Post Gallbladder Surgery Diet

Options
I had my gallbladder removed in July 2010. Now, over 2 years later, I still have trouble finding foods to eat that won't irritate my digestive system. Unless I eat starchy foods full of carbohydrates, I can gurantee I am going to get sick at some point throughout the day. It is very embarrassing for me and it also makes it very difficult to try and lose weight.

Things that I had a difficult time digesting:

- dairy
- fruit
- most green vegetables
- lunch meat (occasionally)

Has anyone experienced this before and what foods did you find worked for you? I know each situation varies person to person but I NEED HELP! Because I also get very discouraged...I have not lost any weight in about 3 weeks and I am starting to lose motivation.

Replies

• yourenotmine
    yourenotmine Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Does it help at all, with the fruit and veg, if you puree it? Like making a smoothie, I mean? I just wondered if that would break down some of the fibrous structure and make it easier to digest...
  • nlwilliamson
    nlwilliamson Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem, I can drink water and it will go straight through me. I've been taking a generic probiotic and it seems to help a lot after a week or so of taking it my gut settled down, its a horrible thing and after looking it up online I found its called dumping syndrome, typically get it after gall bladder removal. Very appropriately named huh :( it sucks but each person will be different as to what sets your gut off. Don't loose motivation, you will get through it, try talking to your doctor about it and see if they can help, mine put me on a medicine that helps to settle the gut and makes it easier to eat most foods.

It is a very embarrassing problem, it stopped me from going out with friends and had me pretty much house bound for over a year until I found a way to help control it. add me if you like, i can help you stay motivated!
  • mdmorgan25
    mdmorgan25 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi! I just had my gallbladder out in June. It was the best thing I ever did! I believe it was keeping me from losing weight because it wasn't even working. My suggestion would be to try taking a probiotic. I started taking one before I had my surgery and it helped with the digestive issues I was having. My gallbladder being removed cured them, but if I don't take my probiotic my belly gets upset too. I don't use a particular brand, Align is very expensive so I don't buy that one. The new Trubiotic supplement from One A Day isn't too pricey. They all have basically the same ingredients I have found. Best wishes!
  • jennismagic
    jennismagic Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I had mine out in April. The only foods that get me in trouble are really fatty ones. It's like my body can't tolerate them anymore. I had a cheeseburger at a local place I've been going to forever, and my body rejected it immediately. I thought it would be okay, considering that I've had cheeseburgers since my surgery, but I guess not.
  • lsjd2000
    lsjd2000 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    i had mine out in 2003 after having my 2nd child (about 6mths after) I have probs with dairy, high fat foods, veggies (esp saleds) etc I tend to keep imodium on hand and make sure I am near a bathroom any time I eat. -I also have noticed since having it out I have more heartburn then I did before -not sure if that is related or not.
  • jobee3
    jobee3 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Have you talked to your gastro? Ask him/her about Cholestrymine. It tastes awful, but it helps.

I had mine out last summer, and it was basically a nightmare. I won't bore you or scare you with the details, but things that I've learned since then:
    - eating verrrrry slowly helps a lot. And I mean slow.
    - going gluten free helped a TON

The bottom line is this: you know your body better than anyone. If you don't feel like your doctor is addressing your questions, see a different one and find one who will listen and take your concerns seriously.
  • rissie1121
    rissie1121 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I just had mine taken out last week due to it not working properly and giving me bad attacks. Since then I'm finally on the other side of 170! I weighed in this morning at 167! I really do think this helped a lot! I was just stuck there and couldn't seem to get passed it. Even better I don't have to worry about it causing me pain anymore... It was like I wanted to die! Just thought I'd share my story!
    Happy Loosing! :bigsmile:
  • 19547five
    Options
    Omg you guys are scarrying me...is it that bad I just got the bad news last week mine has to come out too...is it bad the surgery?? I am scared outta my wits!! He said I have multiple stones I have to go tomorrow for another test where they gonna inject me with something ....I already had an ultra sound now another test. And does it hurt I've never had surgery!!
  • MrsCCWoods
    MrsCCWoods Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I have to have the surgery done and i am scared to death some people say it's not to bad and after i have it done i won't be sick anymore but i don't know
  • miss_erynn
    miss_erynn Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I had gastric bypass surgery in March of this year (down 72lbs!) and experience gastric dumping syndrome (which sounds like what you dealt with) with what I feel like is almost EVERYTHING. I cannot eat:

-meat of any kind, including fish (though shrimp is okay mostly because it is very mild)
    -milk/icecream (Greek yogurt and light cheeses are okay)
    -rice (both brown and white)
    -pasta
    -white potatoes
    -bread
    -eggs
    -fried foods
    -high-fat foods
    -sugar/foods with sugars over 25g in one serving
    -lettuce - this is terrible for me

I've had to basically go by trial and error for what works for me, but I'd suggest incorporating beans if you like them - garbanzo (chickpeas), black beans, white beans, pinto beans, kidney beans. Try mixing them with some corn and salsa. Summer Fresh and Fontaine Sante make great bean and grain salads. I eat a TON of hummus and can live on Crunchmaster gluten-free multigrain crackers (seriously, try them!). I eat Babybel light cheeses. I am a vegetarian and swear by Boca meatless veggie burgers, quesadillas, sweet potatoes. If you can stomach tofu, try House Foods Tofu Shirataki Noodles. Sooo good!

Everyone is different and you really just gotta try to see what works for you. You know what will and what definitely won't!