan at low heat, blend together butter and cocoa powder. Remove from heat and let cool. In a bowl, mix together eggs, sugar, salt and vanilla. Stir in cocoa mixture. Whisk coconut flour into batter until there are no lumps. Fold in nuts. Pour batter into a greased 11x7x2 or 8x8x2 inch pan. Bake at 175C (350F) for 30-35 minutes.
  • mystikalbeanz
    mystikalbeanz Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I saw posted elsewhere to take a box of brownie mix and 1 can pumpkin(not pie mix) mix and bake . They are suppose to be delicious and chocately but low cal. Been wanting to try it. good luck:smile:

^ This. I just copied that recipe from the thread and cant wait to make them!! :c)
  • AverageAngel
    AverageAngel Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    clean eating magazine, and other places have a recipe for black bean fudge brownies. No kidding, they are really yummy. need a little powdered sugar dusting, but..
    And.. before i dropped wheat.. the fiber one bar was my go to quick fix!