Running a 5K--am I stupid?

Options
Friends, I recently signed up for a 5K run/walk. The race is on September 23 and the course is relatively flat. I've never done a 5K before, and I've only been doing Couch-to-5K sporadically. Now, though, I am planning to begin training pretty hard. I am on week 3 right now, and it's fairly easy. I've been running after the couch to 5K workout, just to see how long I can go, and I'm at about 6-8 minutes. I'm a BIG girl, so I'm just wondering if I've made a mistake signing up for this race. I'm nervous! I've never done anything like this before, I can't run a mile without stopping, and I'm pretty sure that I am slooow. I have this vision of still being on the course as night falls and the clean-up crew has arrived :)

Tell me: is this a bad idea? Yes or no, do you have any tips or advice for training, experience as a bigger person running races, how to run longer distances, not being the fat girl finishing last, etc.? :)

Replies

• stephmo86
    Options
    You can do it!! It's not stupid, just do your best, stick to a training schedule, and be proud when you get there (and finish):-)

I'm running one on September 22:-) Also, have friends sign up with you! They'll be great encouragement!
  • sarahbethrn18
    sarahbethrn18 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Girl, no it's not stupid!! It's AWESOME! There will more than likely be people walking the entire 5K so I doubt you will finish last. Don't worry about that. Go, do your best, have a blast, and be so totally proud of yourself for doing this!
  • ksm_623
    ksm_623 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    You can do this! I ran my first 5k at about 210. I definitely couldn't run a mile without stopping. You just have choose a training schedule and stick with it. A goal without a plan is just a wish. Get out there and make it happen :)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    You've got almost 5 weeks to get ready, work your program and try your best. If you have to take walking breaks take them, if you're slow don't worry about it (you're still going faster that the couch potatoes). Your only goal for your first race is to finish with a smile on your face (I doubt you'll be last - most races have a contingent of walkers - but even if you were it doesn't matter, you're getting out there and making positive changes)

BTW - I weighed about 235 and was 52 years old when I ran my first 5K, I'll be running my 4th half-marathon Sept 23rd.)
  • sarafil
    sarafil Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    You can totally do this. And remember, it is NOT a failure to take a walk break if you need it. There are whole running plans that use walk breaks, even for marathons. I think you will surprise yourself, though. Just remember on the day of the race, start out slow....it's very easy to get carried away in the beginning and go out too fast. And like others have said, there will be a lot of people who are walking the entire thing, and you will NOT be last. Train for it, but make sure you train smart...don't run every day, don't increase your distance too quickly, and make sure you have been fitted for good shoes. Have fun, you will love it!
  • NJL13500
    NJL13500 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I think it's awesome. I walked a whole marathon once. It took me 7 hours, but I finished. Go at your own pace. You will see all sizes and shapes and ability levels at a 5k race. Enjoy!
  • danimal5867
    Options
    It wasn't much more than five weeks ago that I was only running 3 three minutes for every six that I walked. Now when I start out, I walk about half a mile and then run for 4 or 5 before I take a break to walk a while. My current personal best for 5K is about 33 minutes. My best advice is just keep pushing yourself a little bit farther each day and take a rest day when your legs tell you they need it.
  • jadesign19
    jadesign19 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Nope - not stupid. In fact the opposite. This will be a new beginning for you. Next year you'll be looking at 10k's. :drinker:
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    Aw, not at all stupid! That's awesome--if you're just starting to walk/run/workout, having a clear goal (a race date) gives you something to work toward.

Invite friends to join you, having company is a lot more fun! If you can currently run 6-8 minutes without stopping, even if you improve between now and then just plan on doing that and give yourself 1-2 minute walking breaks to catch your breath. Also walk through any water station (s) if they offer one (some 5ks do, some don't). Or just walk as much as you need to. Plan to have fun and don't worry about your time.

Good luck! You can totally do this!
  • Sarah_Wins
    Sarah_Wins Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    You've got weeks, no big deal! And trust me, there will be a whole crowd of people that walk the entire thing, so you're automatically doing better than they are. Just train as you can, read _JR_'s tips for first time racers, and you'll do great!!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/279198-running-tip-so-you-are-about-to-do-your-first-race
  • gungho66
    gungho66 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    one day at a time, be proud
  • Kimberly_SoCal
    Options
    I have a 5K that I plan to walk on September 1st. I started out on the treadmill taking it s-l-o-w. Now I have more stamina. I am happy to walk the 5K because I've never accomplished anything "major" regarding fitness (except for joining the gym). Just getting a T-shirt and a medal will make my day. My brother is running the 10K. We're just at different fitness levels. I will just be happy to find the finish line and say that I did it - regardless if I ran or walked it.
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Not stupid or a mistake. It's great to have a goal with a deadline, gives motivation! This Spring I did the same and it drove my training. I ended up signing up for a 5k two weeks before the original race.
  • LoNCole
    LoNCole Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    You can so do this! I am also doing the c25k and just finished week 3 and start week 4 on Monday. I am signed up for a 5k on the 15 th of Sept., I will have just finished week 7. You should have just finished week 8 and should do great in your 5k! Just stick with it!

Feel free to add me and we can check up on each other. :)
  • selig0730
    selig0730 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    your not stupid, you have over a month to train and if you can run some you wont finish last, some people will most likely walk the whole thing, and even if your last its ok as long as you have fun. its alot better then staying at home and not doing it at all. after you do it mostly likely you will like it but try to better in your time. my first one i did 54 mins, 2nd 45 mins and then 3rd time was 33 mins and each time ran more each time but didnt run the whole thing. have fun and good luck you will be fine :)

ps you can add me if you want
  • loadsandloads
    loadsandloads Posts: 353 Member
    Options

Tell me: is this a bad idea? Yes or no, do you have any tips or advice for training, experience as a bigger person running races, how to run longer distances, not being the fat girl finishing last, etc.? :)

I did a 5K at 300lbs. It was not running as I'm not interested in running but I finished and I wasn't last! The important thing for me is to finish. With all you are doing this will just add to your list of accomplishments.

You got this!
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options

Yes it's a bad idea. They can get addicting and you'll wanna keep doing more and more. :happy: Tips and advice? Don't worry about being last. Don't worry about speed. Don't worry if you need to take a walk break. Add in hills to help. Doesn't need to be big or long ones, mix up the terrain. Enjoy yourself. I started at 400 lbs. I just mixed in very short intervals 15-20 seconds of jogging with tons of walking. I didn't do my actual first 5K until my lower 300's. I set a goal of finshing in 1 hour or less and I did. I still took a few walk breaks. I'm slow but I don't care. I enjoy it so I still do them.
  • Ange03063
    Ange03063 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    It's not stupid at all. I'm a bit bigger myself (5'9", 217 lbs) and I'm just starting to run again (I used to pretty consistently about 2 years ago). And it's a slow process. I can run without stopping if I REALLY push for 20 minutes. My fastest mile so far is 13:20. I used to run a 10 minute mile in high school!

Anyway, I'm signing up for a 5K for Columbus Day weekend. I just moved down to MD and there aren't any 5Ks coming up down here, so I'm planning on doing one when we're up in MA visiting family that weekend. And I'm SCARED! But I know I need to face my fear and step up to the challenge, so I'm saying the same to you. It doesn't matter how you finish that 5K. Whether you run the whole thing or run for 5 minutes, walk for 5 minutes and repeat. The point is that you're taking the plunge and doing something you've never done before. I'd say make sure you stay hydrated, put together a great running/walking mix to keep you going, and see if you can get some friends/family to join you or cheer for you at the finish line.

Best of luck! You can do it!
  • Meloyelo2010
    Meloyelo2010 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I finished my first 5k trail race yesterday after 2 months of training! You can do it I vaguely followed Hal Higon's 5k Novice program but pushed harder some days and lighter others. You will be so proud you did :) Good luck!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    It's a great idea - having a race as a goal is a great way for me to stay focussed and motivated to train.
    You'll probably want to plan to run /walk, and I suggest you build up your distance gradually - pushing it too hard too fast is going to put you at risk of injury.
    Enjoy!!