for those who cant afford protein shakes.

2»

Replies

• marsellient
    marsellient Posts: 591 Member
    This seems like a good place to ask this question. It's something I've been wondering for quite awhile.

So here goes... What is the role of protein powder in your diet? I understand that people who are trying to build muscle and do a lot of lifting want extra protein, and perhaps someone who is vegan/vegetarian might use protein powder to ensure adequate protein, but otherwise, why do you use it? I'm curious as I see a lot of discussion about protein shakes and what seems like a wide range of people who use them.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    OK, if you can afford to buy free range eggs, icecream, and organic milk - you can afford protein powder.
    This. I don't know what "expensive" protein powder you are buying (maybe Vega Sport Performance) but there are plenty high-quality brands out there that go for 35-60 cents at 24g of protein per serving depending on protein source (egg, brown rice, hemp, whey, milk protein isolate, etc). Whole foods, although a main source of protein, just can not compare value-wise.

The cheapest route is to buy a non-commercial brand from custom-protein-blend sites such as truenutrition.com.
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Is protein powder something that can be shipped overseas? I'd have to think shipping costs still wouldn't be too bad vs. local prices if bought online, but I'm guessing there are duty fees or something that accounts for this.
  • urglewurgle
    urglewurgle Posts: 224 Member
    not been funny but protein shake were i live UK NOT US is £35 a box.

free range eggs are £1.
    milk is £1
    and ice cream s £1

thats £3 for me ...

if you dont have positive comments dont post on here
    i dident ask weather u cud afford it or not , its for people who cant

rant over.

I just remembered, the whey protein is half price in holland and barratt Hun, £18!
  • geekyjock76
    A friend of mine in Japan says there aren't many sports nutrition companies there, and the grams per serving tend to be very low in comparison to US based manufacturers-Most importantly, they are very expensive. Even though she has to pay $20 shipping from bodybuilding.com, it's still far cheaper than buying domestic Japanese brands for her.
  • If you are using the whole egg, the yolk of an egg has 1.5g saturated fat, and though it may be minimal from the ice cream bc it's a very small amount I'm sure there is saturated fat from that as well... unless they have come up with some way to eliminate saturated fat from egg yolk? Or I read incorrectly.
  • IF YOU CAN'T SAY SOMETHING NICE...THEN DON'T SAY NOTHING AT ALL!!!!

IF YOU CAN'T POST SOMETHING KIND...THEN DON'T POST ANYTHING IN REPLY! JUST READ IT AND MOVE ON!!!!

WHAT A BUNCH OF FREAKING CONTROL FREAKS THIS SITE HAS!!!!

Control freak, much. LOL

Oh, and by the by - the information is incorrect as per the title of the thread. It is a more expensive alternative to protein powders.

A can of Organic Adzuki beans at 0.85p is a far better alternative and provides all the Essential Amino Acids for a person weighing 75 kilos. Dried Adzuki beans are even cheaper.

6 pints of full fat milk is only 1.49p and that has just about all the protein and fat you can handle for the day. Depending on your goals, of course.

What you may have meant is for those who cannot afford to bulk buy protein powder. Well my advise is, save up for it because whey protein is cheap. Although considering worldwide overproduction of milk, why whey is going up in price and not down is a mystery - also why so much dodgy protein filler like Taurine. Hey Ho.
  • geekyjock76
    OP, since you are in the UK, you should look into this custom protein supplier in the UK:

http://www.myprotein.com/uk/

Their prices per 2.2 lbs (kg) is on par with that of the US company I buy from.
  • ashleen7
    ashleen7 Posts: 258 Member
    Wow some people can be hyper-sensitive, I don't think anyone was being particularly rude just offering different options/opinions and a few posters completely blew up!! Chill people, just because someone offers a different view doesn't mean they are being rude. By the way, I want to start upping my protein so will be looking into a few of the sites recommended here, cos Ireland like the Uk, the protein shakes are pretty expensive. Good idea of the OP to look into alternatives, but I don't like ice-cream and can't stand eggs! Lol!
  • thanks for everyone who posted very positive comments !!

my intetion was to merely point out a recipe for people who cant afford protein shakes weather in bulk or indivdually.

im not claiming it to be a "super recipe" or anything like that im just pointing out that its a alternative to other things .

im not forcing anyone to use it , and im not asking anyone to overr analayse my recipe for its nutriton lol

i dont like negative comments on a post that was meant to help people .

if you really dont like it dont comment.
  • gdmanley
    gdmanley Posts: 17 Member
    Regardles of your religion/non-religion, I just watched Hillsong and it was about seeing the positive in things and not the negative. OP; thanks for the post and I am glad you found something that works for you and were willing to share. I am 100% disabled and fully understand the cost obstacles of trying to eat healthy. Thanks, again!
  • no problem gdmanley - hope it helps x
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    i never buy ready made protein drinks. I always make my own. You can get protein powder on sale, too.
  • rachelbethany
    rachelbethany Posts: 211 Member
    not been funny but protein shake were i live UK NOT US is £35 a box.

free range eggs are £1.
    milk is £1
    and ice cream s £1

thats £3 for me ...

if you dont have positive comments dont post on here
    i dident ask weather u cud afford it or not , its for people who cant

rant over.

That's awesome! But I honestly just think people were confused because in the states, the prices are MUCH different. Where I live, free range eggs are around $4, milk is at least a couple dollars-- more if you're going with organic or almond or something-- and ice cream is a couple dollars as well. And the protein shake mix is cheaper.
  • rachelbethany
    rachelbethany Posts: 211 Member
    This seems like a good place to ask this question. It's something I've been wondering for quite awhile.

So here goes... What is the role of protein powder in your diet? I understand that people who are trying to build muscle and do a lot of lifting want extra protein, and perhaps someone who is vegan/vegetarian might use protein powder to ensure adequate protein, but otherwise, why do you use it? I'm curious as I see a lot of discussion about protein shakes and what seems like a wide range of people who use them.

I'm not a vegetarian, but I rarely eat meat due to cost and taste, so I could certainly use my protein in my diet. I think a lot of people just don't get enough, even the recommended daily allowance. I just don't really like meat, and I get tired go eggs/nuts (and I'm lactose-intolerant, so milk/cheese is out), so I'm definitely interested in adding some protein shakes to my diet, especially on days I'm exercising a lot.
  • marsellient
    marsellient Posts: 591 Member

I'm not a vegetarian, but I rarely eat meat due to cost and taste, so I could certainly use my protein in my diet. I think a lot of people just don't get enough, even the recommended daily allowance. I just don't really like meat, and I get tired go eggs/nuts (and I'm lactose-intolerant, so milk/cheese is out), so I'm definitely interested in adding some protein shakes to my diet, especially on days I'm exercising a lot.

Thanks for the reply.
  • ksz1104
    ksz1104 Posts: 260 Member
    OK, if you can afford to buy free range eggs, icecream, and organic milk - you can afford protein powder. I get protein powder at wal mart - body fortress. its $14.88 for 2lbs which is 27 1 scoop servings.... So I don't see how your 'cheap' protein shake is any cheaper, or any better -- 1 scoop of protein powder (of this brand anyways) is about 26g of protein..... so the EGG and ICECREAM protein shake doesn't compare. sorry. My go-to shake is.....

1 scoop protein powder $.55/serving
    1/4 cup canned pumpkin $.20/serving
    1/8 cup white kidney beans $.07/serving
    1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk $.29/serving
    ice (free at home)
    1tbsp cocoa powder $.06/serving

So by my calculations - this is only $1.17/protein shake.

26+g protein + tons of other nutrients, fiber, and low carb.

I love the body fortress vanilla whey protein! It is cheap, blends in great with smoothies! I even sometimes just put unsweetened vanilla almond milk with a scoop of the powder in the magic bullet to blend well. Putting raw eggs in a shake kind of freaks me out lol