Meal ideas

Options
Hello!

I imagine there's tonnes of posts like this going round MFP, but I was hoping someone (or many of you!) could help.

I work full time, and I cook meals for me and my other half every day (I do not mind, I like cooking), but sometimes I cannot be bothered to be creative with it as I am tired after work (usually towards the end of the week).

Can anyone suggest meal ideas that are not vegetarian (we're both meat fans) - that are quick to cook, but adjustable for me so I can have less calories. My other half is skinny and loves his food!

Replies

• pikselinka
    pikselinka Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Used to had the same problems, looks at these websites ;)

http://www.eatthismuch.com
    http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/
  • TheArmadillo
    TheArmadillo Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Have you got a slowcooker/crock pot? The days I work and I have to have food ready soon after getting home that has to be suitable for the 2 small ones plus my husband it is a godsend. I fry off onions/spices etc in the evening before going to bed and stick them in the slow cooker with the meat/sauce in the morning before I go out. I tend to serve with rice so just needs boiling which is not much effort.

I have a recipe for chicken and chorizo stew on my blog which the kids love.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/TheArmadillo/view/chicken-and-chorizo-stew-294599

Or I do a chicken curry using a curry paste when I really can't be bothered - fry off the onions and curry paste. Stick in slow cooker with chicken breast, passata or tinned tomatoes, and then I stick in some frozen spinach and maybe some diced peppers or courgettes (zucchini).

Sometimes I do baked chicken/pork/beef plain or with a dry spice rub or something like harrisa mixed with water with a quick salad and some bread (I get part baked baguettes to keep in the oven) or jacket potatoes (can do sweet or white).

With regards to the higher calories just give him a bigger portion, or sometimes I skip the carbs, or have bread/potatoes without butter (with jacket potatoes I use 0% fat cream cheese instead). Or add cheese to their portion (if suitable) and not yours.

edit to put in link
  • catfyson
    catfyson Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'm afraid I don't have a slow cooker!

My other half is very much a 'meat, potato and 2 veg' kinda guy (aka very british!) but I find that way too much effort during the week. I do not eat curry so that's out of the question too. I think the problem is, we're both too fussy in different ways!
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    I do plenty of bulk cooking - today as a matter of fact, Im due to hit the grocery store and come home to get busy.

I make everything in advance: 10# meatballs, individual meatloaves, pre-pat my own burgers, make marinades for chicken, turkey, pork and beef, make season-rubs for pork butt, roasts, whole roaster chickens and halved turkeys.

Homemade pasta sauce, homemade stocks.

Ill deliberately purchase double the vegetable amounts: half fresh in the fridge, the other half has been broken down and frozen for future meals. I make my own vegetable mixes.

Ill prep up a couple pounds of peppers, onions, mushrooms, etc.

I make up a batch of shredded cabbage for multiple purposes.

Zucchini and summer squash gets made into "noodles" and stored in water for when Im ready to use it.

Roast up 2-3lbs of gahhhhhhlic to make butter compounds, roasted garlic paste, and for the occasional pop-on-in-my-mouth-because-it-tastes-like-freakin-CANDY!!!!!!!!

When fresh berries are on sale, I will buy in bulk - divide in half: half in fridge, half in freezer for future protein smoothies.

By doing bulk cooking, I alleviate most of the leg-work during the work week, I just take out what need two days in advance: put it in the fridge to properly thaw.

By doing bulk cooking, I can hit the gym at 4:30am, go to work, come home, get dinner going, and be in bed at a reasonable time.