Not losing weight?

Options
Welp the title says it all folks. Early last May I was 134 pounds, then some events came up (birthdays, holidays, etc) and I ended up indulging and gaining a bit from it. I now fluctuate between 138 - 140 pounds and I haven't lost any in over two months. I'm not only going by the scale either. I'm going by how my clothes fit and my measurements, which are exactly the same. My goal is to get down to 118 - 124 pounds, but if I'm heavier from muscle, that's alright, too. I want to be lean! I have an event next summer I want to look good for and not losing weight won't help.

For the last few months I had been doing 45 - 60 minutes of cardio, no strength training, and eating between 1200 - 1600 calories. Last week I started strength training, too so now I do a circuit routine 2 - 3 days a week, of strength and cardio. I know I haven't gained muscle weight in only two weeks.

MFP says I should eat 1500 calories without exercise, and with between 1800 - 1900 (depending on how much my workout burns, which is between 250 - 400 calories, depending on the exercises). I tried to eat about 1800 this week but only got to 1600 maybe 1700. Should I try eating 1800 for a few more weeks to see how that does? I used this site http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ to figure calories and it says to eat between 1800 - 1900.

Any advice is appreciated. If it helps, I'm 18 years old, 138 - 140 pounds and about 5'3" and a half I think.
SORRY for posting this again, I didn't get a lot of advice last time...
;(

I've tried eating anywhere between 800 - 1600 calories for weeks at a time (like 800 for a few weeks, then 1000 for a few, etc) and none have worked for me.

Replies

• Voca_Star
    Voca_Star Posts: 140
    Options
    Bump - double apology :(((
  • SammiAlt
    Options
    Hey Voca_Star...I know how frustrating that must be! Do you wear a heart rate monitor? What is your heart rate at during the cardio? What type of circuit training are you doing?
  • chicadejmu
    chicadejmu Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I think you may not be eating enough. I would try to eat 1800 calories for awhile and see how that goes. But make sure that you are eating healthy foods such as fruits, veggies and whole grains.

I think you're taking a step in the right direction by adding strength training. Obviously adding muscle increases your metabolism.

If you still can't lose weight - visit your doctor and get some professional help. It could be something is out of whack with your body which is preventing you from losing weight.
    Hope that helps.
  • Voca_Star
    Options
    Hey Voca_Star...I know how frustrating that must be! Do you wear a heart rate monitor? What is your heart rate at during the cardio? What type of circuit training are you doing?

I do strength training + cardio for my circuit training, for about an hour, 2 days a week. I don't remember the exact number, but my heart rate IS in the "fat burning zone" during my cardio.
  • Voca_Star
    Options
    bumpp
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    You just started the strength training....give it a chance to work. Your body is still adapting.
  • MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are eating breakfast, then eating small amounts every 2-3 hours until dinner time. Do not eat anything 3-4 hours before bed. I am 5'3" also and weigh around 130 (which is where I am currently plateaued; 120 is my goal). I have raised my metabolism so it's higher than it ever has been, so I can still go over my calories and maintain rather than gain. Your workouts sound great, but don't forget to increase cardio time/intensity and also increase your weight lifting time/intensity every 2 weeks for maximum benefit. Our bodies adapt very quickly to workouts, so make sure you mix them up! Good luck on your weight loss and fitness goals. :wink:
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are eating breakfast, then eating small amounts every 2-3 hours until dinner time. Do not eat anything 3-4 hours before bed.

Why? These are just myths perpetuated by the breakfast industry, fitness magazines and health "gurus". There's no proof that doing these things will help with fat loss. There are many people here on MFP that don't eat breakfast and get all of their calories in 2-3 meals....and they've lost an awful lot of weight. Actually, some of them have busted through plateaus by doing this. I don't eat breakfast, and I only eat a couple meals in an 8hr window each day. The OP is on the right track with adding resistance training to her exercise regimen.