Meal replacement shakes -- buh-bye Shakeology :(

Options

Replies

• DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    for flavor and texture, I love Isopure Zero. I'm working through some Dymatize right now. The blueberry isn't a favorite, but I'm willing to polish it off and give another flavor a go.
    For a protein powder with a clean ingredient list, try Sun Warrior warrior blend in vanilla.
  • minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I've tried a variety of brands but haven't really found a favorite. My own needs are to have over 20 grams of protein and less than 4 carbs per serving so taste gets a back seat. My current favorite because it tastes the most like chocolate and doesn't smell chemically to me is Nature's Best Isopure low carb dutch chocolate 110 cal, 25g protein 1.5 carbs, if I have room for more calories/carbs I will mix it with milk but usually I mix it in cold water, the colder the better.
  • thephysiquemechanic
    thephysiquemechanic Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I like to eat my food.

I take whey protein to help me reach my protein macro for the day, unless I can do so through whole foods.

Best way to do it man. whole foods is the way to go
  • TallCurvyMuscles
    Options
    I prefer to chew my protein, never could get into protein shakes
  • cbaac03
    cbaac03 Posts: 152
    Options
    I make shakes with Designer Whey Vanilla. I love Dashing Dish protein shake recipes.

http://dashingdish.com/recipes/shakes/
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    If you like chocolate milk - why not drink chocolate milk???
    And eat food???
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I prefer to eat food, too, but on days when I just need more protein without a lot of calories*, I use Target's Market Pantry brand vanilla whey. It's only about $18 a tub, and while it's not "OMG this is the best stuff I've ever had," it's definitely drinkable. And really good if you mix it with chocolate milk.

* For instance, when I make meatballs. 400 calories of my homemade meatballs & marinara sauce only has 35 g of protein. And I think that's about 6 meatballs, using about a third of a pound of beef. If I need another 35g of protein to reach my goal, I'd rather have a scoop of whey in skim milk for about 200 calories. Because I don't think I could eat a dozen meatballs in one sitting.
  • stephvaile
    stephvaile Posts: 298
    Options
    alot of these i don,t think you can get in the uk
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Lot less calories in almond milk. That's why I personally use it in my shakes. Plus less dairy issues if that matters to you.

I discovered almond milk recently. LOVED it..

Then I realized there's no protein in it, and that's the whole reason I'm using it in my shakes.

I almost cried :(
  • stephvaile
    stephvaile Posts: 298
    Options
    Lot less calories in almond milk. That's why I personally use it in my shakes. Plus less dairy issues if that matters to you.

Then I realized there's no protein in it, and that's the whole reason I'm using it in my shakes.

try oatmilk personally i love oatmilk and it makes shakes slightly thicker great on cereal iv added some facts for u to read about it

Photo Credit girl with milk-moustache holding glass of milk image by Nikolay Okhitin from Fotolia.com
    Oat milk is a tasty vegan alternative to dairy milks, and it is also nutritious. Oat milk is made with pre-soaked oat groats, which are hulled grains broken into fragments. Oat milk features a mild, slightly sweet taste, which substitutes well for low-fat or skim milk. Oat milk can also be used in the same way as rice milk or soy milk. Western herbalists recommend oat milk as a tonic for the nervous system. Oat milk is very low in fat and lactose free.
    VITAMINS AND MINERALS
    One benefit to drinking oat milk is its nutritional content. According to the website Soymilkquick.com, oat milk contains 10 minerals and 15 vitamins. Just a cup of oat milk contains 36 percent of the recommended daily allowance, or RDA, of calcium. Oat milk also contains 10 percent of the RDA for vitamin A, which is twice as much as cow's milk. If you suffer from anemia and are looking for vegan options for iron intake, one serving of oat milk contains 10 percent of the RDA.

LACTOSE FREE AND CALCIUM-RICH
    A surprising fact about oat milk is that it contains more calcium in one serving than regular cow's milk. Oat milk contains 36 percent of the RDA for calcium, while one serving of whole milk contains 28 percent. This fact allows you to get a good dose of calcium each day even if you are lactose intolerant, since oat milk is lactose-free. Many people who are lactose intolerant choose other sources for lactose-free milk, such as rice milk or soy milk. Oat milk might be a better choice for you, because it's typically cheaper to buy, or you can even make it yourself.
    LOW FAT
    Not only is oat milk lactose-free and full of many vitamins and minerals, but if you are watching your weight, you will be happy to know that it is extremely low in fat. According to Fatsecret.com, one serving of oat milk contains only 2.5g of fat, and it has no saturated fat at all. Comparatively, one serving of whole milk contains 8g of fat and 5g of saturated fat. If you are worried about weight gain, you will be glad to know that oat milk is also lower in calories than many other types of milk.
    CHOLESTEROL FREE
    Since oat milk is made only from grains, it is a great option for vegetarians and vegans. Another benefit of drinking a grain-based beverage: no cholesterol; compare that with regular whole milk from cows, which contains 24mg of cholesterol per serving.
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I bought some sunflower milk today, I'm excited to try it.
  • pstansel74
    pstansel74 Posts: 130 Member
    Options

I use protein powder anyway in my shakes so its no real loss, and I am after the healthy fats more than the protein content :)
  • Kellibuzz
    Options
    Hey, there--you might try Shakeology again. I just did the panel taste test to improve the Superfood formula and it will be delish! Not sure when the improvements going into the formula but should be soon. Something to think about! Cheers!
  • TjDee
    TjDee Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I love Shakeology. People just need to give the new Superfood formula a chance. I didn't like the original formula the first week I drank it and then I became addicted. Just give it time and let your taste buds get used to it. Nothing matches Shakeology when it comes to ingredients.
  • acasper3
    acasper3 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    What brand is it and what country do you live in?
  • Amberh82
    Amberh82 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    FYI - They have changed the Shakeology formula again right around Christmas time. Guess enough people complained. It tastes A LOT better now! I was going to cancel on my old one too
  • danmcgarrigle5
    Options
    I like Ensure, it was recommended by my dietician/nutritionist and she gives me coupons. When the coupons run out I use the generic "top care" store brand and they are almost as good flavor wise, and the same nutrition wise
  • jwrivers
    jwrivers Posts: 3
    Options
    Have you tried the "Customer Approved" Chocolate Formula?
  • 08kat
    08kat Posts: 51
    Options
    Costco Cytosport 100% Whey Protein is a powdered mix that blends very well, no chocolately clumps of powder. Very tasty and economic. On the go, I like Atkins Milk Chocolate shakes. Good luck!!
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    Have you tried the "Customer Approved" Chocolate Formula?

strong bump