Wheat Withdrawal Symptoms?

Options
2»

Replies

• johannasmith
    johannasmith Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I went through something similar in giving up yeast and sugar once. When you do a Keto diet you can get the Keto flu as well.
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Sounds like the "gluten withdrawal flu" but then you compounded it with the caffeine and the sugar withdrawals, so you were coming off 3 drugs at once, yikes. All three at once were a heck of a detox, hope you drank tons of water while you were detoxing.

As you stay gluten free don't get bored with eating salads there are tons of wonderful gluten free breads, pastas, and treats, yes most of them have sugar so you will have to decide which ones are safe, but there are options now, should have been me 13 years ago when I went gluten free, there wasn't much in those days.
  • motown_groove
    motown_groove Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I found (after several failed attempts to go get off caffine) that the best way was to mix decafinated coffee granuals with caffinated. Each time I bought a new jar of decaff coffee i'd top up the old jar and shake it up abit ...eventually you'll end up with just defcaff coffee and have not experienced the withdrawal symptoms at all.

Wheat is my demon drug ... i'm still working on that one and failing miserably!
  • Ange03063
    Ange03063 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's wheat withdrawal symptoms. I'm gluten intolerant, so the second I got rid of the gluten that was in my diet (and that was definitely a challenge because I'm a carbaholic!), I felt so much better. It might be withdrawal from sugar/carbs in general. My husband and I went on a low carb diet a few years ago and he experienced a lot of the symptoms you're dealing with. While it's great to eliminate the wheat from your diet, you don't need to get rid of carbs entirely. You can still eat brown rice, potatoes (I especially love sweet potatoes), and my favorite, quinoa.

Or it's possibly the caffeine. Many people get terrible withdrawal symptoms from cutting out coffee. Yes, caffeine is a drug! I would say slowly cut back on the caffein intake per day until you eliminate it entirely. You don't need to be feeling the way you are! Best of luck!
  • Yardtigress
    Yardtigress Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I gave up wheat on aug 6th. I didn't have any of those symptoms, I guess I was lucky. I gave up wheat because I am a diabetic and wheat products make my blood sugar go up. The amounts of veggies you can have for the same number of carbs and calories is great. I will never go back to wheat products. And my blood sugar is down, way down.
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Caffeine withdrawal is a ***** but that sounds like the flu.
  • jlmoses91
    jlmoses91 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I had the exact same thing when I had the HCG Diet. Mine lasted about 3 days, and i felt like I was dieing half of the time! Just push through, you have been eating wheat your entire life and now you just cut yourself off. Give yourself time to recover!
  • pradamary
    pradamary Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have been of wheat and gluten for a week plus a few days. I've had constant stomach pain, diarrhea and malaise. Today it was so bad I had to leave work early. I have been using some "gluten free" products and wonder if these carbohydrates are making things worse. I've started on a probiotic this afternoon and some alk seltzer to alkalanize my body and I'm feeling better tonight. Starting tomorrow I'm eating only single ingredient foods, Lean proteins, veg and fruit. I had no idea it would be this tough. I am NOT experiencing any craving for wheat, which is good, and I'm sleeping better but wow!! I had no idea.