Meal replacement shakes -- buh-bye Shakeology :(

Options

Replies

• rayraygbs
    Options
    I use arbonne protein shakes. i don't know if i'd call it a meal replacement yet. right now i eat a small bowl of total or other boring cereal, drop off kid at daycare and then do my c25k run. then i come home and mix up a protein shake. it's only 160 calories for 2 scoops, you can use water or milk which will up the calories, but it's 20g of vegan protein (i'm not a vegan, but it is good proteins) i think i want to start using the mix and making green smoothies with spinach and fruits which then it would replace all my breakfast.
  • innocenceportrayed
    innocenceportrayed Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I use Eas AdvantEdge Vanilla Soy Protein powder with 6-8 ounces 2% cow milk and a half cup of strawberries and I love it.
    I've also had the Special K protein shakes which are decent too.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Syntha -6 is really tasty as far as protein goes. I actually tried an egg protein powder by Dymatize. Rich chocolate. it is not good to blend, just a shaker bottle. It froths up quite well.

As far as smoothies go... Adding nut butters & high sugar fruits make me feel like I am peddling backwards. Adding lots of extraneous calories is what I am fighting against.
    I have instead gotten in the habit of using coconut water as my base . After a HARD workout, the electrolytes delivered , plus the nutrition from the protein powder really help fight against lactic acid headaches , at least that is what works for me...
    Be sure you are getting coconut WATER, not juice. . Look in the ethnic food isles to avoid the super pricey flashy new box/bottle coconut water.

I add greens to my protein smoothies. Spinach, kale, and parsley are my favorites. I also like to put in some fresh squeezed lime or lemon juice. Other veggies that are good in sweet smoothies: cucumber, celery, pumpkin, squash, zucchini, carrots, beets, sweet peppers, and any leafy greens. Low in calories and high in nutrients, adding veggies to smoothies is the way to go.
  • kellygirl1965
    Options
    have you ever read the ingredients in a slim fast can bad bad bad soooo bad for you you should try jay robb shakes they are yummy and use stevia for sweetner which doesnt raise your bloodsugar
  • stephvaile
    stephvaile Posts: 298
    Options
    have you ever read the ingredients in a slim fast can bad bad bad soooo bad for you you should try jay robb shakes they are yummy and use stevia for sweetner which doesnt raise your bloodsugar

can u tell me what is in slimfast that raises your blood sugar . i realise its high in sugars and sweeteners but diebetics can and do use artificial sweetener.

i also understand alot of people are trying to eat as clean as possible and thats great .

but i have used artificial sweeteners for alot of years i can,t live without them and i have used this product for years and my bloodsugar isn,t raised . i realise not everyone reacts in the same way which ingredient do you mean
  • Chou_In_Motion
    Options
    I heard Shakeology is great, and that it really works. I have not tried it yet, do to the cost. I just bought and tried, Vitamin Shoppe Designer Whey Protein strawberry powder. I tried one scoop with water. I am sure it would taste better if I made a banana smoothie. There is a recipe on the can. Make sure you buy the right type of re-placement shakes, some will add weight on you.
  • futureonfire
    futureonfire Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I thought about trying Shakeology and decided against it. I've tried so many different shakes and was left bloated, or hungry right after, etc. I finally broke down and tried Isagenix shakes and I LOVE them. I am doing the 30 day cleanse program, but you can just get the shakes. They are meal replacements and help curb cravings. I actually haven't had any cravings since starting the program and they taste great too. If you want to try I'm sure there is a way you can order from me, but I'm not sure how! lol I've lost 11 pounds since being on the program and still have 12 days to go. Best thing I've ever tried. I finally feel in control of my eating again.

Also - I make my shakes with 1/2 cup Trader Joes unsweetened coconut milk and 1/2 cup water and ice. It's 270 calories.
  • sbilyeu75
    sbilyeu75 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Syntha-6 chocolate shake. Yum!
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I'll give you one NOT to use....

Optimum Nutrition's Gold Standard 100% Whey Protein is GROSSSSSSSSSSS :sick:

It's effective, however, at helping meet macro goals when you're trying to eat clean. I don't "replace meals", I supplement my protein. Usually I'm drinking my protein shake with an apple or peanut butter on the side (or both).

My favorite "shake" (we'll call it that) has been Nectar made by Syntrax. Very easy on the stomach, great tasting, and wonderful for supplementing protein. www.si03.com
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

I actually love ON whey. Great stuff, and their customer service is excellent.

Also:
    6riyvr.jpg
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options

I actually love ON whey. Great stuff, and their customer service is excellent.

Also:
    6riyvr.jpg

Well, there's something for everyone, I suppose. I've tasted whey *get it?* better. Try Syntrax. It will blow your mind (and your budget, too).
  • Stephanie_Autry
    Stephanie_Autry Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    When, I'm on the go & don't have time to make a meal- then, I have a calorie smart boost shake. Vanilla or chocolate both taste like milkshakes to me & help me stay full for half the day.
  • LesaDave
    LesaDave Posts: 1,480 Member
    Options
    I use Herbalife and really like it. Many different ways to make the shakes and they taste good! Also they have nutrition clubs so you can go in and have a tea and shake! its a healthy DQ!

Me too!! I like Herbalife because (so far) I have about 90 different recipes that I can choose from. I like the variety, and new recipes come out every month. From pumpkin pie to key lime pie to orange sherbet to English toffee cappuccino to taffy apple to cherry dilly bar to reeces peanut butter cup to snickers to eggnog...I can go on and on.

I make a double recipe in the morning, one for breakfast and one for lunch. I use water instead of milk. And I average about 220 calories for each. I rarely need sweeteners, but I use stevia for like the cinnamon bun.
  • sharpeoplepc
    sharpeoplepc Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I like Body Fortress Whey Protein, Chocolate Peanut Butter. It's $14.99 at Walmart and has 24 - 140 calorie servings. I have one after my workout.
  • jenniferlthomas0305
    jenniferlthomas0305 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I didn't like the Superfood Formula at first, either. But, through some recommendations, I've found that it tastes just as good as the original Chocolate if it's blended with a little honey and some natural PB. Others have also recommended a little nutella, adding cocoa powder and honey or adding natural PB and 1/2 a banana.
  • runfreddyrun
    runfreddyrun Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    i love walker diet in chocolate. you can get it for a little under $1 a serving which is 4x less than shakeology. It's low sugar/carb, with a decent amount of protein and other vitamins.

i highly recommend.
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    I tried the reg chocolate shakeoloy quite a while ago, probably back in 2011 & honestly, I hated it. It probably was the old formula but still not my thing.
    I use pure protein frosty chocolate. If you mix it with a cup of vanilla almond milk and lots of ice, it's tastes EXACTLY like a choco milkshake to me.
    I also use another recipe. 1 cup of unsweetened almond milk, 1 tbsp of pb, some strawberries and ice . This one is less sweet but still super yummy!
  • jhuver
    jhuver Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I tried a new smoothie and I love it. It's a handful of baby spinach, half a cup of pineapple chunks, half a cup of fat free yogurt (plain), a banana, and four to five ice cubes, then blend. It tastes really good and its a good way to get fruits and veggies in. If I don't drink that then I use syntha-6 strawberry milkshake. It doens't taste chalky like muscle milk does. I'm still new to all this and trying different things, but this seems to be helping me lose weight
  • jenniferstanton
    jenniferstanton Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • blueroses_78
    Options
    I use Syntrax or Isopure. They're low carb and pretty tasty. I drink 2 or 3 a day.