I just bought a spaghetti squash. Ideas? Recipes?

Options
monicalosesweight
monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
Hi everyone!
I picked one up today and so far, I've figured out how to cook it in the microwave but other than putting spaghetti sauce on it, I don't really know what to do with it. Does anyone have a good recipe or idea?

Replies

• mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I just bake mine or pop in microwave and eat it with butter, salt and pepper.
  • jawheb
    jawheb Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Stuffed spaghetti squash. Drizzle squash with oil of choice salt and pepper. Bake it and stuff it with ground meat of choice, stuffing or rice and dried cranberries. It's very good and my kids love it.
  • solskinnzombie
    solskinnzombie Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    One time my cousin and I baked the squash, and then shredded it into a bowl. We then made a "broccoli pesto" which was one stock of broccoli, lemon juice to taste, and crushed garlic to taste, boil it in a pot with a little water to moisten the process. You could potentially melt cheese into the pot of broccoli pesto as well. mix it with the spaghetti squash and diced/wedged tomatoes. I recall it being very delicious.
  • Vickied84
    Vickied84 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    This is my favorite and only recipe I have for spaghetti squash. A friend of mine created it. It's delicious!

1 whole spaghetti squash
    Boneless chicken breasts or tenders (12oz or so), cut into small pieces
    1/2 bag Frozen broccoli, cauliflower & carrot blend
    3/4 cup part-skim mozzarella cheese
    4 Laughing Cow garlic & herb cheese wedges
    Seasonings (I used oregano, basil, chives & black pepper)

Yields: approx 4 servings

Preheat oven to 350.
    Cut spaghetti squash in half length-wise, place open-side down on a cookie sheet (I put foil down first and sprayed it)
    Bake approx. 40 minutes, or until the edges are soft
    Remove from oven, and use a fork to remove the seeds (I found it easier to remove the seeds AFTER it was cooked than before, but whatever works for you)
    Once seeds are removed, take the fork and scrape out the insides, it will come out looking like spaghetti

I pre-cooked the chicken (cut it into small pieces) and veggies while spaghetti squash was in the oven.

After you remove the insides of the squash, mix in a skillet with the chicken, veggies, seasonings, mozzarella cheese and the cheese wedges until well-mixed & creamy - enjoy!!

Serving size: 1/4 recipe
    Estimated calories: 246
    7g fat
    15g carbs
    29g protein
    7g sugar
    429g sodium
  • ChristineMarie89
    ChristineMarie89 Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    just use it like pasta. anything u can put on pasta u can put on it :) i LOVE spaghetti squash
  • solskinnzombie
    solskinnzombie Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    This is my favorite and only recipe I have for spaghetti squash. A friend of mine created it. It's delicious!

1 whole spaghetti squash
    Boneless chicken breasts or tenders (12oz or so), cut into small pieces
    1/2 bag Frozen broccoli, cauliflower & carrot blend
    3/4 cup part-skim mozzarella cheese
    4 Laughing Cow garlic & herb cheese wedges
    Seasonings (I used oregano, basil, chives & black pepper)

Yields: approx 4 servings

Preheat oven to 350.
    Cut spaghetti squash in half length-wise, place open-side down on a cookie sheet (I put foil down first and sprayed it)
    Bake approx. 40 minutes, or until the edges are soft
    Remove from oven, and use a fork to remove the seeds (I found it easier to remove the seeds AFTER it was cooked than before, but whatever works for you)
    Once seeds are removed, take the fork and scrape out the insides, it will come out looking like spaghetti

I pre-cooked the chicken (cut it into small pieces) and veggies while spaghetti squash was in the oven.

After you remove the insides of the squash, mix in a skillet with the chicken, veggies, seasonings, mozzarella cheese and the cheese wedges until well-mixed & creamy - enjoy!!

Serving size: 1/4 recipe
    Estimated calories: 246
    7g fat
    15g carbs
    29g protein
    7g sugar
    429g sodium

That sounds amazing, I could subsitute the chicken for some tofu or seitan. mmmmm.... :) thanks for sharing.
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Yum! Those all sound so good! Wow. I'm going to have a hard time deciding what I want to do with it.
  • I_love_frogs
    I_love_frogs Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I bake mine, then shred it into the strands and

a) sprinkle grated parmesan cheese and balance margarine on it
    b) use it as noodles and cover it with a serving of spaghetti sauce
    c) again use as noodles and use a pesto sauce
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
  • kannemollen
    kannemollen Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    shrimp/chicken spaghetti squash alfredo! classico has pretty good alfredo sauce that's light in cals and suuuuper tasty! :)
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i slice mine in half or quarters, rub some coconut oil and salt on it, then just bake it til its squishy.

i use it for pasta for low carb chicken parm
  • rawfull
    rawfull Posts: 178
    Options
    I like this recipe http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Spaghetti-Squash-with-Mushrooms-and-Herbs-10315
    I've tried it, although I'm vegan, so I used mock Parmesan cheese...

Good luck with you squash... :)
  • salgalruns
    salgalruns Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Just finished 1/2 a squash for dinner tonight - microwaved it upside down in water for about 12-15 minutes and then drained, added spaghetti sauce and parmesean cheese. SUPER easy.

However, I just came across this link (thank you Pinterest) and can't wait to try these out - they look much better than my version.

http://www.marthastewart.com/275670/spaghetti-squash-recipes/@center/276955/seasonal-produce-recipe-guide
  • beekuzz
    beekuzz Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I'll have to try these. Thanks for the suggestions. I'm trying to branch out into the squash family and will try some spaghetti squash next.
  • conservativek
    conservativek Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Yes!! Yes!! I just made this meal recently, and thought it turned out great:

1) Cut squash in half lengthwise
    2) scoop out seeds/pith from the middle
    3) place squash halves flesh side up on a cookie sheet, drizzle with a little olive oil, salt.
    4) Place in oven set to 350. Bake for 45 min to an hour, until soft and lightly browned.
    6) Shred squash into "spaghetti" with a fork, top with your favorite spaghetti sauce and enjoy. I used a veggie-packed marinara, and topped with some grilled chicken.
    Of course it isn't good ol' spaghetti, but it's a pretty tasty substitute, and has less than 50 calories per cup. Hope this helps! :)
  • TXtstorm
    TXtstorm Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Second try... the first time MFP logged me out and ate my reply. :grumble:

I've done it with homemade spaghetti sauce, a few small meatballs, and shredded parmesan recently. It was quite good. Tried this in the past and was not so enthusiastic. I think I didn't cook the squash long enough that time. I also didn't toss the strands with salt and pepper before topping it the first time. Much better results this time arround!

Next time I plan to prepare it like a dish we used to make with conchiglie or orecchiette pasta. Bake the squash and cook up a pot of greens in vegetable stock or chicken broth... I usually use kale or chard, but you could use other dark, leafy greens. Chop the greens either before or after cooking as you'll want small pieces, drain, and set aside. Strip out the strands of squash and toss with salt and pepper. Remove sweet Italian sausage from the casing and cook it into crumbles. Drain some of the fat if the sausage renders a lot, or if it is low on fat, add a little olive oil to aid in the dressing of the squash. When the sausage is nearly done, toss in a generous amount of minced garlic. When that is complete, add in the cooked, drained greens and sautee for a few minutes, the add the squash strands and toss it all together. Top individual servings with some shredded parmesan. Hope that one turns out good.

As another poster mentioned, I'd like to try pesto on it. Serve the squash with pesto as a side, and serve with grilled chicken breast or seafood of some type (shrimp, scallops, or fish) and a salad with tomatoes. Yum!
  • Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I picked one up today and so far, I've figured out how to cook it in the microwave but other than putting spaghetti sauce on it, I don't really know what to do with it. Does anyone have a good recipe or idea?

Do you have some tomato-based pasta sauce? Try using the spaghetti squash with that instead of the pasta noodles.
  • sadeyedangel
    Options
    I LOVE spaghetti squash!

I usually bake mine for about an hour or so at 350 or boil it (poking a few holes to vent steam)

For a "dressing" I take about 1/4 cup olive oil and heat it up with some herbs (sage works well, as well as oregano) with a little minced fresh garlic. Split the squash in half, remove seeds, fork out the "spaghetti" and use as much or as little of the dressing as needed -- salt and pepper to taste :)
  • ChristenKay629
    ChristenKay629 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Last week I made the spaghetti squash lasagna from skinnytaste.com. It was excellent and very filling!
  • xoyasminxo
    xoyasminxo Posts: 132
    Options
    I love spaghetti squash. I bake mine and make a homemade pasta sauce. It is so good. However, I don't like spaghetti squash reheated. It is best day of making.